#4 Buckshot + Full Choke?

Gundy

I got some coyotes to clear on some private property. I was curious if a full choke + #4buckshot ( which hopefully I can pick up at walmart ) be sufficent enough for some decent 40-60ish yard shots? I have a Winchester 1300 that I was planning on throwing my full choke in, but wasn't sure what would work.

I got a Johnny Stewart predator call ( hand call ) that I am planning on using as well.

I noticed a few threads down about shotgunners, mentioning they have carlson tubes etc.. I don't have time to run out and purchase one of these yet.. and was wondering if the stock full choke would be ok.

Last edited:
it is best to pattern your shotgun with several chokes to see what does the best. many times a full choke will spray the buckshots due to too tight of constriction.

gundy,

i have the same gun. mine will tear a 9" pie plate up at 40 yds. with regular # 4's but buck shot is marginal at best with a full choke. never tried modified though. i have an old sear's shotgun that is full choked and it will sling some buck shot.

Quote:
be sufficent enough for some decent 40-60ish yard shots?

I don't care what anyone says, even at 60 yards, even a full choke is really pushing it.

#4 buck "usually" will shoot better with a modified choke. I recently patterned #4 buck and dead coyote. .675 and .700 worked well for dead coyote but .715 was much better for #4 buck. In fact, based on my results I much prefered #4 buck than dead coyote. Your gun may be different. But in general bigger shot prefers a less constricted choke. Also, neither load gave me confidence past 50yds. just my .02

10-4 guys. a shotgun is shotgun. 60 yards is max. period. each spring i hear tales from turkey hunters who took a tom at 60+ yards. in my book, they are just that, tales. some may get lucky a get a pellet or two in a tom at a long distance but shotguns are close range guns, period.

I'd start with a Mod or IM choke and work my way up in chokes. Get the pattern you want at 30 Yards, then see what it looks like at 40 and 20.

I dont think there is a choke tube designed to constrict a good pattern at 60 yards with buckshot. If it did it would look like a slug on paper at 20 yards.

I hear good things of the Heavy Shot Dead Coyote loads. You may get a little more distance from that.

And they sell the 4 buckshot at wally-world correct? I don't have any local sporting goods stores near me, and I don't have the time to make a trip to pick some up elsewhere.

Walmarts round here carry only 00buck. The patterning board is the only place to find out how good a load will do. A turkey choke will shoot buckshot good I even shot 00buck through mine good.

creek chub----It was 62 yards last spring ranged with a nikon 1200. And it was only a jake. Seriously though, I didnt think he was that far out. I was guessing 45 max. He dropped like I hit him with a hammer. I wouldn't have taken that shot if I would have known the actual distance. Very lucky pellet or two I guess.

The only way you will find out if your shotgun/load is any good is to patteren it. I would use a 9" pie plate, 7" much better, and shoot it at 40 yds. Count the number of hits and get a % of your kill zone. If you have plenty of kill zone hits at 40, then try 50. In my opinion, evern a 50 yd shot on a yote is stretching it unless you have extremely good choke/load combinations. I believe you will have a hard time finding #4 buck at Walmart.

00buck might be an alternative atleast for tomorrow. I will be able to pattern it in the morning through full choke. Will have to drop by cabelas and pick up a dead coyote choke and shells sometime this week.

You really need to do some research here with the search feature, and, on the range with some chokes and loads shooting on pattern paper. What you're talking about doing is akin to slapping a new scope on your deer rifle and without sighting it in going deer hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back