Wolf hunting caliber

I.O.N.Doyle

So, with it looking like we may be opening up to hunting the big bad wolf here in Idaho in the near future I need to start considering the possibility that I will go for a tag on one. For those of you that have hunted them what do you consider to be an appropriate caliber for dropping them? My gut tells me that my .25-06 would fit the bill but can go bigger if needed.

Sure, the 24's and 25's will kill a wolf with authority but I wouldn't hesitate if I called one up with my 22-250 in hand. Or my .223 or .204. Shot placement is everything. And all my varmint guns are accurate. And really, a wolf is just a bigger varmint.

ruger300

I'll agree with ruger300 on calibers. I've got a couple of 243's that probably would be my top choice, but if they run the hunting concurrent with big game season then my 280 Remington or the 8mm Rem mag will be with me for deer or elk.

Though a wolf is quit a bit bigger than a coyote as ruger says "a wolf is just a bigger varmint".

One thing for sure that should make a dandy hide to put on the wall. In fact I'd kinda like to have all the walls covered. Perhaps that would leave me an elk to shoot with that old 8mm mag.

My predator rifle I bought last may is a very gently used Sako m75 SS 243 with a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 LR duplex scope. I have some factory federal 80gr I sighted in with initially, but the reolads will be from 55 & 95gr Ballistic Silver -tips and some 65 or 70gr Hornady Vmax moly's. My Sako m75SS 300WM is a bit big but I guess I could use some 150gr or 110 for the wolves.
But I needed the excuse for a new rifle.

I've guided and killed a lot of coyotes and wolves. I agree that there are a lot of calibers that WILL kill the wolves, I think your 25-06 is perfect. The 243 is kind of a minimum although the hotter 22 calibers HAVE killed a lot of wolves I think they are a little small. The 204 is totally out of the question. I am far from impressed with the 204 on even coyotes. I know the arguement is "if you put the bullet in the right place, it wil work just fine". Real world isn't quite so simple. The fact is, if you hunt wolves or coyotes, most of your shots are not going to be perfect and the location of your hits are going to be FAR less than perfect. Wolves are far tougher than coyotes or any of the antelope/deer family. A little extra goes a long way in KILLING wolves or coyotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
although it can happen with coyote it seems a little more real when it comes to wolves.You got your perfect shot on a wolf and low and behold he dissapears only to show up behind you in the brush drooling and snarling at you.I certainly would not go into bear country with just a sleeping bag and a tent.
I would definatley go a little bigger for timber wolves 243,but 25-06 would make me feel more better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Have taken several wolves with one shot kills using a standard AR in .223. I currently use an AR in either 6mmwoa, 6.5 Grendel,6.8 SPC or 260.

i think it all depends on HOW BIG YOUR BALLS ARE if it were me id go loaded for bear ...yikes ... but i havent hunted wolves yet so i dont know but if i were to hunt them it would probably be an ar15 in 204 or 223 if it was a bolt action 243 but hey thats just me, im the one with the brain not you.. youre goin for wolf..lol just kiddin...

well shot placement is everything you could kill um with a 22 long rifle if you put it in the right spot but you want a gun big enough that if you get a bad hit you will still kill um so id say 243 or your 25-06 will work fine. i have a 243 i use on elk and deer

Here are a couple photos I posted before but they show the results from a .223 load on a wolf using 60 grain bergers which had previously resulted in two one shot bang flop deals between 100 and 200yards. These photos show where the 1st shot at a lasered 99 yards entered under the right eye and exited sideways under the left. The 2nd shot was almost center chest and I hit him several more times running directly away before a final shot right up the Hershey Highway dropped him at a little over 300 yards. May of been a fluke but makes you wonder if shot placement and bullet choice is everything. That wolf cost me a lot of money because I went to several small case 6 somethings in hopes the reduced velocity combined with accurate non varmint bullets would give the penetration without exiting and causing a needle exercise. I owned and shot both 243 and 25/06 down in America on coyotes but don't consider either fur friendly unless they are loaded down to levels I'm running my 6 somethings at. The 260 in a AR10 will do anything my 243 does but the added weight to hump and swing in a blind is a factor. Also consider none of my 6 somethings have drawn wolf blood yet so all my ramblings are pure theory at this point.
WolfSkull.jpg

Wolfchest.jpg

Seems to me that it has more to do with how the animal is built versus how big it is (to some extent). A wolf is built very simlarly to a coyote, but is simply larger. Any shot that would kill a coyote instantly (Bang->flop) should do the same on a wolf. They have (relatively) light bones, thin skin, and not much fat.

Expect BOTH species to be very survivable if the shot is poor, regardless of caliber. I've seen yotes do amazing things with mass hemorrhaging and/or limbs shot off.
Some of the worst misses I've had were when I hit the shoulder bone and the Nosler exploded without getting into the vitals sufficiently - in this case a bigger, heavier bullet may kill but I should have done better in the first place.

i wouldnt be afraid to take my 223 for wolf but i would have to say i would like to get my feet wet first by using something bigger like my 30.06

What, no mention of the .17HMR? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Sorry, had to ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
WolfSkull.jpg

[image]

This reminds me someone? Hmmm, me after my ex got done with me 35 years ago. Took a long time to get my hair back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

shot this guy with my 223 last winter, with a 55 grain Nolser BT

Jan_19_06_007.jpg

from a distance of 75 yards, he spun twice then flopped after a lung/heart shot. the bullet did exit

I now use 243 for predator hunting, I enjoy the extra thump it has at longer range over the 223

Back