Who Makes The Best .22 Hornet?

rks1949

I'm going to buy a Hornet for plinking,short range hunting. I'm kinda leaning towards a RugerM77. What are you guys shooting in this cal.? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My cousin shoots a CZ with a sporter barrel (not sure of model number) and it is very accurate. It looks really nice and feels good in my hands.

Quote:
The CZ is the only way to go for a 22 hornet. They are VERY accurate. I would not waste the money an a Ruger.

Daym! That's pretty strong language. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have a Ruger 77Hornet that will shoot with any factory hornet out there. It delivers sub-MOA groups with factory ammo and is built like a tank. The rotary magazine is a proven (10/22) design that functions flawlessly day in and day out. And it doesn't have that stupid magazine sticking out the bottom...right where most people grip the rifle for carry.

$450 for the Ruger is DEFINITELY not a waste of money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RKS,
I agree with Hidalgo--he and I must have the only Rugers that shoot worth a darn. I have the Ruger M77 with the laminated stock and the target grey finish. Shoots like a dream!

The only drawback with this rifle is that if you reload, you have to watch the OAL of the rounds due to the rotary magazine.

Tim

The only two on the market are the Ruger and the CZ. If you like single shots there are a few Ruger #3's around also.

I personally like the CZ, but thats just me. I also like the Ruger single shot platform, but it takes more to get those shooting sometimes.

Don't over look the Browning Micro Hunter. It is very accurate gun. If comes with the barrel floated and action bedded. I promise you won't regret it if you buy one. This gun will not require anything other than a good cleaning and maybe a slight trigger adjustment.

You can get a T/C Contender barrel in 22 hornet. Makes a great little rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have a Continder Carbine in 22Hornet and Savage makes the model 40 in 22 Hornet . I would sugest yo take a look at both .I also have a CZ527 in 223 and it is very nice so a CZ in 22H would be a good choice I think . Keep in mind the saftey works backward to American style safety on the CZ .

ALL RIGHT now you guys went and did it
I am seriously thinking of buying a 22 hornet
I really like the looks and feel of the Ruger and I really like the 20"barrel
THANKS ALOT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Well I just picked up the M77 Hornet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I mounted a Simmons Pro-Air 4X12X40 scope on it. I have a friend that had a Hornet,and he said to come over and get the dies,and around 200 peices of brass. Now I need to decide what weight bullet to load as well as what powder to use. I have W296,VV110,Imr 4227,2400. Which bullet would be a good overall performed in the Hornet? 35-40gr? Thanks Ron
Ruger.jpg

RKS,
Hodgdon's Lil'Gun is what I use. I am using a 40 gr. V-Max with 12.5 gr. of Lil'Gun. Velocity is 2915 fps, and accuracy is terrific! OAL is 1.80" in order to fit in the rotary mag.

Am working up loads with Lil'Gun and the WW HP. Tried 12 gr., and primer pockets got loose, so I am backing off to 11.5 gr. to check.

I have also tried 10.6 gr. of W-296 with the WW HP. Velocity is around 2600 fps, and I have not tested for accuracy yet. Accuracy with the Winchester Factory 46 gr. HP loads is pretty good, and is around 2500 fps. I expect that accuracy with my handload will be decent. OAL on this load is 1.75"

VAfoxhunter is right--I use the Lee FCD, and neck size after the first loading!

I have shot one coyote with the V-Max load this year, and I hit her too far forward on the shoulder. Was not too pretty, but had I done my job, I am sure the bullet would not have exited and been a DRT.

Good Luck!
Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Well I just picked up the M77 Hornet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I mounted a Simmons Pro-Air 4X12X40 scope on it.

I'm not familiar with that scope...but you'll LOVE that little Ruger hornet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Don't over look the Browning Micro Hunter. It is very accurate gun. If comes with the barrel floated and action bedded. I promise you won't regret it if you buy one. This gun will not require anything other than a good cleaning and maybe a slight trigger adjustment.

I started with a Contender Carbine in 22 Hornet and replaced it with a lefty Browning Micro Hunter. I love this gun. I'm loading the 40 gr Hornady VMax , Rem 7 1/2 primers and 296 powder.

Back