How Do Coyotes Kill Calves?

The thing that has been confusing about this issue is that coyotes will bother and kill calves on one farm, and not bother them on the neighboring farm. The Charles Wilson farm here in Jessamine County is a prime example. Mr. Wilson was losing a lot of calves of different ages, and called me in to help. My first encounter was a big alpha male and two sidekicks trying to get a big calf. Two of the yotes were keeping the cow at bay and the big old male was trying to drag the calf under the electric fence. I gave him a 70 grain Blitz King through his shoulder for his trouble and the other two took off. Mr. Wilson doctored the calf's leg with blue lotion and he recovered fine. Over a period of 5 years, I killed over 50 coyotes off his land, and he hasn't been losing any calves for over a year. I have to conclude that killing the alpha male and female probably got rid of that strain of yotes. In Mercer County, small packs or family groups are taking down really big calves. The farmers who say they don't bother anything really ought to say they have never seen them bother anything. It is not their nature to leave things alone.

possumal, this aplha talk what are you trying to say? Coyotes are pair animals for the most part and not pack type creatures like their cousins the wolf.
In coyotes you have a male and female that raise young and somrtimes a baby sitter that is generaly an off spring female from previous year. You can take out a pair of calf/lamb killing coyotes and have them replaced with a new pair the next year. Mainly seen in sheep more so tahn calves, but the more coyotes you have, the samller the home range and more agressive they become.
You say calves of all ages? What size are these calves? I work spring calving and you see it for a month to 2 months after that the majority are too big to cause much damage, they will run and spook them through fences but you see rarely any killing after that point.
While I will agree certain coyotes that are brought up eating livestock have a higher tendancy to do so, but not always the case by any means. Good coyote habitat will always have coyotes, and I think your ability to kill 50 coyotes of this land, how big of land tract are we talking? I'm betting by thinning them down you also made some home range impacts and also the impact of agressiveness as well.
How many packs do you locate in May-June? Durring calving you will have coyotes congragate in the area and in some areas quite a few, doesn't mean they are in packs and will tolerate others for a short window but when getting close to cleaning out dens, that is the end of the friendship towards other coyotes, in exployted coyote populations, unless your talking extreme weather conditions and low small prey base.
Also look at your calves real close on new borns and if the waxy material under there hoof is present it means it didn't walk, if it is gone and you find a dead calf then you can get more answers from what clues are left at the scene.

Hi ADCoyote: I surely am not talking about the coyotes you deal with. I am talking about the Alpha male and female that are the head honchos of their territory. If they have the calf killing tendency, I believe they pass that on to their offspring. In fact, I think they teach their offspring most of what they know; the rest is pure instinct. As for the size of the calves killed in this area, I am talking about calves as big or bigger than the one shown in the CCP video clip. The increase in size of the coyotes in this area lead me to believe that they have evolved to fit the tasks at hand, and that is killing bigger animals. As for them not packing like their cousins, the wolves, that has been discussed for a long time with opinions on both sides. The family groups I have seen, 5 to 7 animals, are quite different in size throughout the group. The packs that I have called in and designated as such, 7 to 11 coyotes, are more uniform in size, all big rascals. There was an article some years ago that I cannot locate now (I am nearly sure it was from N. Dakota) where they were having horrible problems with their antelope herd decreasing. The Wildlife Dept. put up tripods with night vision cameras and said that large "Packs" of coyotes combed the plains in the most organized hunt you could imagine. They brought in government hunters and trappers and their antelope herd got established to healthy numbers again. I emailed Al Harral (www.varmintal.com) to see if he recalled the article in question, and he answered that he did but could not locate it now. I guess it proves that the coyotes don't do the same thing all over America. As my earlier remarks indicate, they don't always do the same thing on adjoining farms. The Charles Wilson farm I mentioned in the earlier post is around 500 acres. I know I didn't kill them all, but something has drastically changed the predation on calves on his property.

That video clip shows exactly how a coyote kills a calf. When he comes up behind him and trys to nip the rear end and get to the calfs anal area. The coyote will get ahold of that area and pull the calfs inerds out, easy meal. The video doesn't show it, but that how they do it. My friends have a ranch and I go there a couple times a year during the calving season which is coming up, and thin the coyotes out for them. The coyotes "out here" will take down calves for quit some time until they become big enough to protect themselves.
Possumal, we too have used to have big coyote packs of up to seven, and we used to target those big groups because the alpha male and female would teach those youngsters to get after the calves too. We thinned them out too, but we can no longer go out there because of "Liability" to the ranch. New owner came in and bought out the little ranchers and is afraid of getting sued. Now they hire an outfit to come in with a airplane or a helicopter and shoot the coyotes like that, not the same in my opinion.

Just my .02

gonzaga

Gonzaga: Yeah, the big outfits are buying out all the little land owners. We haven't had that much around here, but it is beginning to happen. No aerial gunning has ever been needed here, and I hope it never does. I agree with you that is a lot different from hunting them on their own level and trying to fool them. Some of the calves these rascals gang up on and kill are about ready for the sales too, which really hurts the farmer.

Gonzaga, not to be mean but how do the alpha's teach those youngsters how to take down spring calves?The females aren;t dropping them until April/May and by the time those youngsters are big enough to go on hunting trips those once little calves are off limits to coyotes due to size and being very ornery come august. If your friends calve in Feb?march as the norm and no pup's yet present, how big are those calves come time for the youngsters to be taught?
Also coyotes are not much in the way of paunch eaters, in fact most will lay out the paunch to the side and leave it for the birds. The majority of coyotes will eat heart and livers but then onto meat. I have seen my share of calf kills which are far less than lamb kills, you see lambing in May makes them an easy learning tool come august and Sept when those pup's are big enough to take in the foray, those spring calves will be well over 200+ pounds by that time. Much easier pick ens in August and Sept than spry calves.

Most of the kid antelope that get killed are at birth to weeks old, and yes the coyotes do target them and do take there share, of course the more coyotes and more antelope the better the odds and numbers taken. You will get less vocal response during that time of year for sure for a window of time. If your getting adult antelope killed in numbers by coyotes I'm betting your study took place during harsh weather conditions. You get deep snows and antelope have a hard time of it and add in coyotes needing meals and yes the opportunity for larger kills can take place is it the norm? Not with adults goats, as they can out run them with ease 60 mph and will lay out on open flats with far ranging as there protector when the weather is good.Weather conditions change the dynamics from the norm. In areas of Wyoming the antelope take a hit from the coyotes, but that is on kid's and not a large killing of adults, weather,cover all play into it as well as coyote density's and antelope numbers. They are not "packing" up in May/July killing these as packs, but numbers of pairs that are defending territories and food rights for the youngsters.

As far as size yes a 250+lb calf can kick the crap out of you or I and not many coyotes are willing to chance that when easier meals and weather dictate a better outcome feeding on something else. Again I don't watch the video how big of calves are we talking that are 100% confirmed coyote kills?
Fall calving while tougher for the cows and calves as many don't put on the weight their spring brothers do are more susceptible to coyote depredation because you have a larger population of coyotes in the fall than you do the spring, times are tougher for all involved and you can increase your depredation, I know less and less that winter range fall calves and those that do keep them in close and a "pack" would have to be either really bold or stupid to get involved with 100+ fall calf/cow pairs in more confined pastures.
% of loss means something for sure and knowing how to confirm loss as well. Not every critter fed upon by coyotes are killed by coyotes. Sure they do their part No doubt, but some story's just don't add up.

I've raised cattle for 40 years and in our area coyotes have not been a problem... but... our cattle are big and agressive and the calves are big. Calving takes place at the home pastures and cow/calves are then moved to rye and wheat pasture to help prevent scours so they are not isolated until the calves are at least a day old and have been ear tagged and doctored. Dead calves are disposed of and not left lying about to rot. Dead mature cattle are immediately disposed of. And I always carry a rifle in the truck and try to shoot any coyote I see.
I have seen coyotes riddle sheep flocks in our area. What open range cattle I've worked with generally seem much weaker and so are the calves so I imagine there is that problem (or linkage) as well. Really, with our Charolais/Angus crosses a coyote would have to be pretty desperate to take on those old girls cause they'll stomp a mudhole in anything messing with the babies.

i lost 2 calves last year one 2 day old weak calf to feral hogs, the one we killed weight nearly 500 lbs and I lost a 3 day old calf to coyotes. my neighbor just lost a new born to buzzards. I have seen yotes and wolves chase calves and I have seen cows chase and kill yotes. I also think and cannot prove it that yotes will play chase till a calf drops and then kills it.

Coyotes do kill larger animals.They kill both deer and moose by hamstringing them.Here in Maine they hunt in both family and larger packs.They have even learned to run deer into a ambush by having some of the pack chasing them barking and carrying on then all the sudden you will hear the deer give out a big bawl when the coyote catches it in ambush.I have followed deer tracks in the snow hunting and have seen where coyotes have tracked and jumped on them in the deer's bed.My brother who had no gun at the time witnessed a coyote run down and kill a healthy doe deer.So yes I believe they can and will kill calves.

Bruce, No one argues that coyotes kill calves, that isn't the debate.It is how many,how freqauntly, and how big is the issue.
Deep snow conditions are far different and you bring in a "special" set of circumstances that effect prey and predator alike. Moose? How big are these moose and what weather conditions do you find these moose depredated on the most? In fact many coyotes turn to carrion eating when the opportunity presents it self durring cold weather and the availabilty is good. One needs to be able to tell the differance between feeding upon and killing.

coyotes are so ruthless and deadly all they really have to do is stare at the critter and they will drop dead with fear.

Quote:
Bruce, No one argues that coyotes kill calves, that isn't the debate.It is how many,how freqauntly, and how big is the issue.
Deep snow conditions are far different and you bring in a "special" set of circumstances that effect prey and predator alike. Moose? How big are these moose and what weather conditions do you find these moose depredated on the most? In fact many coyotes turn to carrion eating when the opportunity presents it self durring cold weather and the availabilty is good. One needs to be able to tell the differance between feeding upon and killing.

Fully grown moose.Find them year round.The coyotes kill thaem all diffrent ways from driving them out on thin ice so they break through the ice with their front legs and no the moose did not do this on their own as I back tracked everything to find out to running the moose day after day after day.The coyotes either get the moose hamstrung or the moose finaly fall over from loose of blood.I go right into the deer yards and see where good healthy deer are killed by coyotes.Coyotes will turn to any thing for food to survive from killing their own prey to eating grass and apples.They will eat carrion but will also catch and kill good healthy deer and moose and not just in the deep snow either.

Quote:
coyotes are so ruthless and deadly all they really have to do is stare at the critter and they will drop dead with fear.

No actually what makes them ruthless to me is the fact that they will run down does heavy with fawn,catch the doe then eat the fawn right out of the doe without killing her first.

Full grown moose on the ice is something they could pull off, durring the spring/summer? Well I would have to see it to believe it "sorry".

Quote:
Full grown moose on the ice is something they could pull off, durring the spring/summer? Well I would have to see it to believe it "sorry".

I've seen it happen.They either get the moose hamstrung or the moose dies from lack of blood after the coyotes keep at it for days.Its not a pretty picture.Believe what you want.I believe alot more of what I actualy see in the woods then alot of what is written.The biologists said for years that coyotes only kill unhealthy or old deer.Its been proven otherwise.Now they finaly admit that coyotes do kill healthy deer.

I have never, would ever state coyotes don't kill healthy deer,calves,lambs,ewe's! I do have a hard time believing healthy adult moose in any numbers at all fall prey to coyotes durring times with zero advanatge to those coyotes ie: Spring/summer months.Ice is an equailizer for those coyotes as it does the work in alot of cases numbers or size can not!

I would think if they are pulling down 600+ lb moose that cows would be little problem and your state would have a big issue if those numbers of being "typical" on moose you state are correct.

Wolves take moose and the majority are done in the winter in snow conditions, yes big healhty moose. To get around a cow moose and her calves would not be benefical for coyotes! Sure your coyotes range a little bigger than others but still even 4-6 of them on dry ground in the summer versus a 600+lb cow moose? Rarely yes, typical NO!

I have spent many years around coyotes, given not your NE types but many would die from a good stomping of those long legs.Do you have any data to back up your findings? It is like those that think with a coyote bounty you can reduce livestock loss! Sounds good but the facts do not bear it out to be true! That is a narrow minded approach from those looking to gain directly from a bounty and given a false sense of security to those that raise livestock for profit!

Any biologist worth his salt and time a field would not make such a statement that they only kill the weak and the meak on deer,ewe's,lambs or any other critter. Circumstances and opportunity can make many things happen, without them though a different story. Very large ungulates and coyotes are not a good fit as far as prey base goes or depredation at a % of loss to be concerned with. Note the very large part!

Here in Maine for years they all said that untill they were proven wrong.
I spend alot of time in the woods and know what I see for a fact.Not saying you but I have found that alot of people just repeat what they have read about something and don't go out in the woods to see for themselves.I believe what I see and only what I read when I see it for myself.

Ive never seen a coyote attack a cow or calf except when calving. Cows are pretty good at protecting themselves just ask anyone whos been kicked. We have more problems with buzzards around here eating the soft parts of a cow or calf (eyes or butt) during birth. The coyotes usually just go after the placenta.(ewww)

Back