Foxpro Jack-in-the-box worth the money?

ckmate69

Before I spend a hundred bucks tonight , can anyone give me the pros and cons of the fox pro jack in the box? Had any success with it?

Welcome to Predator Masters, ckmate69.

Pros: It works very well. Long battery life. Ability to operate remotely.

Cons: It's a little larger than some others. It's easy to accidentally turn on (I remove the batteries when done). It's more expensive than some.

I use mine more than any of my others, if that tells you anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Get it. Used one for the first time this weekend and I'm a believer. It was windy as hell so we set up cross-wind from the call and decoy, about 60 yards away. Not a minute into the call had a coyote come in straight down wind of the decoy and present an easy shot. She was honed in on the decoy and didn't pay a lick of attention to us.

Although I have not killed anything over it yet I really like how it moves and the fact that it can be used by my FoxPro remote. I also like the chirping sound it makes. I hunt in North Central PA in the thick stuff and I am hoping it distracts the coyote from me when it approaches. Yes it is bulky but I carry a backpack and it tucks nicely into it. Besides if you kill something over it will be the best investment you have ever made, and if you don't get something right away you will wonder if you spent your $$$$ wisely. Good luck

Love mine. Battery's last a long time, great movement, different settings, chirp setting is nice.

Only complaint is the carrying handle is too small when your wearing warm gloves.

Plus its just fun to hunt over. I don't use it all the time, but always use it when I am hunting more open areas.

Used mine Saturday night and killed 2 foxes over it. When they saw it, it was like they were on a string so to speak. The light on the JIB is cool also. The second fox was actually spooked off and called back in as if he was hypnotised by it. By the way, where you located?

Last edited:
The only con I had is like nmleon said they are easy to accidently bump on. The second time I used mine I was walking down an old railroad bed. I kept hearing the chirping sound. At first I thought there was a squirrel making noise at me, but it kept following me. I figured it must be some kind of bird mad at me. It went all the way to my truck and finally I realized I bumped the sound switch on! I felt like an idiot, but at least I know to make sure and check the switches when I'm done.

I started pulling one battery out between sits and stuffing it in the decoy body to prevent rattle. Bea 175 has a great idea on another post by covering the switches with an outdoor recepticle cover.

Ya'll convinced me. Bought one last Sunday and can't wait to try it out! Very cool indeed and some nice features. Drove the cat insane with it! Works perfect with my Foxpro caller/remote. Have been down with the flu since I bought it and haven't been able to get out.
I'm hunting the George Washington national forest in Virginia. (Live in Edinburg, ARCOREY!) Lots of Greys, reds, and VERY skittish Coyotes.
Would appreciate any tips and tricks as this is my first year at predator hunting. Have already had a good year, so I'm hoping it'll keep getting better.
Thanks for all the replies!

Here is what ARCOREY is talking about to keep it from getting turned on by accident. I used a outlet cover from Home Depot.

JIB2.jpg

JIB1.jpg

Finally got out with the jack-in-the box and called in a.....Raccoon! [beeep]! Oh well, I verified my theory of #4 buckshot on small animals!
I was only out for an hour and only one set up. Still weak from the flu. It'll get well used this coming weekend.
Bobtails you must have had one hell of an exciting night! Did you get them all?? Was it yotes or foxes??

It was during the day and as soon as I turned the JIB on there was a coyote 200 yrds. on top of the hill as soon as I saw him he took off for the JIB. At 75 yrds. I was squeaking at him and suddenly he turned and ran down the draw. After about a min of trying to get him back there was another coyote right where the first one came from he took off and went down the draw also. So by now I am scatching my head and trying to figure out what went wrong, well I look over and off to my right about 200 yrds. there was a big male looking right at the JIB. I tried everything in the next ten min to get him to come in or even turn for a broadside shot. Finally I let one go at him and the bullet just cleared over the top of his back and off he ran. But it was very exciting none the less! I think because it was such a large coyote standing there when the other two saw it it ran off.

USED the JIB Friday evening and had an owl grab it!!! Thankfully he couldn't get the critter off the wire but it was one hell of a comotion!!! I couldn't believe my eyes...and just had to laugh!
Have created my own decoy topper. Looks like a vole and is about 1/4 the size of the other. Had a theory that Greys might be a little put off by the size and the Raccoon tail. Any thoughts?

ckmate,

The coon topper will work great on foxes as well. I have heard some people say that a fox would not respond to the topper, but this simply is not true. I (and many others) have had fox charge the decoy. It is my topper of choice for any predator.
As far as the switches go, we have now changed the switches to a low profile switch, and the Jack-in-the-Box will now come standard with 2 toppers, the additional one being the little rabbit. Here are some photos:

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_29423.JPG

Rabbit%20Top.jpg

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Quote:
ckmate,

The coon topper will work great on foxes as well. I have heard some people say that a fox would not respond to the topper, but this simply is not true. I (and many others) have had fox charge the decoy. It is my topper of choice for any predator.
As far as the switches go, we have now changed the switches to a low profile switch, and the Jack-in-the-Box will now come standard with 2 toppers, the additional one being the little rabbit. Here are some photos:

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_29423.JPG

Rabbit%20Top.jpg

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

When does this new one come out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I am just about to buy one for my foxpro but will wait if it is coming out soon.

Looks like that would be the way to go if it isn't too long to get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tac223,

They should be ready to ship in approx 2-3 weeks, or sooner. The new price of the decoy is $119.95 plus shipping. If you want to order one, just phone and request to order one of the new JIB's.

Back