6.5x.284 Norma 125 partition for elk

utahpredator_7

I keep changin my mind on what I want...but I want a 6.5 for sure. Lookin' at a T/C in 6.5x284, shooting 125 gr. partitions (since I don't reload) and are they good for elk? People have killed elk with them in the .264 win mag, with 200 fps higher, will the 6.5x284 do as well?

I also am looking at the 6.5-284 for deer ad lopes but if I were to go for elk I would think about the 140 Barnes x bullett shock 125 grs in my opinion is way to light good luck

Lots of folks bought into the 264 Win mag when it first came out here in Idaho. It turned out to be a poor elk killer with the bullets offered from the factory at that time. The Nosler partitions are much better bullets, but the 6.5 is an extremly light gun for an elk rifle.

It will kill, but you will need to be careful about both shot placement and ranges you shoot. If your hunting steep country keep in mind a wounded elk can go a long ways and it's usually downhill into a place that will make recovery hard.

I use an 8mm Rem mag for an elk rifle and my hunting partner has used a 7mm Remington mag stoked with 175 grain Speer Grand Slams for a long time now.

Most of the folks I know that hunt elk here in Idaho use as a minimum the 308. The 30-06 is popular along with all of the 30 magnums.

I've got a friend whose wife has killed perhaps 20 elk in the past 25 years. She uses a 243 with heavy bullets. I don't believe she's ever taken a shot longer than a hundred yards and 99 percent of her shots are neck shots.

Basically she proves that any good centerfire can take game the size of elk, but in the past 45 years of elk hunting I've also seen lots of elk wounded and lost with much more potent calibers/cartridges.

Bottom line is if your a careful hunter most anything will work. If you plan on harvesting and do have to take a less than perfect shot then can you turn it down?

I know the argument about a poor shot with a monster magnum can wound just as a poor shot from a 223 will, but I also feel we owe it to the game to use a cartridge powerful enough to do a quick certian job.

I don't know where your going to hunt elk, but it you come to Northern Idaho drop me a PM and I can point you in the right direction to some fair hunting.

If you are going to hunt Elk with the 6.5-.284 I would go with a 140 grain partition or other premium 140 grain bullet.

Last year i considered taking my 264 WM on my Elk hunt but decided against it and again used my 338-06 Ack with the 210 Swift Scirocco and my bull again went about 30 yards before going down. If i had taken the 264 i was going to use the 125 Nosler Part or Barnes Triple Shock, which ever it shot the best. Shoot straight and the 6.5x 284 and the Nosler 125 Part will kill your bull, but for Elk hunting bullet weight really does makes a difference. There is a lot of hype about Elk being bullet proof but put a good expnding bullet in the lungs and they won't go far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
How bad is a .264's recoil compared to the 6.5-.284?

I don't think the 264 WM kicks any harder than the 270 Win with a 130 gr . I built my 264 WM on a Montana 1999 LH action and Montana #4 contour barrel at 25 inch's. The stock is a MPI glass stock. I shoot the Nosler 120 gr BT with Rel 25 and the rifle groups this load around 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I took this buck the first day of VA rifle season with the above load at about 270 yards . One shot , one kill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bobandbuck.jpg

MONTANA.jpg

Maybe I missed some thing, you want a 6.5-284 and you don't reload? I am having one built for me, and it is easy to get 6.5-284 brass, but it is not cheap. I am not sure a 140 gr bullet is a elk stopper. So where do you get your ammo?
Jim

Back