240 grain .41 mag bullets

deadeyerichard

I have a Taurus .41 mag pistol. I've been really impressed with it. I've been shooting the 240 grain Winchester Supreme Platinum Tips out of it. I've been impressed with the accuracy and like the heavy for caliber bullet. I shot one of these bullets into some sand recently and it failed to expand at all. Sand is obviously not an animal and it was at close range, but it got me thinking and worrying. I would like to hear of some others' experience with these bullets. I would also like to here about some other options in a 240 grain bullet. Thanks in advance for anyones help.

I've been shooting and hunting with handguns since the early 60's and have used both the 44 and 41 magnums. I've found that a hardcast lead bullet does better on game than any of the jacketed bullets I tried.

Once I started shooting hardcast lead my one shot kills increased a bunch. If you don't cast give Beartooth bullets cast bullets a try. Marshall Stanton lives here in Northern Idaho and makes some dandy bullets.

In the last few years I became disabled to the extent I can't get up and down the mountian sides like I used to so both my 44 mags got put in younger hunters hands. I still carry and shoot a Taurus Tracker stainless 41 mag. It's got a fairly shot cylinder so it gets stoked with Lee's 210 grain hardcast tumble lube bullet cast from one of thier molds.

TaurusTracker41magnum.jpg

I head shot a 200 lb russian boar with my 41 mag Redhawk using Hornady XTP 240 gr HP's. I shot behind the left ear and out the right eye, DRT. Couldn't find the slug in the head, even took a metal detector acroos it, only found small jacket fragments throughout. I started carrying the lighter 175 gr Winchester Silver tips since. Unfortunately I haven't been able to shoot anything with them yet. I think it would take a cape buffalo to mushroom one of those 210 gr bullets at those speeds.

I've shot deer with the 240 grain platinum tip and Speers 210 grain gold dot. Both worked well IMO. Based on the damage done to buck I shot with the platinum tips I believe they exanded. I would have no worries using them again on deer.
Matt

There are several bullets that are good hunting bullets for the 41. I have yet to try the Winchester platinums, because I reload everything. If you only hunt with factory ammo, Then I believe Winchester is the only one loading the heavy bullet. www.beartoothbullets.co and www.castperformance.com both make excellent bullets in .410, but you have to watch the length, some of the heavier ones are too long for my Blackhawk and extend out of the end of the cylinder making it hard for it to revolve. If you are reloading, there are a few that I stay with and have excellent results with.
Sierra 170 and 210 gr HCs
Nosler 210 gr HP
Hornady 210 gr XTP
Remington 200 gr
Beartooth bullets 250 gr LFNGC
Cast Performance Bullets 255 gr WFNGC
Both Beartooth and CPB make heavier bullets, but I either haven't tried them or didn't have good luck with the ones I did try. I believe beartooth makes a 265, 280 and 300 gr bullet for .410 and CPB makes a 250 and 265 grainers. Was told by the original owner of CPB, that the 255 was a better bullet than the 250, but I have never tried thier 250.

I really liked the old style Hornady bullets before the XTP's came along. They really worked well and were extremely accurate. XTP's are tougher than the older ones. I have never shot Nolser in large caliber handguns.

Steve, The Noslers are the best I have found from a 41 mag. They hold 90% of their weight and expand to about .75 in tissue. A deer will do a summersault when hit with one in the shoulders. The Nosler 210 HP is the most accurate bullet I ever fired from my S&W Model 57. The Hornadys shoot better from my Ruger Blackhawk.

Thanks guys. Those are all great resources. Could some one find a link to .41 caliber nosler bullets? I'm having a hard time navigating their website. You all gave me some good info and several places to start snooping around. I appreciate the comments.

The revolver bullet is the one I use. I have not tried the partition HG. They do not make the Partition HG in a 41 and at a dollar per pop, I probably wouldnt try them any way. The Revolver bullet Number I am using is a #43012 210 grain HP. I have two unopened boxes left and the price tag is 15 per box. I wonder how old those are. LOL The 210 weight is plenty for deer around here and I would not hesitate to shoot a hog with them. I allmost had a chance last year, just couldnt get a good shot on a large boar. I had to let him walk.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/
You can sometimes get seconds here as well. Don't worry, the only thing wrong with them is either tarnished or fingerprints. We've been shooting the seconds for years, we used to get them directly from the factory, but everything goes through the pro shop. Basically a retail site for the factory.
Just looked it up, they have them in seconds for 9.45 a box of 100. Not sure what shipping is, but used to be 5.95 no matter how many boxes you got.

Last edited:
Back