Case Mouth Lubrication

You can put either graphite or case resizing lube on a Q-tip and swirl it around the inside of the case neck. It may spill over a bit but that's nothing major. Simply wipe it off with a clean rag. Graphite usually works well. Case lube always works well. After you have resized get the case lube wiped out of the inside of the neck though. Otherwise, the powder will stick to it later when you charge your cases. I prefer using graphite, but occasionally you'll deal with an expander button that requires more for easy operation.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

When neck sizing brass I use ground mica. Just dip the case neck in the mica then run a brush into the neck to distribute it. Been using the kit sold by Midway - only $6 or $7. You can load these cases immediately 'cuz the mica won't affect the powder, etc.

When full-length resizing I stand the cases up on their bases in a coffee can, then hold the can at a 30-45 degree angle and give them a quick spritz of spray case lube. Only a second. The lube enters the case mouth as well as the outside of the case.

Then shake the cases around real good to distribute the lube and let them dry some. After resizing I throw them in the tumbler w/corn cob to clean off lube and polish 'em.

Swede

------------------
Member NRA, ISRA, VHA

Take an empty film canister and cut open some shotgun shells and dump the BB's in the plastic film canister. Use number 9 shot or smaller if you can. Put about a teaspoon of mica in and put the cap on and shake it up (make sure the cap is on and you hold the top and bottom). Remove the cap and dip the case mouth and neck in. The BB's will go up inside and lubricate the neck. That's why you want to use small shot. If the shot is too big it won't go in the mouth or only one BB will go in. Then I put the cap on and shake it up every now and then as the mica settles to the bottom. When I am done sizing I use a cloth and wipe off the outside of the cases. I have never had a problem with any powder contamination.

[This message has been edited by Dale in OK (edited 01-19-2002).]

You learn something new all the time.

I have been an avid reloader for over 40 years and I think this is the first I have heard about using mica. Of course I may have heard it and forgot it. That CRS virus comes around every now and then.

Where do you get powdered mica?

I mostly use bushing dies, which don't use an expander, but still use some dies with expanders.

Hey Aussie Eddiev, I use superfine mica powder like m65swede and Dale in OK. It works great lubes he inside & outside of the neck for the sizing/depriming die. First I lube the outside of the case on a pad with case lube then I dip the neck in mica I always tap the shell against the inside of the mica container to get the excess out. Then I clean off the lube, seat the primer, fill the case with the powder charge and seat the bullet with seating die. I don't know where you buy it in Austrailia but over here I get it from Midway in Missouri. Good Day Mate!

Hey Jack,
I get mine from Midway as well. A little goes a long way. When I am FL sizing I use Imperial Die Wax and rub my thumb and fore finger in and pick up a case dip it in my mica container and size and then pick up the next case. I can do several cases before needing more Wax. The Wax goes a looooong way as well. Then I wipe of the outside of the case with a cloth and am ready to go.

Eddie: If you can't find a supply for Mica, graphite should work the same. I am not sure if Midway ships out of the US (especially since Mica is a fine white powder).

[This message has been edited by Dale in OK (edited 01-20-2002).]

Originally posted by Jack Roberts:
Where do you get powdered mica?

JR: Mica is available from Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/ and others. Midway product number is 290-522 for a 4oz jar; costs $ 7.99. I figure that jar is a lifetime supply for me!
smile.gif

Their Case Neck Lube kit has several nylon brushes on a stand plus a smaller amount of mica. Its product number is 197-010; costs $ 10.79.

Swede

------------------
Member NRA, ISRA, VHA

Wayne, I used to use graphite but switched to Mica. They both work real well, but with graphite I always get my hands so black. I have a snuff can I use. I have no 12 shot in it and just add a spoon full of Mica everyonce in a while and shake it. The smaller the shot you get the better it will work. The brushes that Mid-Way sells should also do a real good job, but I`ve been doing it this way since befor I ever heard of Mid-Way and I`m to old to change now.

------------------
catfish

I use mica once in a while if the cases seem "sticky" to drag the expander through... but mostly what I do is chuck a correctly sized (meaning tight fit) bronze bore brush in my cordless drill, and use it to clean out the inside of the case necks. It isn't abrasive enough to remove any brass from the inside of the case neck, but does clean all the carbon and microscopic grit and dirt from the inside surface of the neck.

Seems like on anything smaller than 30 caliber this works very well, and I don't have any trouble. Clean brass dragging over clean steel doesn't stick much. I haven't gotten any carbide expander buttons yet, but that would work even better.

Back