gen 1 night vision need help

hawkeye3184

have been thinking about getting a gen 1 night vision monocular for fox hunting.has anyone had any experience with them.my tactic would be to bait an area for a few days then wen the bait was being taken wait at night with a lamp on the scope i would spot the foxes with the night vision then use the light on the rifle to shoot them.any thoughts appreciated.

If you can use lights then you would probably be better off just using a red lens. Gen 1 is pretty limited in range, and on dark nights needs a good IR light source. 50 yards is about all you are going to get out of most of them , at best. Gen 2 and 3 is a whole different story.

I bought a gen I scope and it was crap. Then I bought a generation II scope and it was better crap. I can't afford genIII.

If lights are legal, use a red lense and you are in business. about a hundred bucks will get you a great light.

Randy

I can see paying it if you love to pred hunt at night and you could not use a light. BUT, the light is definatly the cheaper and in my opinion the more effective way to go if it is legal in your state.

I have had gen 1 binoculars and they are worthless unless you have an IR filter on a spotlight. However if you do this you might as well us the spotlight. I have gen 3 goggles and the are awesome. You have to do a light of night hunting to justify because they are expensive over $2000 but I can see varmits in snow over 500 yards. I live in a place where everyone tries to shoot varmits and they usually just make them smart. It is the ticket to sneak up and shoot the smart coyotes they always think they are hidden in the dark.

Back