AR-15 Buttstock Extender

As many of you guys know I was lucky enough to win the D-tech AR-15 Egg shoot at the 2006-2007 Predator Masters Globe hunt. Also guys that have been around here long enough know that I have not been much of an AR fan. So the journey begins in the AR world for me. The rifle D-tech built for Predator Masters is truly a nice rifle. As many folks have mentioned to me the AR A2 stock is fairly short, for me it's short in length of pull and the scope is a bit forward. (Let's ignore the forward mounted AR bases that are available for AR's.) While digging through the DPMS website I ran on to a 1" stock extension kit for the standard A2 stock.

Does any of you AR guys have experience with one of these extensions?

Do they match up with the stock contour well?

Does the extension make a joint that can make the stock a sloppy fit?

I have a one inch extension in one of mine and it fits very well and the stock stays tight. But I am thinking about buying a Chote E-2 stock that has the hook on bottom it adds 3/4" and would be a whole lot more rear bag friendly. Midway has them for around 40 bucks.

I just put on a slip on kick pad. I'm not sure I'd do it on that rifle though, beacuase it would cover up the laser etching.

The stock extensions work well. The ones I use are milled out of aluminum and once installed, remain tight. I have done several with camo receivers and they blend in quite nicely.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Magpul PRS will do what you need and more, but they aren't cheap, and you would loose all of your engraving.

Here's a picture of a Dtech that "xcrider" posted on here awhile back. It's the first AR that I have seen with one installed. Looks pretty good to me if you need the extra length of pull. That's a good looking AR, I like those WOA free float handguards!
ar15.jpg

As I live and breathe, Michael J. with an evil black (well camoed) rifle. Welcome to the dark side Michael. Now remember, your bolt guns will still need a little love and attention once in awhile so take them out for old time sake every now and again. LOL

Although I dearly love my Magpul PRS, it will only give you an additional 1/2" more LOP than an A2 stock.

Congrats on your new rifle. I hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.

At this time it just doesn't fit in my hand as well as my good old #3 does. The #3 has been my no question about it DRT gun for a long time now.

The AR has gone to a few stands and will go on alot more fairly soon but I'm not at all comfortable with the amount of fiddling the rifle takes to use. With the #3 I sit down, pull a shell chamber it and close the action. After the stand I drop the lever, the shell drops in my hand and the gun is as safe as it can be. With the AR I sit, put in the magazine, do the unnatural act of pulling the charging handle and hoping that the gun is actually loaded. After the stand, and this is the hard part, I have to pull the mag., juggle that while doing the unnatural act of pulling on the charging handle, catching the shell, put it back in the magazine, close the action, reset the mag. Remember I'm doing all this while purched on top of a 6' step ladder. I guess what I'm saying is that there is a lot more fiddling going on that I haven't developed a rythem for yet.

Honestly, I think that nice piece of engraving is going to come off. I like the Dedicated Technology engraving, but the Egg shoot engraving would look nicer on a shelf as some sort of a trophy. It dates the gun and will only be important or meaningful to PM egg shooters.

D-tech - Do you have any camo's stocks and an extension in stock or available? If you do please PM me and I'll send you some more business.

Last edited:
Michael,
Another option is an ACE skeleton stock with the 1" buttpad extension that is made for it.
1" ACE pad
The foam cheekpiece of the stock is real comfortable and the LOP (I'm 6'1") is much better with another inch on the back end.
Fred

Michael, I noticed with my AR's that the arm length is fine, but my fingers are too long to marry comfortably to the trigger. I'm 6'4". I found a different grip that is wider and fits better in my hands. That's all it took to make mine more comfortable. Maybe try that before taking the stock off. I can recommend a couple if you're interested.

knock'emdown - I thought about the skeleton stock and wondered about how comfortable they are. I'm not so sure about the extreme military look of the rig though. There's something old school about the full stock that I like.

LawDog - When I say it doesn't fit my hand I was being a bit metaphorical in my description. At this point the gun just does not feel natural to me. Some of that will go away with time and experience with the gun. I’m not long limbed, but the stock feels short to me, that being short from the butt to the grip. I’ve got fairly average sized hands with short fingers so the grip isn’t bad … I do wish there was a bit more set back from the trigger to the grip … You might have a point with your thinking on the grip.

Michael....sounds to me like this is a marriage without any future. Far too many differences for compromise to work. You and that rifle will never be happy together. Temptation will be too great and you WILL cheat on it. Nip it in the bud and you will both be happier for it.

So....PM me for instructions and send it to Phoenix where it will surely be happier in my hands, and I with it's "short"-comings. That way nothing will come between you and you dear #3 and bliss will abound for all concerned.

Ohhhh I'm going to give her one hell of a work out before I ever let her go. That's the fun of a rifle like this. Lots of pieces and parts to be had for not a lot of money. But one thing is for sure, if I do ever let her go she isn't going to go cheap. Every gun has it's place and purpose, this one will find a place in my hand before it's all said and done. I do love the camo and the jewel trigger and the barrel and the wonderful fluting job!

MJM

I also agree the A2 stock is way way too short, what the heck did they make these for midgets?? I was planning on putting an AR together so I bough a lower, when and if I ever get around to putting an upper on it, I will be getting the 1" spacer that DPMS makes, it should make a world of difference.

MJM I have never understood the facination with ruger single shots, why be saddled with only one shot. to each his own I guess, my calling rifle is a plain ole ruger mk 2, stick a shell in the chamber, swing back the saftey, and the fireing pin is barred from moving. I alway walk to the stand with a loaded rifle on safety, never know what you will see on the way in

Steve - There are many reasons why I like my Single shots. Primarily, they are shorter than almost any other rifle with any given barrel length. Safety is another reason, it's easy to unload and easy to load. Drop the lever and the rifle is absolutely empty. This is good for the in and out style of hunting a predator hunter does all the time. There are some places where rounds in the magazine are highly fround apon. As most guys know I hunt using a ladder most of the time. Ladders are great for hunting but not the safest place to handle a rifle. I like the comfort of knowing that the gun is easily loaded and emptied from the top of a ladder. Again I stress the safety thing. I suppose there is the novilty factor thrown in as well. Few predator hunters hunt with a Ruger single shot. Then throw in that I got my #3 in pieces ... abused pieces at that. Those pieces became a rifle that is absolutely mine. Every nut, bolt and barrel shank thread, is familiar. Add to that a rather specatcular killing percentage and you will understand my love for this little DRT rifle.

A second shot with a rifle that is designed to be a single shot is not that difficult or slow. One of the things I've always liked to do is take a double in front of a guy that swears that you need a semi-automatic to hunt coyotes.

With all that being said, there have been times where another shot instantly available would have made the differance. This AR might take some getting used to, and it might take some minor modifications to make it mine, but it should be worth it in the end. If it's not I know I can sell it for far more than I have into it.

I had an extention in my cabnet in the garage. While cleaning out a few days ago I realized I was never going to use it to I tossed it. Trash just ran about 20 min before I read this post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry, Lt.

Back