How to ask?

FOTOPROOF

I want to email a couple ranches that raise cattle and offer my time and a good effort /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if they have a problem with predators on the ranch. Any insight into how to ask permission would be appreciated. I just want to present well.
THNX

weedwalker has the right idea--personal contact. Phone calls and e-mails are very impersonal and it is far easier for them to say no to someone they haven't even seen than to a real live person standing in front of them. That way they get a chance to size you up. Over the phone or Internet, they don't know who you are.

However, once you have made the personal contact and gotten permission, then a phone call well before the next season starts usually works. Another thing that really keeps the welcome mat out is if you are able to bag some coyotes or other predators on their land and stop by to let them see that you can do the job!!

Quote:
Ask in person. I don't think you'll get much thru e-mail.

I agree.
I look at this way:
If I was the land owner, which would I prefer...to have someone contact me in person, so I could see who I'm talking to & try to gauge how this person will treat me/the land. Would a phone call turn me off?
I know I would be turned off by either an email or phone call.
If the hunter couldn't take the time to talk to me face to face, then how is he going to take the time to hunt right?

What I've been doing here lately is asking for coyotes,groundhogs & crows only. I never ask for deer or turkey. It just comes naturally.

FOTOPROOF,

As has been already stated. Ask in person. Would you let some stranger in your yard/house. Without, ever first meeting them in person? I wouldn't.

Be honest, courteous, respectfull & get to the point. About hunting their land.

Don't forget to squirt a little coyote urine or skunk musk on the passenger side tires. Just a little something to keep the farmers dogs busy on the other side, while you head for the door to ask........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I go to the door with a fifth of Jack Daniels in one hand and a bible in the other. Ring the doorbell and put both hands behind your back. When the landowner answers the door, tell him to pick a hand- right or left. You have a fifty-fifty shot. I'll take those odds anyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan that is funny. I dont think I could pull that one off. Never hurts to put on the good salesman tricks though. Compliment his ranch/farm, pet his dog, ask about his critters/crops. I normally start off asking if they have or have had any predator issues. Breaks the ice. If they have issues, sold deal. If they have had in the past, its a cracked door you just need to open up a bit more.

Good luck

Start with a handshake and with your manners. Good morning sir how are you, how 'bout this weather. I don't want to take up too much of your time but have you seen any coyotes around these parts. I was hunting down the road last week and saw alot of tracks but didn't get to see any. I was trying to get me a couple of coyotes so that maybe they wouldn't bother the local herds around here, and go from there. Ranchers don't like people forcing themselves onto them. They like there spaces.

I always ask in person. Like others said, be personable, shake hands and be polite. Dress presentable, you dont have to wear a suit or anything, but dont show up in a ghillie suit or hip waders either.
Where I live I usually have no problem getting land to trap or predator hunt. Deer hunting is the opposite; I get about a 10-15% permission rate. Turkey runs about 30-40% in the fall and 50-60% in the spring. My biggest problem is I move too much. Develope a report with landowners and respect their wishes and land and you will find many will let you hunt, trap or whatever later on. I think the biggest reason my deer hunting permission rates run low is not because they hunt the land themselves, but because other people ruined it for me. Many will tell me right out that someone shot near their house, shot their dog a few years ago, rutted up their fields, things like that. Many do hunt deer on their own land or have family/friends that hunt it, but not like many people think.
I made up a brochure type thing for myself and I have found that landowners are impressed with it. It has all my information on it, my name, phone number, address, vehicle (including license #), etc. I also put the fact that I have 18 years of hunting experience and 10 years trapping experience. I put that I have taken a trapping safety course and hunter's safety course (both are required in Wisconsin, but not everyone knows that unless they hunt or trap themselves). I am state certified in firearms as part of being certifiable in law enforcement so that's in there. I put the clubs I belong to (for me Wisconsin Trapper's Association, National Trapper's Association, Fur Takers of America, Ducks Unlimited and Whitetails Unlimited). Put anything that shows you are a person that knows what you're doing. They like to know that you know what you're doing and they dont have to worry about you shooting their pets or livestock or shooting at their house.
I have in mine the Wisconsin statute that protects landowners in case I am hurt or anything I do. Wisconsin's statute is 895.52 and I have that spelled out for them. Not all landowners know that and fear if I am hurt they would be liable for me since I'm on their land. I am sure other states have similar laws so check it out and put it in there.
Then I have reasons to allow trapping and hunting on their land. I spell out the whole carrying capacity theory about disease and starvation etc. I put in there a little on how today's traps work. Keep in mind that unless people hunt or trap themselves they may not know how it works. Some people think traps are barbaric torture devices with teeth etc. I have in there that traps with teeth are illegal and were retired decaded ago. I have in there that traps are checked every 24 hours (Wisconsin law and my preference) they may think (as many do) that an animal held in a trap is sitting there writhing in pain for days and/or starving. Educate them a little. It's nice to have the brochure for people who aren't sure or don't want to commit to a yes right there on the spot. I leave the brochure, they can read through it when it's convenient for them and they then have my contact information to get back to me with an answer later.
Once you get permission, respect it! They pay taxes on that land and are generous enough to allow you on it. I personally hate hunting or trapping public land (too much hunting pressure, trap theft etc.) so I greatly appreciate getting on private land. Don't drive where you aren't supposed to or create ruts in their fields. Obviously don't leaver trash behind. Dont put your carcasses on their land for their dog to drag back to the house. I find a few that will allow me on the land only at certain times (especially during deer season). Respect that. Dont try sneaking in and playing dumb. Basically use your head.
Once you hunt or trap on their land for a season or two and they see you are respecting their land you will have a spot for years to come and possibly may find they'll let you hunt deer or turkey later on too. I recommend you make something similar for landowners, it works out great.

I am a land owner and I find this topic interesting.

lets pretend your knocking on my door. Approach this situation knowing that as a stranger and an admitted hunter you will have roused my suspicion. My house is way off the road so when a stranger shows up at the door it's unusual. Make sure you stop by at a decent hour . If my wife answers the door your screwed. Years of dealing with deer hunters have left her cold and heartless towards anything wearing camo. If your fortunate enough to get me you might have a chance. Either way Introduce yourself and state your business promptly. If it's deer season I'm gonna say no. If it hasn't rained in 6 months and you smell like an ash trey: I'll have visions of what little grass I have going up in a blaze, and I will say no. If you smell like beer: I will have visions of aluminum cans glistening in the morning sunshine up and down my roads, and I will say no. Now suppose you pass this intial screening. If you don't look like an idiot ,and nothing completely beyond your control has put me in a sour mood prior to your arrival, I will probably say yes. But the first time you leave a gate open, cut ruts in my roads, drop even the most miniscule piece of trash, shoot within ear shot of my house, mistake a full grown horned cow with big yellow tags in it's ears for a hog (this did happen), brake a water line, leave brass on the ground or do anything to aggrivate my wife Your invotation will be revoked.

good luck

The last two responses have been great. Sound advice from two gentlemen. We appreciate your honesty oldcp, that is a view that nobody has voiced. My friends have a ranch and that is the same way that I treat their land, and anytime that I do go out I make sure and stop by their house to let them know that I am no longer on the ranch and if I got anything, and to tell them thanks again.

As a land owner too I can say do not wear camo when you go to ask permission. Dress nice but don't over do it. It will go a long way.

In my opinion the key to getting permission to realize that no two situations are the same and being able to realize what the situation is and how to approach it. For example:

My family farms and as a general rule farmers know all the other farmers for miles around. We also raise and sell registered angus cattle so most people in the area know either me, my father, or someone in my family. I think its safe to say both my immediate and extended family has an excellent reputation and as such I can generally just call people in my local area and get permission for coyottes/crows/ and the like. I have permission for more land than I could ever hope to hunt in S.E. Iowa. In fact, I normally have people call either me or dad every year and ask us to hunt their ground because I heard from someone we hunt yotes.

If I'm out of my local area I do things alittle differently. As a general rule:
1. Ask in person.
2. Don't wear camo or dress like a city slicker. I think it helps that I wear cowboy type clothes, but don't show up in wranglers/boots/ and western shirts unless you naturally wear them. Trying to fake being country went your not will only tick people off. You pretty much have to play the cards your deal on this one.
3. On the flip side, looking/acting like a stereotypical redneck is bad.
4. Introduce yourself with a handshake.
5. Don't be in a big rush to ask about hunting. Most farmers will size you up with a alittle conversation, it helps if you get on their good side before you ask. Knowing agriculture is a big plus here.
6. If the lawdowner is doing something and you see something you can to help do it.
7. Sell your strong points. If you can demonstate vocally that you know wildlife (such as having a college degree in a natural resourse related field), have a firearm certification, (such as being a cop), are responsible and ethical (such as being a hunter ed instructor) etc. etc. work it into the conversation. Just don't push the issue and come off as being full of yourself.

Pay attention to what the landowner says and how he acts. Some will want to come right to the point some will want to BS for awhile.

Be clear that you are only interested in hunting predators. Trying to get permission for other critters (if thats your goal) should come at a later date after you've built a good relationship with the lawndowner.

If you get permission:
Ask about where livestock is
Ask about boundries
Ask if there is anywhere he doesn't want you hunting.
Ask about anything you are not sure about.
Ask if other hunters are using his land, because you don't want to disturb their hunt. It shows consideration and respect.
Give the landowner your vehicle description and phone number. Make sure you let him know he can call you if anything comes up you need to be aware of. (Like he is going to be moving cows of the south forty or his cousin is coming in from out of state to go deer hunting)

Be aware of where you park your vehicle. Parking in the owerners way is bad thing.

Remember that while your are one his land your actions also reflect back on the landowner, act accordingly.

If you see something that needs doing, do it if you can do it yourself and are sure you can do it right or tell landowner. (Examples: down fense, sick livestock, livestock in the hayfield, ect.) This should be a common courtisy but it also shows the landowner you are an asset.

Don't show up to hunt every weekend

Be courtious to the neighbors. Not only will it keep you from getting the boot but it may get you more places to hunt.

Be professional in your actions. Professionals find themselves with more "work" than they can handle. Amatuers go out of business. Remember farmers talk to each other, your reputation will spead farther than you would ever believe.

Thats a pretty good start on things that keep me in places to hunt coyotes.

Excellent responses and information. From permission to hunt one ranch, I now have permission on something like 40,000 acres on several different ranches. Most of these have come from one landowner referring me to another.

I have put in a lot of saddle time, branded a lot of calves, and dug a lot of post holes. I always carry a trash bag and pick up around their property. I also carry fence mending tools. If I see a problem with livestock I report it. I always try to let them know when I will be on the property and check to be sure that I will not be interferring with their operations.

I have a business card that contains pertinent information.I have them sign a permission slip (required by law here) that has my name, address, phone number, and vehicle discription. It contains a clause that relieves them of liability from any harm that comes to me. I give them a copy. It also has the owners name, address, phone number, and discription of the property.

If you treat their property like it was your own it will be to your benefit.

One thing I forgot to add to my incredibly long post is that I also send Christmas cards to the people I get permission from. It really surprises them and they remember little things like that. The places I have permission to hunt deer I will give them a stick of sausage and a package of steaks if I shoot a deer on their land. Like Rimrock I also pick up trash I find in their field or woods.

IN PERSON AND IT IS ALWAYS NICE ONCE YOU GET ACESS TO LET SURROUNDING NEIGHBORS KNOW YOULL BE OUT THERE TOO JUST SO THEY ARENT HEARING SHOTS AND GETTING WORRIED

Back