Returning to a stand were you missed??

Madtown

So this weekend on one of the stands I made, I ended up missing two coyotes. This was my second stand of the day, about 500 yards from my first stand. I was at this location about 15min when I had one come in. The problem was he stops just behind a small falling tree. At this point he started to act a bit funny, like he was just about to bust me. I had a spot to make a shot but not the best shot, but I took it and missed!!! He took off so fast I did not get a second shot. Then just as I’m putting my gun down a second coyote runs past me and I pulled on that one and made a desperate shot, second miss of the day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I’m not too upset with me self, it happens to everyone but I need to know something. How long before I should return to this location and will I be able to still use the same calls? Now I don’t think this area is hunted much once the deer season is over so I don’t think the coyotes are pressured much. I like the terrain and I think the area has some good potential. But how long should I hold off before returning? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Thanks

In my personal opinion I wouldn't wait to long. I would go the next chance you get. Coyotes are such roamers that if it is good country, I bet there are more than just 2 coyotes there. That is just my opinion though, everyone has there own I guess.

I had a deer lease that I called at probably twice a week, I didn't always kill or see one but I probably did at least see one 50%of the time. There are tons of yotes in that area though.

I wouldn't wait a real long time it seems like the yotes have a short term memory. I would though just use a different sequence of calls especially if you used a distress sound just use a different one. Also I would sit in a little different position just in case it is the same yotes that come in.

Odds of you calling those 2 dogs back anytime soon are low. But if you do go back setup a different place, use a differnet sound etc. Try and mix it up as much as possible. Odds are there are more than 2 dogs inthe area. I would focus on calling the other ones. Good luck and go back out when you get a chance.

I agree 100%. Those two are probably pretty call shy right now. But...there have been alot of times that a coyote was killed or missed early in the stand, yet we continued to call and bring in others to the gun. Get back on it.

Tony

I would agree with elks and Tony but......I saw a video of a couple of guys who called 3 dogs at a stand, shot 1 of them. Went back that evening, called 2 dogs, shot 1 of them. Then went back the next morning called and shot a single. Coincidence? Trickery? Perhaps, but it was definately the same spot around the same time of year. They set up differently and used different sounds each time. The survivors ran off at the shot each time but not like any of the ones I've seen leaving. They looked more confused than scared. I can't recall the video right now and don't know if it was one of mine or belonged to someone else. Hopefully someone else has seen it who has a better memory than I do and will fill in the blank.

I do know for a fact that dukxdog called in 1 coyote from a hillside near Globe with his duck call that I shot at and missed and the next morning called 3 more from almost the exact same spot with a "Tally Ho".

I'd go back soon and just do it a little different.

About 2 weeks ago we called one in and missed in the morning and went back that afternoon and called in another and dropped him same call on the foxpro, same setup. Sometimes luck is on your side.

If you only educated one then I agree there is a good chance of calling in a different coyote if there have not been to many removed already.I too think the chances of calling that coyote back anytime soon might be unlikely.Just changing sounds may not make a difference like some say. It is like listening to Cher sing any number of different songs. the songs are all different but you still know it is Cher.

Couple weeks ago I called in 5 coyotes to within 85 yards put my bead dead on the far coyote and missed,but since I am shooting an AR I unloaded all 30 rounds out of my mag,I didn't hit a damn one of 'em. I went back one week later and called in the same 5 coyotes and shot two of them this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif (of course I unloaded all 30 rounds again ):) point being it's not always like that but it can happen.Just do like everyone is saying use different sounds,different stand location, and give her a whirl.

shaunt,
what are you using for sights? Just curious because you said bead. I am trying to decide what to use for my new AR. I have missed twice now at close range w/ 4.5x14 scope. I am sure it has a lot to do with me, but I am not liking the scope thing inside 100.

I am gonna step out of the norm here and say you could go bak anytime and have a chance of getting the one you missed. Years ago, I took a newbie. Called in a coyote, pointed it out to the shooter and he takes a shot. I saw the coyote go down and come back up running.The next weekene I killed a coyote while calling from exactly the same tree I was sitting against that day. I only had one call at the time so I was using the same call. This coyote had a freshly shot off leg just above the front knee.

Now fast forward to last year. I was calling a spot and had a double coming in. I got one and the other went into warp speed. I got it stopped with some yips at around 300 yards away. Miscalled the hold over and shot the front leg off of that one. Went back a couple weeks later and my son got it. Again we were sitting in the same location I had called from when I shot this coyote two weeks earlier.

StevenYote.jpg

Tripod.jpg

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD

I think the spot will still produce, if not the same coyote then a different one. We all have 'sweet spots' that we frequent and they seem to produce time and time again. In hunting some contests, we have ran out of land and gone back and called the same areas again within 24 hours and killed more animals. Granted it was not as productive as the first time we called it, but it still worked. My .02
6mil

ragn, you have an interesting way of tagging coyotes for further study.Sure is a contrary behavoir to what we experience on missed coyotes. Maybe there is hope.!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great advice and the information about your personal experiences.

In my head I have been going over and over what happened. A few things I have learned from this, do not rush your shot. I think if I would have held off for a few more seconds, he might have just steeped out far enough to get a better shot. Second lesson learned, don’t just lock on to the first dog you see, spot him, but try and do a quick scan of the area before preparing for the shot. I could tell as the second coyote ran by me he had no idea what was going on or what had just happed. If I would have just took a quick scan of the area I might have spotted the second one and could have possibly had a better shot at that one.

I also have been thinking about how I can change my stand location. I looked at a map of the area and I’m going to change my approach. I also know the location the coyotes came from and I might move in deeper, past my stand location and see if I can find some good spots. I also might try a different time of day.

I’m still thinking how to change everything up, calling wise, and I do have some calls I have not used yet and I just received a new howler I could try. Thanks Tony /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I think I will be going back to that area soon. As I walked in, there were no other human tracks around, so I think I might be the only one hunting this area. I’m starting to feel a bit more confident about returning to this spot.

Thanks again everyone!

I've got sets that I've been calling and shooting and sometimes missing coyotes for over 20 years and they still produce coyotes. I've sure educated a bunch over the years, but as smart as they are they never get over the hungry part.

Back