i missed

hotdog

i missed the black coyote i have been after for weeks now i had a black and brown come in on me.. i was lying down and had to spin 45 degrees to get on him they were coming on a string /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so when i moved i had to do the belly spin and when i did that i wasnt quite adjusted on my bi pod so i had to readjust and when i did that boom!!! i was [beeep] they ran like they were being chased by a hound and it was all over i had 2 running shot at about 300 yds but no connection i was wearing big heavy gloves cause it was cold i think ill take a little bit of cold fingers next time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif i am discusted right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I have found out that after 37 years of hunting you will screw up and miss every now and then. When ever I miss I'm in a foul mood for days but I do get over it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hinda sight is 20/20, but here are some things to think about.

First, unless I am lined up in a shooting lane, I never lay down because I know the dogs can come from any direction and I want to be able to move.

Second, have a hand call or E caller ready to do a yote or fox distress sound after you shoot. There is a chance that when you shoot and miss, or even if you hit one, and then you yelp on the caller, it will cause others to turn and check on their buddy.

As for gloves, I wear fingerless gloves that have the fold down mittons. Gander Mountain has a bunch of stuff on clearance right now and you can find good deals on stuff like gloves. They are the Guide Series TecH2o waterproof gloves with magnets instead of velcro to hold the mitton part back. Downfall is you cannot remove the thumb. Only problem I see with that is is you have flip up scope covers and if you normally use your thumb to take off your safety. I have just gotten in the habit of using my index finger to turn off the safety.

Just remember, I think we learn more from a miss than we do from a kill. There are plenty of other dogs and hunting days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I bought a set of mittens from Cabelas that the thumb folds over too. I like them a lot. The only thing you have to watch is the magnets that hold them in place will mess with your compass if have them on.

I now what you are feeling, so some reason I missed one Wed. night that I stopped broadside 180 yards away. Everything was perfect, he came like he was supposed to but I didn't want him to wind me.
Those are the shots I practice for, I know I rushed my shot. A lesson learned.

Quote:
I bought a set of mittens from Cabelas that the thumb folds over too. I like them a lot. The only thing you have to watch is the magnets that hold them in place will mess with your compass if have them on.

I had a pair like that, but during deer season, I had the thumb part get caught on my safety and almost missed the oppertunity to shoot the only deer I saw all season. He was running at full speed and I only had a 30 yard shooting width, so the gloves damn near made me miss the shot altogether.

They were nice, but I am just very scared that same thing is going to happen. I think it was a freak thing, but it was enough for me to want a new pair.

hey hotdog
looks like it was a day full of misses for everybody
did you howl them in or did they come to the rabbit distress
better luck next time PALEOTTER

Missed a large reddish one Thursday myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Three times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
Guess thats why they call it hunting rather than killing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Later
DF2

that is why i love hunting coyotes they are hard to hit.
i don't remember the last deer or elk i missed with a rifle that is why i hunt them with a bow just gotta have the challenge.
if i got upset every time i miss a coyote I'd be mad all the time. i do everything i can not to even not taking the shot but some coyotes are bullet proof.

BULLET PROOF COYOTES
we have alot of them around here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

I have been hunting 45 years, and believe me I have had my share of misses. Just last month I missed a grey and a yote from the same set back to back at 100 yards from a solid rest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I checked zero on the rifle and it was right on the nuts. Go figure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Back