223 tracer reloading

Quote:
Can you reload 223 tracer bullets with normal reloading data?

Sure, but how are you going to pull the tracer rounds out of the cases? I was always scared to try that, fearing they would light off and set the powder charge off in my puller. You might want to put some thought into that, you're dealing with phosphorous compounds and they're pretty unstable, I believe. (I could be completely wrong on this).

GP, don't shoot those in dry places. I gave a couple hundred rds of them to my buddy to reload. The dumb @$$ caught his little open field on fire last spring. Fire dept came out, wasn't cool...

Tracers are a mixture of strontium salts and magnesium,not very accurate as their weight changes as they burn off. Might not hurt your barrel as some variations do not ignite until a delay so as not to give up shooters location. I sure as heck would not shoot them out of any rifle I cared much about though.Russians I think use barium salts, may not be too good on barrels either.

Steve M, I thought they would be good if a person got lost. Evil, Cabelas has the bullets for sale in their reloading catalog.

Quote:
Evil, Cabelas has the bullets for sale in their reloading catalog.

Alright then, you should be good to go. Don't burn the place down, they're good at starting fires in dry conditions.

They will start fires even under pretty damp conditions. A friend of mine set a mountain in Maryland on fire in November. Maryland in November is not very dry.

Jack

Back