Buyers Beware! Remington Model 799

Black_Ram

Just to let you all know, Remington messed up this time. I purchased Remington's new model 799 in a .223 and was floored by what they come up with. I was looking for a light rifle in the mini mauser design. It looked great in the pictures and the spec's, but get one in your hands and you will see. The trigger is JUNK, 1/4" creep and takes nearly 8#'s To pull it. The warranty station said they can't set it any lighter without putting another $80 trigger in it. The bolt was very rough, unlike the old mini mausers and to close the bolt took alot of effort because of the firing pin spring, felt like a 40# spring in there. Again the warranty station said we can fix that. I said no thanks and took the gun back to the dealer without shooting it. I paid the extra money for a Model 7 SS/SYN and love it. I can set the trigger light and the bolt is smooth as prom queen's thigh's, and she is a shooter. Less than 1/2" groups at 100 yards. So if your looking for a low budget-light, rifle, save your money! You get what you pay for. Remember Remington, Quality not Quanity! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Sorry to hear that for you. If I wanted a Mauser style action it'd be a CZ all the way.

I'm a Remington fan, but I did buy the CZ 527 and it's a true mini-mauser action right down to the controlled round feed that Remingtons 799 does not have.

I have a model 7 I bought for my grandbabie to hunt with and it's an excellent little gun.

I'm kind of saddened to hear what you had to say, I was hoping they would be a good rifle. Sorry about your experience.

Doesn't surprise me...It's about what I would expect for East European/Russian built junk. Remington does not make these rifles - they come in from East Europe or Russia and Remington puts their name on them as a cheap line.

Sure glad I ran into this thread. Black Ram, you just saved me some hard earned cash. I was just ready to go down to the gun shop to order a 799 in 22 Hornet, looks like I go with a browning instead. Thanks again.

Josh

Quote:
Sorry to hear that for you. If I wanted a Mauser style action it'd be a CZ all the way.

+1

Quote:
Sure glad I ran into this thread. Black Ram, you just saved me some hard earned cash. I was just ready to go down to the gun shop to order a 799 in 22 Hornet, looks like I go with a browning instead. Thanks again.

Look at the CZ 527 in 22 hornet...its a sweetie!!

Remington just never seems to learn the lesson beyond the $$$ is the bottom line. Looks to me like they could easily follow in Winchesters steps.

Last edited:
Remington 700 rifles are the most used rifles in the US I would bet? The 700 action is as solid as one can buy!!! Many BR shooters use the 700 action and bolt on a new barrel from many outlets, but the 700 action and 870 are the most widely used guns in the US for many years running from hunting, to police use to tatical use.

Remington is a good gun company and wouldn't think of owning anything else, outside of savage.

ADCcoyote

The best BR shooters don't waste their time on a Remington Action. By the time you are done with it you'll have as much money in it as say a Viper drop port and it won't shoot at the Viper level. Oh and as for resale it's still a Remington.

Thanks for the report from the net! It verys among people you talk too. Resale? I don't get rid of a rifle until it is used up.If I where to sell a nice rifle combo I don't see getting rid of a 700 as a problem do you? I'm not shooting 2,000 rounds a year. I kill coyotes mainly and a few deer and antelope and shoot at the "local" range for most people the rem 700 has that covered as well as anyone correct?

One of the best Bench Rest Shooters in the Midwest shoots a 700 RH action with LH ejection. The WAREWOLF builds alot bench guns like this. This Post was for the Model 799 not the Model 700 or 7.

I think the 799 is way overpriced! I think the deal was best when Charles Daly was importing the gun/action. Not the gun I would buy or have people buy for $500.

That is true. Charles Daly was selling these Zastava Mauser for $300 each. Given that the Charles Daly synthetic stock is not as nice as the Remington laminated stock it still does not make sense to pay an extra $200 for a little upgrade on the stock.

Back