MN February moon calling reports.

Maid 4 sets lastnight and called in 2 Fox we did not get a shot off at eaither of them.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif!!!BUSTED!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif both times.... Go figure...Just got to keep trying i guess...
Good luck to all.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chris....

Me and Hunter00 and a buddy are heading out tonight for a last moon Hooraa!! Hoping to get 4 to 5 sets in by morning.. Keep u posted...Ps,Good luck to all tonight if your heading out to the feild.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chris.....

Found a last minute partner for tonight.

called in a pair on our first set. Too bad neither of us were looking that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. We cut their tracks on the way out. One was on a good paced trot and did'nt slow down for our tracks. The other one's tracks walked up to ours and ran back from the dirrection it came from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Did not see or hear anything on the second two sets.

Maid 4 sets lastnight...

Met up with Greg and Ron about 1:45am...

Set#1. 2:15am Nothing just heard some howls about 2 miles away.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Set#2.Got there about 3:30am i started call distress calls on and off for about 20 mins or so,I set Greg to my right down wind on a little hill and i put Ron on my left on another hill and i was calling from middle in a strip woods in the bottom of these rolling hills.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Anyways after 20 mins or so i thought im going to change call so i did. I hit the talahoo distress call for about 2-3 mins.. I thought i seen somthing move on the hill right to left keep in mind Greg and Ron are on these little hills about 75yards on both sides of me..Thought hummm.. mybe my eyes are just playing tricks..
So i hit the talahoo very soft for about 3 seconds...

BOOM there is somthing up there moving around on the hill top..
Thinking to my self why aint Greg or Ron lip squeaking or shoting or somthing!! I can see it very well at this point so about 2 mins goes by and nothing so i say hell with it im going to call this thing in if they dont want to.. So i did i started lip squeaking and here it come down the hill at me..
Thinking Ron shot this dam thing and nothing but i know he seen it at this time and he was on it and had it in his scope.. So it keeps comeing still no shot so i got this Yote in my scope and it wont stop it was coming.. So i shot !BANG! thought i drop it dead in its tracks but not the case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif!!!
SO i try to get this Yote to stop "i barked" "i howled" at it and was not stoping.. I shot right over the dam thing it was about 55 yards or so Yeah not cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif..Now Greg see it ran right in front of him the tracks told me so no lie..And he told me that he did not see it till it was to late..I say to late?? It ran right in front of u and u did not try to Stop this thing at all?? He said He drew blank when he seen it..COYOTE FEVER AGAIN!!!
Now im thinking to my self just the other night Chris u just told your self that u would not shot them if they were coming right at u OOOOOOOPPPPSSSS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif!! It looked to be a nice yote at that GRRRRRRRRRR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif!!
Anyways to make a long story some what short i need a BYPOD BAD going to be buying one first thing next week that is for dang sure...
((((THOUGHT OF THE MORNING)))))I can shoot a FOX on the run at 43 yards and shoot a Yote at 117 yards but not 50 some yards i dont get it ooowell life goes on...Keep hunting...
SET#3 Nothing!
SeT#4 Nothing
Did some spot and stock on the way home and seen Nothing!!
....END OF STORY.....TIME FOR BED........................

Chris....

Hey Phil,
Hoping to do some hunting this weekend, probably early morning. Sound wise I am thinking mixing in some female invitation howls with distress. Had success first time out on the Jan full moon with cottontail and snow shoe hare distress on the foxpro getting 1 kill and 3 called in. A couple weeks ago no response using fawn distress and snow shoe hare distress on 4 sets.

What do you think?

thanks

Female invitation this time of year along with prey distress for the extreme cold temps we've been having is sure to be a killer combonation right now. If you get a chance, pm me the sounds you have in your arsonal and I'll tell you what I think might work best, and what order to put them in.

I made three sets last Thursday night! After the first and second set I was thinking "what the hell am I doing out here" Went to one more spot and on the drive in we spotted two in a field 100 yards off the field drive - my partner jumps out loads a shell and has one in his sights for a second and over the hill it went. We drove in a bit farther and parked the truck and walk over the rise to our last spot and one pops out of a small drainage ditch. We both get down and I give it a few lip squeaks and here it comes. Stops @50 yards and my buddies .243 barks! One down!It was a nice male and that was it for the night!

Went back to the same spot Saturday night and call on and off for 40min. I was about ready to call it quits and one comes in from the back side and just about ran us over. I stop it 60 yards and whack! Dog down - It was a nice female, but the 22-250 did some damage. Made a couple more set and nothing! Sure was cold out there!

Good luck everyone!

I have not Howled in the last 10 days and have shot 22 Coyotes all with the distress sounds. I bought 4 calls off of the Custom call page from Badtothebone. And have used them and have shot every Coyote using his calls. They do sound differant than anything else I have. They sound alot like the old Big Rivers sounded like.

Just stick with the distress sounds you cant go wrong. In these cold days they have to eat.

Quote:
one pops out of a small drainage ditch. We both get down and I give it a few lip squeaks and here it comes. Stops @50 yards and my buddies .243 barks! One down!

call on and off for 40min. I was about ready to call it quits and one comes in from the back side and just about ran us over. I stop it 60 yards and whack! Dog down -

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gifYou get the atta boy award for being aware of your surroundings on the way out to your set, for being confident enough to sit for 40 mins. and for watching your back side on the set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Leaddog i thought the same thing when i started this year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif... However i have called in 6 coyotes and six Fox and i dont even know anymore on Owls in 43sets and lots of time...But i have only shot one Yote that i have called in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif,,I would say just keep trying and dont give up it will happen trust me...I was in your boat and was going to give up and the one time i thought i was not going to see anything boom i called in a Yote on my own and shot one on my own,, DONT GIVE UP!!! And good luck... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Chris...

Thanks for your words New Coyote. Just ordered the Randy Anderson mouth diagham and dvd. I am getting all work up on this predator hunting thing. I won't give up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifThats what we like to here NO GIVING UP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif!!! Before i started hunting i watched all of Randys moives and man did that help me out alot Randy know his SH-T when it comes to calling Yotes or Fox that is for dang sure... Good luck hunting them Yotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif....

Chris....

Only got to do 2 sets Sunday morning. First set was in the dark using my ultrastinger light and no customers. 2nd set was at first light and started with female inv and a pack started howling back about a 1/4 mile away. Another pack opened up about a quarter mile in another direction. Only thing I ended up calling in though were a couple raccoons. Swithed to distress calls but still no customers.

Ended up locking my keys in the car (smart) after my 2nd set so by the time I got back into the car I just decided to scout some land I recently received permission on. Will be up north in the Grand Rapids area this weekend so may try my luck with a couple sets up there.

Back