bait for crows?

getfoxy

Ok we have Crows in our field about 3x a week but im tired of trying to judge the days, what do you guys use for bait, i know i could use scraps but is there anything that works better?

I've used regular shelled corn with good results. Put it out and they will find it. If you have cornfields around you as I do then it's this time of year they are looking for another corn source because of the snowcover.

I see you are from Ohio. Do you have much for snowcover? Crows love an easy meal. Give it a whirl......it's cheap, too.

thanks for the reply but i dont live near a cornfield and i dont keep shelled corn on hand , so what would be good bait besides corn or scraps , like some kind of something around the house

Old loafs of bread work good, u can get them from the bakery sometimes, or buy a big jug of ketchup the huge cans that schools use works good for a bloody setup. Any road kill work well, make sure to get permits for big game transportation though.

Quote:
thanks for the reply but i dont live near a cornfield and i dont keep shelled corn on hand , so what would be good bait besides corn or scraps , like some kind of something around the house

Farm supply, garden centers, all these kinds of stores have bulk bags of shelled corn. Most places that stock bird food will have it...so check pet stores.

Our farm center will usually have a 50lb bag for 15.00 or so. It's cheap. Just pour it on the ground and you will have crows if all else is ok.

well if you lived in Wisc you could just go to one of the DNR's corn piles they have set up on public land they are easy to find just look for the quad runner tracks and they will lead you rite to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Around here they can't resist a double cheeseburger and supersized fries. No joke. Leave the wrapper and bag on the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
Are you sure baiting crows is legal? I know its illegal here in Wisconsin.Might be worth checking up on.

I don't think that "accidentally" dropping your Big Mac, and "super sized fries" counts as baiting... just remember to pick up the wrappers after your done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure baiting crows is legal? I know its illegal here in Wisconsin.Might be worth checking up on.

I don't think that "accidentally" dropping your Big Mac, and "super sized fries" counts as baiting... just remember to pick up the wrappers after your done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds like an interesting conditioned response the crows have developed there.

The best think I have found for crows is egg shells, That is a natural food for them and they can spot the color very easily. I have also used macaroni for bait That works just a well.

I dont bait crows myself but i have a friend who has been wanting me to for weeks. And he says that nothing works better than a rabbit thats been shot up to bad to eat.

Anything dead. I don't know if it is legal in Oregon but I guess spotlighting bunnies in your front field isn't considered intentional baiting.

Back