What states can you use a 223 for deer?

sevonhunter

I was just curious what states are legal for hunting deer with a 223. I just feel that I am a much better shot with the 223 then even my 243 and would make a clean shot easily. I am in the military so I go to a knew state about every three years. I'm hopeing for tennessee next.
Sevonhunter

Idaho, though I do think there are better cartridges for deer. The 223 makes a much better varmint cartridge than a deer cartridge.

Sevonhunter I'm not intending to flame anyone, but we do owe it to the game to try to make clean consistent kills.

If it's all you got then it's all you got, but for our western deer that can dress out better than 250 pounds at times cartridges with more energy seem to be more effective.

Out here most folks consider the 243 about the smallest for a deer rifle. If your participating in target shooting those skills are easily carried over to shooting larger caliber guns.

Utah, and I have used it. I think a good shot is more important than a cannon. I dont know were out here is because I see thousands of people carying rifles smaller than .243. I keep hearing about deer dressing out at 250 pounds but I have weighed some big deer and have yet to see one. Maybe their idea of dressed out is different than mine. Reguardless, the heart is about the size of your fist, and that is what I want to hit anyway.

ID Bob, I knew I would get at least one response like that. My dad worked for fish and wildlife till he retired. I am sure he would be pretty upset if I used a 223 for deer hunting. But I was curious as to state laws and how effective the 223 is on deer. I'm from Norther Nevada I also know how big western deer get. So far I have shot all my deer with a .243.

wv has legalised any centerfire, or rimfire larger than 25 cal.
I've taken close to 100 with a 223, its not the best but its adequate, I use to use the bullets intended for deer, the win pp's the nosler partitions, the bear claws, the last few I've shot with 55 gr sp's, at fairly short range and wait for the classic on side leg foreward double lung shot, they sprint 50-80 yds to a pileup.
But, our deer run small, ave. is 100-110 for a buck with a big one hitting 140. Most youngsters around here start out with a 223, and under close supervision the lil rem round does quite well for harvesting whitetails. Its one round that is light on recoil, and its economical to shoot, so they have the opprotunity to aquire more trigger time leading to alot of confidance, and better shooting ability
RR

Quote:
ID Bob, I knew I would get at least one response like that. My dad worked for fish and wildlife till he retired. I am sure he would be pretty upset if I used a 223 for deer hunting. But I was curious as to state laws and how effective the 223 is on deer. I'm from Norther Nevada I also know how big western deer get. So far I have shot all my deer with a .243.

I do know folks that are using rifles chambered in the 223, 22-250 class of rifles for deer hunting. Keep in mind I grew up hunting in the early 60's and 70's and most all of the bullets designed for those calibers were very fragile and designed for mostly varmints. These bullets tended to wound deer sized game way more often than kill them.

As bullet technology has advanced hunters using these smaller calibers have ask for better constructed bullets and some manufacturers are now making heavily constructed bullets for hunters seeking bigger game.

At my age I'll probably never consider those .224 cartridges large enough for big game. Just keep in mine my deer rifle has been one of Remington's 8mm mags since 1978.

You just keep hunting with what ever you like to, just use the appropriate bullets for the game being chased. Course if you come to Idaho please note the sign on the highway coming across the border. "Welcome to Idaho, Please set your clocks back 20 years".

NY, you can use ANY centerfire rifle OR pistol catridge, from the .25ACP to the mighty .17 centerfires. I don't care who uses 'em as long as they know what they're doing.

Back