AR-15 with red dots for hunting???

yipnhowl

I have a new are and was wondering can you use a red dot type scope or laser for hunting coyotes? I will be shooting up to 250-300yds. Am I better of putting a scope on it? I will also shoot whistle pigs and rock chucks with it.

Thanks

would you be comfortable with iron sights at that range? on coyotes, i wouldn't be. unless you find a red dot with some magnification, it's not going to be much better than the iron sights. they were designed for quick target acquisition without having to get a perfect sight picture. they are nice, and fast, and some people think they have a slight edge over iron sights as far as their consistency, but it's not a long range tool.

Quote:
would you be comfortable with iron sights at that range? on coyotes, i wouldn't be. unless you find a red dot with some magnification, it's not going to be much better than the iron sights.

Good point. I am not sure I would be comfortable w/ iron sights at 200.

Anymore input from others??

Last edited:
Look at the size of the "dot", most are listed as, 1 minute or 3 or what ever, some have different or changable reticles, some brands offer different sizes.
I think a 1 minute dot is a little less than an inch at 100 yards.

So you must decide how much area you are comfortable with the "dot" covering up at a given range.
Carl

It really depends on you. In the Marine Corps we qualify with iron sights out to 500 yards on human sized silloute targets, but coyotes present a signifigantly (spelling?) smaller target. I know a few guys (not Marines) that can barely hit a human sized target with iron sights at 200 yards and are hopeless at 300 yards. You need to establish a base line comfort level with iron sights, figure out what distance you can make clean shots at and then decide what type of optics you need from there. If you can make a clean kill every time at 200 yards with iron sights, you should do just fine with a laser of red-dot, if you are having any trouble at all you should consider a more powerful conventional scope. The most important is to know your weapon and you comfort zone as good as possible.

I was a paratrooper with the 101th Airborne and Stationary Human Silhouette Target at 200 and 300 meters was very easy to hit with open sights. You hit it, it goes down. The problem with this is , the hit could be on the very edge , center , high or center on the target , you just never had any idea where the hit was, it didn't matter as long as it was hit, but with live animala it does matter . Shooting at a animal the size of a yote that blends with the terrain is a whole different situation. Forget the red dot sight except for medium to close range and get yourself a good scope for your coyotes hunting. Most people in the Military think they can shoot but most can't shoot worth a crap in my experence.

I just ordered a burris elctro dot that is a 1.5-6x40.I think this will be a great scope for my ar that I use for coyote hunting. Normal cross hairs until the scope is turned on and then a red dot at the center of the cross hairs.

Quote:
I just ordered a burris elctro dot that is a 1.5-6x40.I think this will be a great scope for my ar that I use for coyote hunting. Normal cross hairs until the scope is turned on and then a red dot at the center of the cross hairs.

In your situation I would look at something like that. Hunting enough times with a red dot made me want to go back to a scope with some magnification.

Take a look at the Mueller Multi-Shot scope. It has a different type of illuminated red-dot (1 MOA) and a 2x-7x capability. With a little practice of shooting with both eyes open, which you would do with any red-dot, it is exceptionly fast and your eye will automatically place the dot on you desired point of impact.

I've used mine in speed competitions out to 200yds with relative ease and accuracy for 8" steel plates.

Quote:
Quote:

In your situation I would look at something like that. Hunting enough times with a red dot made me want to go back to a scope with some magnification.

I agree. I have hunted with both. Only took a few trips with the dot and I was back to a magnified optic.

If you get a variable that is 1-1.5 on the low end and up to 4-8 on the high end, you can use it as a fast "both eyes open" cqb type optic and also crank it up for longer shots. Not as fast as a dot but you have the benefit of both.

Red-dot sights are for close fast shooting not long range. The dots are too big and will cover your target at any distance beyond 100 yds. At 100 yds a small dot will cover 4 or 5 inches. What you will see is missing the target because it covers so much of it. You can miss and still have the dot on target.

1-5X scope would be a better bet. For ranges like you speak of I would be packing no less than a 4.5-14X optic.

Back