FULL METAL JACKET

DEFCON

Anyone ever trid FMJ Bullets for yotes and the like.
I got 200 .22 55 gr FMJBT to reload 22-250 cause they cost $11.00. I also have rem. 55gr psp. I'd like to hear any reports of their actual use.
Thanks
DEFCON

They simply don't work worth a darn. Lots of runoffs. This was supposed to be the cure for hide damage but it's not. Stay with jacketed bullets.

I tried these for about six months years ago when coyote hide prices were pretty good in my 22-250. Thought I'd save the pelt sewing damage that regular 22=250 loads do. First six yotes shot three ran off and after two and a half hours of tracking I finally gave up. Better to shoot a fur friendly gun such as the 17 Rem or the 204 if your planning on harvesting.

I wouldn't even consider them. Run-offs and No finds will increase no doubt. FMJ's = 0 expansion = bad news. I would go for a psp of some sort. I would much rather have a DRT bullet. Much cleaner & ethical kills can be made with a better bullet choice.

FMJ's are not fur bullets. You have got to get your hand on the fur in order to save it. You will experience a high ratio of runoffs compared to a non FMJ bullet. The PSP would be a better choice. Besides I didn't experience very good accuracy with the only FMJ I ever loaded. Haven't tried them since. You will get ricochets with the FMJ also.

Thanks for the feedback.
I got the FMJs for target practice and working up loads cause they were cheap.
I plan to use 55gr. rem power lokt AND PSP for hunting, They are not cheap.
Thanks
DEFCON

Back