Anyone shooting a 17BR!!!!!!!

Mark Alan

Just wondering how many 17cal. wildcat shooters there are out there . Just built my second 17BR on a 700 REM action , every coyote shot withit so far has dropped like a rock! can not wait to shot in the varmint contest coming up Jan.12 . Thanks! Mark

The 17BR is new to a lot of us.

What is the parent brass?
How is it formed?
How does case capacity compare to the 17MachIV or 17Rem?

Heard alot about the 20 BR but not the 17, been thinking of maybe a 17ppc in an AR upper ya think thats possible?
RR

------------------
Born to hunt, Forced to work

The brass starts out as a 6BR . I built it to shoot the heaver 17cal. bullets 29grain and up to 30gr.It shoots a 30gr Hammett bullet at 4050fps wth no pressure signs . I know thats not that fast, I have not tried many loads yet . I'm using VVN550 powder , it seems to burn clean and the accuracy is fine to. the only bad thing is that I'm just about to run out of the hammett bullets and there no longer making bullets.I really have enjoyed shooting this rifle the coyotes and bobcats just drop like a rock when shot! Thanks! Mark

Berger makes 17 bullets from 15 to 37 grain.

It takes a 6" twist for the 37s. When you look down the barrel, it looks like somebody threaded it inside.

jack at first the 37gr bullet is what I was going to shoot, but I have a friend that was having lots of trouble getting his to shot well in a 17PPC, so I built a 1 & 9 twist to shoot the more plentiful 30gr bullet. I hope the 17BR catches on like the 22BR . I know that a lot of shooters think that is over bore . I like it for the quality brass . Thanks! Mark

Mark
You are probably better off with what you did. I built a 6" twist 17Rem on a 40X action for a friend to shoot in 1000 yard NRA matches. He did pretty good for a while, but started getting blow-ups at less than 600 rounds. The 17BR probably would get blow-ups at 400 or less.

I agree with you about the VV powders in the larger cases. Better velocity, great accuracy, and very clean burning.

Back