Good brass for 22-250

SNOWJW

Looking to buy some brass for my 22-250. Mostly going to shoot PD's so why is the Norma brass so spendy to say the remington brass??? Is the remington brass junk??? Thanks

I've been shooting Remington brass for over 30 years and have never had any problems with them. I suppose, if you wre going to shoot competition, you might have to weed through a batch, but for hunting purposes, they work fine. The big difference would be thickness from lot to lot. I usually keep lots seperate for that reason, but with my 7-30 Waters, I use fireformed 30-30 brass picked up from wherever I can get it. For the most part, I keep seperated by brand, unless I start see problems, then I will weigh each one and seperate by weight.

Norma is, well, Norma. Their QA is a lot stricter than bulk brass manufacturers. If you're wanting to do some real bench shooting, get Norma. If you're going to be blasting PD's get Remington or Winchester bulk brass. That stuff is fine for the recreational shooter. But, if you have the money to throw away, then go ahead and buy the Norma.

Norma brass is not as good as Norma thinks they are, to me, they are not worth the money.
I do like Winchester brass better than the R-P, they are stronger, but I find R-P is little more uniform at the neck.
One other maker I have an eye out for is Nosler but I have not taken the plunge...yet. waiting to hear the feedbacks from the field. Any one have exprience with Nosler 250 brass please jump in.

hello...i bought 100 round's of the nosler...have re-sized three time's so far..i'm not a high tech reloader by any mean's..."however" i'm very pleased with the quality of this product...they measure right at 1.902-1.904...case neck's look good...i prime them & load them...spendy though..so far they don't stretch much either...

That's good to hear about the noslers, I'll pick some up this weekend. How do the primer pockets look? My only complaint about remington is the primer pockets are round and not flat.

It is when compared to the Norma case. However, for PD shooting I don't think it will matter. I prefer WW brass for the long haul.

I for one won't pay Norma prices for their brass, it is good brass but not worth the premium IMO. I use Winchester as well, but keep hoping that Lapua will produce 22-250 brass someday. I'm sold on Lapua brass for my 308....

Quote:
hello...i bought 100 round's of the nosler...have re-sized three time's so far..i'm not a high tech reloader by any mean's..."however" i'm very pleased with the quality of this product...they measure right at 1.902-1.904...case neck's look good...i prime them & load them...spendy though..so far they don't stretch much either...

Dave what sizing method are you using?

Winchester brass is all I have used for the past several years.

SNOWJW
I have used a lot of brass in the last 25 + years for the 22-250 and I have come to stay strickly with WW casings.

Several months back I sent around 80 some Rem 22-250 casing off to one of our forum members here, it was all brand new, I just won't use it anymore.

The WW cases have proven over the years to be much better quailty. Now as far as Norma....I wouldn't buy any, not for the price that they want.

I buy Winchester in bulk, and am very happy with it. Lasts me 5+ loadings with moderate charges.

The only reason I would buy premium brass like Lapua or Norma, would be to fireform Ackleys or wildcats.

Wish I could get LC brass like I do for my .223, that stuff just won't die! And dirt cheap.

Thanks Dave, I was trying to get a feel if Nosler brass actually stretched less than the WW, prolonging cartridge life.

I've never used the Nosler brass.

The biggest setback on the 22-250 brass I have is the primer pocket gets too big to hold a primer after about 4~5 reload. I don’t see much case stretching, if any after the first firing.

wyocoyoter...yes it stretch's less...i'm sorry i really can't say if it prolong's brass life i don't know at this point..at this point i like this stuff...yet as mentioned it is spendy...worth it ?? who know's ?? i think it's a convience thing less time trimming...less prep time..sometime's time is money...not alway's just at time's...good luck !!

buzzbee is right...i used a small amount of remmy brass at the fourth reload the primer seated squishy for lack of a better word...i guess i"ll see on the nosler's...i didn't feel good about the primer seating on the remmy's & wound up pitching them...probably would have been ok...who know's ?? alway's something to think about...

If you use the Federal Match primers you can get one or two more loadings on the 250 brass as they seat much tighter than the Winchesters.

buzz...we most be posting @ the same time...i like the nosler better..grabbing random sample's of nosler/w.w./remmy/the measurment's meaning max length & measuring the shoulder with a stoney point headspace gauge...have proved to be more consistant with the nosler..new unfired brass...all that being said you have far more experiance than i do...please take my comment's for what they are...now all that being said will a volume shooter appreciate the difference ?? probably not...for a guy like me plinking a few hundred round's annually...well what the heck...

Those primer pockets getting loose is always an indication of high pressure loads. I do it myself but it is not the brass but too much powder that causes it.

Jack

Back