anybody ever bought "factory second bullets?"

txagyotebuster

i have heard of people buying factory second bullets that have "cosmtic flaws" i was wondering what kind of flaws these would have? and where can you find them?

I have bought "pulled" or "demilled" bullets. It's where the bullet is pulled for surplus military ammo.

Light nicks or dings on the bearing surface (part that rubs the riflings) is okay, and even LIGHT dings on the ogive and meplat ("taper section & point") will only SLIGHTLY harm accuracy. But believe it or not, the worst place to have nicks/scratches is on the base of the bullet.

Enjoy!

Nosler sells seconds from there website. Its something like shootersproshop. Anyways, they sell 2nds in anything from BT, to PTs, and AB's, and from people that shoot them, they can see very litle decrease in accuracy, if any at all.

"Factory second bullets" are not the same as once-pulled bullets which wil exhibit some signs of being pulled.

Factory seconds like Nosler and other sell, are bullets that simply have mostly "cosmetic" problems like stained jackets, off color polymer tips, and issues like those. Some may be off weight slightly and thus not meet design parameter requirements. Generaly they peform just like the ones in the boxes on dealer shelves, they just aren't as "pretty" for some reason. And they have never been loaded in cartridges.

They are generally very good buys when they are available. Most PD's won't care if the polymer tip that just hit them is more pink than red, or whatever...

-BCB

I have used thousands of factory "blems" and they give every bit the accuracy in my experience as the factory "pretty" bullets. The blemishes I note are copper discoloration, a soft point a little dinged or blunted, from its brothers, sometimes a minute difference from cannelure placement or ogive placement. Some are ammo production bullet overruns. I'm a mostly low volume field shooter and I could never blame a problem on a bullet, and most of mine are shot in range testing of loads, Just shooting for the enjoyment, etc. Junk would show quick. Nosler sells some I recall, and Hornady too. Lock Stock & Barrrel sells the Hornady, or inquire at Nosler. But they don't last long when they are up for sale. What tresmon said too, except they still shoot better than me. Just remember that on FMJ bullets overages and pulldowns they are produced to a military specification of accuracy not as good as sporting bullets. I have sorted by ogive and weight and not found it worth the effort. Just go shoot a Ghog and don't worry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

My buddy shoots a lot of Nosler factory seconds and they are tack drivers. I don't know first hand about any other manufacurer's "seconds" quality.

I used to shoot a bunch of Speer's seconds til they dried up down at Lewiston, ID. Made great ground squirrel bullets and were darned accurate.

The seconds are usually production from machines that went slightly out of tolerance by a few thousandths and were manufactured before the error was caught.

I wouldn't use them for competition.

The bullets will probably still perform better than most people can shoot.

A lot of the bulk bullets you see at gun shows are factory seconds.

I don't like factory second girl friends, scopes, rifles etc. unless I know what the specific defect is. Then I can make an informed decision whether or not the defect will become a negative for my intended purpose.

If I were you I would not shoot any 2nds from Nosler like the 185gr 30 cal Partitions or 22 cal 55 grain BTs. That would make more avalable for ME.

When you can get them they cost a lot less and shoot just as good. Go for it.

BTW the more you buy from Nosler the shipping stays the same, at least as far as I can tell. Order up and enjoy.

The only Blems that I have tried were some 230 gr starfire 45 cal slugs. I never could get them to open when firing them from my 1911 clone . Even with loads above max. I called Eldorado Cartrige company to ask what powder/velocity i needed to run them at to get them to expand. I was told that they didn't sell them for reloading and that I must have gotten ahold of some blems that someone stole from the factory.

So.....I pushed tham about 1300 fps(book est.) out of my 45LC and boy did they ever expand. Turned em into flying ash trays.

Those Rem 150's would probably do the same thing if they were first run.

Nothing wrong with seconds exept they are hard to come by. Everyone buys them up as fast as they are for sale.

Back