night setup

zpurdy

i've been reading the post about night hunting and i've got a good setup in an old corn crib i use for a blind i just need some help with the lighting issue, do you guys keep one dim light on just to scan the area at all times and then a spot light to blind them when you see them, or do you just spot light them when you hear them close enough to shoot. i have 3 different lights i can use, a maglite, 18 volt spotlight with rechargeable battery and a spot light, are these all i would need? and i've already checked the regs in WV, and have the proper equipment.

Do you have a red lens/filter.......

Don't shoot unless you know what it is, you could be killing the dog next door,Identfiy what it is before you shoot, scan with the light and try not to keep the brightest of the light (halo)on them, Untill they come with-in you range, if you don't have a scope light, than you need a buddy to hold the light so you can shoot........

Some VHS/dvd's to watch, would answer a lot of your Questions.....

Hunting the Night Shift.......is a very good teaching tool
by Randy Watson,Buker......teachs Safety,respect for ones property, how and when to shoot with a light......

zpurdy
Gee, you must have good ears. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
What was said earlier.
Keep one light on at all times works best for me. But what do I know, I'm just a varmint hunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Later
DF2

yeah, i've got all the equipment, just wanted to hear your guys techniques on using lights and scanning because this will be the first time i'll be night hunting.
and yes i have all the legal equipment needed to night hunt

Most rechargable (Inexpensive) Lights had a life of 20 Min.

Ours has a 2 1/2 Hour-Life full-on and 6-7 hours using The BPS on the battery bag........go from a candle light to full-power on a 180 deg. turn......

The Lightforce Differnce......

i just saw this and was wondering if i charged the battery(6 volt 4.5 amp) already in the light and plugged in the cigarette lighter hooked up to a 6 volt 7 amp hour battery and ran it while it was plugged in and already charged if this would help it last longer than 20 minutes, keep in mind i don't have enough money to go out and buy anything better than the vector spotlight i got at lowes

could anyone tell me what type of 12v lightbuld will fit into a spotlight that i could buy at advance auto, lowes, radio shack, etc...

I know Mark and Dave. They are great guys. I used to live in Cross Lanes. You can PM me. I just wacked a coyote this past weekend. Ill help you all I can.

When I first started I used a regular 6-volt lantern that you can buy at Wal-Mart. We brought several into shooting range with it. Your maglite will also work. The key is, once you see eyes don’t shine the light directly into their eyes. Lift the light up just enough so you can see the eyes in the Halo of the light. I wouldn’t use your big one 1 million to scan with if it only burns for 20 minutes. I would use the big light to spot them just before you shoot .It will help you identify your target and get a clearer shot picture. Be ready when you hit them with the big spot because they will not stay there long. With coyotes you need to shoot them with the first good shot you have available. Sometimes they come in like your pulling them in with a rope then in a split second they spook and its over. Keep the light in front of you. That sounds simple but in the moment of truth the shooter will accidentally step into the light or if hunting alone you will shine it on yourself trying to get adjusted. (Scope lights take care of a lot of this) As long as what your calling only sees the light and you don’t blind them and everything else is in place its scary how close they will come. Your maglite wont glow in the dark but if you pick up another light at Wally World try to find one that the body doesn’t glow when its turned on. Your light is probably bright enough, that you can put a piece of red cellophane over the front of the lens. Just wrap it over the lens and put a rubber band around it. Some guys use a red marker and color the lens. You may be surprised how far out you can see their eyes with a red light even though it doesn’t look very bright. Using red light will also help you see better at night because it doesnt close your pupils like a harsh white light. The red light is also less spooky because it doesn’t cast shadows. You can test it on dogs and cats at home. I think your limited to rimfires and shotguns so you’re not going to need a lot of light power for distance like guys in the West.
You will see a lot of high end products on this site and they are nice but most everyone started with the basics. I’m almost embarrassed to say that I have about all of it. Just don’t start Duck hunting with Dave. I had to build a 20x40-ft barn for decoys and stuff. Good luck!

Another method for creating a red lens...get a bottle of clear nail polish(your wife won't miss it) and one or two red ink ball point pens. Cut the ends off the ink pens and blow the ink (like a straw) into the nail polish. Mix thoroughly, and with the light supported pour the mix on the lens. After an hour or so it creates a perfect red tint. If you aren't happy with the results it can be removed with polish remover or Acetone and redone. It really woks great!

You can also pick up some red tape used for brake lights on cars. You find this at auto part store. Just tape on,and it comes right off if you need it to!!

We made our red lenses out of thin plexiglass, and we went to a window tinting shop and bought a piece of red window tint. We then measured out the different sized lenses that we needed and cut them out with a band saw. We then installed the red window tint on the cutout plexiglass and there you have it. We made about 6 or 7 lenses for approximately $10 and they have worked very well, even with our q-beams.

Back