45 gr. .223 Winchester White Box

timb

I bought some of these today. I am intrigued with the speed, 3600 fps, and have heard that they are very accurate.

Anyone have any experience on coyotes with these?
Tim

No experience on coyotes because I couldn't get over the fact that they keyhole out of my Colt at 100 yds with 4-5" groups. 1/7 twist

I've shot quite afew coyotes with that rd. They were very accurate in my Bushmaster V-Match 1:9 twist. They'll drift quite abit in a cross/quartering wind of 10mph or so. Even @ 100yrds.

Last edited:
Personally I won't shoot coyotes with the white box due to having seen two done in by them. The splash damage that I saw was incredible and saw no proof that the bullet actually penetrated the body. The first one ran with massive external wounds about three miles before we could catch up to it and put it out of its misery (Silver Lining: reinforced my need to carry a side arm even if the snakes aren't out). The second one was shot at close range and was forced to die due to having so much of its side blown off that its guts couldn't stay inside. On the shooting side of things I did get what I would consider good groupings for modest priced factory ammo in the sub 1" area but I also had a high rate of flyers at about 10 - 15%. Factoring the flyers in I would say that I had horrible groups. Even with the flyers they are still priced very low, just wish they would mark the flyers so I could pick them out.

This is the only round that would not shoot well out of my savage .223 the groups were worthless for my gun. It is a 1:9 twist and loves the 52-65 grain v-max much much better groups.

the white box stuff is the most universally accurate factory ammo I have ever tried, every 223 I have tried it on accuracy is wonderful, only problem is the stuff clocks no where near 3600fps, more like 3250 or so out of a 24" barrel, this light brick like bullet should not be used on yotes past 200 yards.

shot 2 yotes last season with this round. both shots were under 50 yds. they did a little splashing even though i didnt hit the shoulder, (kind of messy skinning).
this prompted me to work up the hand load i use now, 55 gr. sierra spitzer boattail, w/ H335.
no more splash , nice .22 cal hole going in.
i have to say that winny white box does shoot great out of my savage though. they do woodchucks in impressively.

jk

We have noticed that the speed is no where near where its listed on the box. I have a tikka .223 with a 1 in 8 twist. Its very accurate but i would go to a heavier load. I have not shot any coyotes with it. But i did shoot a huge coon with it last week and i was pretty disappointed with it. The coon was drt but it did splash really bad. I will stick to my 55 or 60 grain vmax loads. I also like the federal premium vshox. They shoot fantastic.

Quote:
We have noticed that the speed is no where near where its listed on the box. I have a tikka .223 with a 1 in 8 twist. Its very accurate but i would go to a heavier load. I have not shot any coyotes with it. But i did shoot a huge coon with it last week and i was pretty disappointed with it. The coon was drt but it did splash really bad. I will stick to my 55 or 60 grain vmax loads. I also like the federal premium vshox. They shoot fantastic.

I have the Tikka .223 with the 1:12 twist and get good accuracy with the WWB. Average for eight five shot groups including all shots (no discounted flyers) came in at .91 at 100 yards for me. Never shot a yote with it but a ground squirrel becomes bite size pieces for the ants! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No one has mentioned the cost of the WWB, it used to be $13 a box for the 40 packs at Sportsmans, now it's $22, making it one of the most expensive compared to Black Hills and Ultramax reman that are still under $18 a box for 50.

Tim

I shot a huge feral cat @ 136yds with no exit from my .223 Encore. Super accurate bullet, but I would not recommend it for coyotes due to lack of penetration.

Sportmans ware house here, its still 12-15.00 a box. I think it is great. In 22-250 it is only 20.00.
I have killed yotes with it from 70 to 349 yards, none shot more than once, no splash.
The 349 was trotting, quartering away, I shot him just behind the last rib on the right side, bullet slid up into the lungs, DRT with in 5 feet.
It is not my favorite hunting load but it works just fine.
Carl

2 coyotes I shot with these was DRT. Now for the 3rd, I wan't using the white box instead had a Reminton UMC 45 grain HP, hit it in the pelvis, shattered it rendering it's rear legs useless. That particlar coyote made me glad I wasn't using the white box due to splashes on bone. Out of a 1-12 twist they average close to the speed on the box with excellent accuracy. Shot a Jackrabbit with the white box and it exploded, to the point that you could see shockwave marks in the dirt. Seein what it did to that jackrabbit and not using them on that last coyote made me decide to quit using the white box and use something with more penetration.

t/c223encore.

I have shot several coyotes with this round and I have also run them through a chronograph.. The speed that I got from a 26 " barrelled Savage 112 bull was 3400 average.. Not what was advertised but danged close..

Accuarcy wsa scary.. Les than hald inch at 100..

Like was mentioned before it will drift in a wind....

No splashes on my end as of yet.. As a matter of fact it always seemed to do to much damage in the form of large opposite side holes..

I got really good accuracy with them out of my Savage 223 FV, but I really bought them for the WW cases. That is until I saw how far off center some of the primers are. I measured them to see if it was my firing pin but my pin mark was dead center. Some are so far off I was almost afraid to shoot them. Going to junk mine and buy new brass.

I just got back from our local gander mountain buying some icefishing stuff. I looked at the factory ammo there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Win white box was 30$ a box.

50gr. Vmax were up to 17$ a hundred. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Makes me feel better about the 5500 Vmax's I just ordered on a group buy. Actually only 2750, I split the order with another guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We paid a little over 9$ a hundred. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back