Federal #215 primers VS. WW LRM large magnum, opinions needed

blinddog

Hi guys I have a Savage Model 10 in 270WSM that my kids gave me a couple years ago. Shoots great, love it, but the ammo is cost prohibitive at 40 bucks per twenty rounds I can handload them for about fifteen bucks per twenty.
Ok so heres the deal I bought up three hundred WLRM primers when I was in Denver last summer. I have tried finding them around here and basicly can't I was going to order some on line but with a haz mat fee of twenty bucks per carton and not shipping with powder that makes that choice some what cost prohibitive too. Well I heard about a pawn shop in a near by town that is stocking handloading supplies now so I got a chance to go see today. He has powder at about 20 bucks a can, he also has primers. So I ask about WW LRM's since that is what my Hogden book says to use and I always follow directions (well at first any way) All the guy has are these Federal #215 Large rifle magnum primers 18 bucks a 1000. so I bought them. What is your opinion of these primers sems like I have heard that they can be hotter than others but I do not recall exactilly I think it was in referance to useing them in a 45-70 Marlin for sub zero temps and not to use loads set up for sub zero use in temps above sixty or seventy since the pressure spikes can be unexpectedly high.

They are Fed 215 then, not Fed 215M's? Fed 215 are mag primers, 210 are large rifle, and 215M are match grade.....

Fed 215's are one of the hottest magnum primers out there. The black powder cartridge guys use them to keep fouling to a minimum. I would back off of your load at least 5% and work back up. They can be used if that's all you have. Look for a gun show in your area and stock up on your favorite primers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks guys I was going to back off 10% and work a load back up I always do that when I change any component. I live out in the arm pit of creation when it comes to getting components, or ammo, or firearms for that matter. The closest place to carry anything was wally world a fifty mile each way trip, the closest real gun shop is 90 each way and the only gun show I have even heard of in the last three or four years is in Wichita 200 miles each way. With calving and lambing comeing in a few months I want to be ready for yote hunting but it is minus thirty to day and it has warmed up in the last week or so. I do not want to develpe a load when it is really cold with these primers and then use them when it is in the seventies or worse next summer in the 100+'s. Thanks for the replies this is about what I had thought I will find a load with these that wil work. I seldom load to max anyway.

Back