Removing rust on bolt question

BMAC4555

I have heard of everyone using 000 steel wool to clean off rust off barrels but what about the bolt. I have a new Remington 700, and for some reason rust has appeared. Must of had it in the wrong place. I tried to wipe it off with Rem Oil wipes, but did not work to good. Would the steel wool scratch the bolt at all or is there something else I should use? Any info would be appreciated. thanks

Try four ought steel wool, 0000. It's much finer. If you have a bolt that's engine turned it may dull that up a little. Better to have the rus off though.

is the bolt jeweled, or some other fanciness? or is it just in the white? i've taken some very fine sandpaper to my stainless weapons, but some people don't want to try it. the steel wool should not scratch it, at least not noticably. go with 0000, oil is pretty helpful in rust removal.

steel wool does get into the weapon slightly. you should not be able to see the scratches, as the should be extremely fine, but i have heard stories of people using it on stainless weapons, and finding the deposits that the wool left behind can begin to rust.

it's hard to know exactly what to do, unless we know what you have, specifically. my weapons are not pretty (except for my over/under), so i normally will not hesitate to take steel wool to blued weapons, or sandpaper to stainless ones.

Wait!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Before trying steel wool, soak the rusty spots w/a light oil that will penetrate the rust, a good light gun oil will work fine. Then take a round shanked screw driver, such as a phillips, and place it crossways to your bolt, rub back and forth while applying pressure.

The round bit will not scratch your finish and will remove any built up rust quickly.

Regards,
hm

From LOTS of personal experience from upwards of 80 firearms in saltwater conditions I may be able to help on this one. In the Navy we use Break Free CLP. Its not just a solvent, its a cleaner, lubricant, and preservative. I would first try a bit of clp, let it sit for a few and just brush the rust off with a soft tooth brush, possibly even just wipe it off with a soft rag. 0000 steel wool is fine, but I tend to use it quite sparingly. Eventually the steel wool will break down the bluing and create more problems. Try the CLP, you will be impressed. Just apply generously, let it sit, then wipe off any excess. I use it on all my personal firearms now, and use them at upwards of -20 to 110 F without any real problems.

Good luck

Kroil works excellent for removing light surface rust. I would soak it in Kroil first and wipe off the majority of it first with just a rag.

A trick I learned quite some time ago is to put gun oil on it and rub with a pencil eraser. You may want to use one of the bigger erasers. Sometimes it works with elbow grease.

Forgot. you can also put some dry graphite in with the gun oil before taking the eraser to it. Can work well on blued surfaces too.

It is a jeweled bolt. That is why I was wondering if steel wool would damage it. I think I am gone to go try the Break Free CLP and see what happens. Thanks

There is a penetrating oil out there called PB Blaster that works outstanding, the rust will melt right off, but if you can't find it WD40 may also work depending on the severity of the rust.

Stainless steel wool is available if you can find it. Regular steel wool will cause stainless guns to "rust" in damp conditions.

Back