Florida Yote

snookmd

My buddy and I called in this yote this past weekend and I thought you guys might enjoy seeing a Florida dog. Since I don't have a webpage to post a picture to, you'll have to look at my avatar to view him.

I'm new to this sport, but have learned a lot from your professional tips on this webpage. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I'm hooked on coyote hunting now and look forward to having something to hunt after deer season closes.

Nice coyote!! What part of FLA. are you from? I'm in GA. about 80 miles north of Tallahasse.

Last edited:
snookmd, if you want...send the pic to me at mmateyak(at)hotmail.com and I'll put it up. Or you can go to Imageshack.us and upload the pic and post it on here.

Here you go, nice yote!
Are there a lot of yotes in FL?

yotewk6.jpg

Thanks for you assistance with the picutre!

We have a huge supply of them on the property we hunt on. The biggest challenge is we have to hunt them in tight quarters most of the time. They don't seem to respond well to coming out on open pastures and such. Hopefully as my calling sequence gets better, we can coax them out into the open for some long shots.

Where in FL are you? My parents live south of Tampa...and I always see hogs running around down there...never thought there'd be a lot of yotes in FL. Also, that coat looks somewhat full...I would think they'd be pretty light coated.

We are NW of Orlando. I was surprised at how thick the coat was actually. It was very full and in great shape except for the hole that my .22-.250 made in it.

Snookmd, I recently left florida to come back to Oregon. I spent the last ten years trying to convince people that there were coyotes in florida.
I spent a lot of time hunting private property, but also hunted in the WMAs during small game season, too many wackos in there during deer season. One thing I found that worked, was to set up at road intersections. This worked best with two people because one could cover two directions and the other could cover the other two directions. Coyotes and bobcats had no problem coming out onto these narrow roadways, but location and scent control was everything. Look at your regs really close, there are several WMAs that you can hunt year round. The best place I had when I was there was the Ocala national forest. If you want to e-mail me, I could give you specific locations. There are also some regulations you can get around, I had several conversations with the director of the game and fish commision to verify, but these are the ones that are not listed specifically in the regs.
>Calling with an electronic call is legal for coyotes, because coyotes are not listed as a game species and the regs specifically state that it is illegal to use them for game animals.
>It is legal to hunt coyotes during small game season in some WMAs with a centerfire handgun, including Thompson Contenders because the regs state clearly, no centerfire rifles allowed.
>You can use any size shot in a shotgun for coyotes, again, because they are not listed as a game animal and the regs only cover shot size for game animals. If you e-mail me I can give you the name and e-mail address of an acquaintance in Tallahassee that helped me get all of this information from the game and fish commission.

Thanks for the advice Grumpy! I think we will work on the ones we have on our property for now, before venturing to the WMA's though. Like you said, too many crazy people frequent those things.

We have a Florida Wildlife guy on our lease who also happens to be an attorney. He showed us how to get a night permit from the Fish and Game to hunt the coyotes as well. We are new to the sport and are learning more how to hunt them each and every time we go out.

Luckily, we have no shortage of them, so we ought to get a lot of practice.

Can you or anyone else on this forum give me some advice as to how to call them out of a swamp and into an open pasture? We have tried this several times, but can only get them to bark back and not show their ugly face.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

We were never able to get them to come out in the open fields, so we started setting up tree stands in little pockets in the brush or near the swamps so we could get above the underbrush and see down into it or over it. Was working pretty good before I left. The problem with the open fields is that thay will come to the edge of the brush and then circle to get down wind. you may have had dozens of them come to the call, but busted you while they were still in thick cover.

Back