Truck high racks

burris

Just wanted to see if any of you have and custom built truck bed high racks for night hunting simillar to Randy Watsons. I am considering building one my self. If so, I would like to see some pics. I want mine to be able to be transfered from one full sized truck bed to another.

f67c6022.jpg

fdfe24f5.jpg

fdfe24b9.jpg

Jesus Randy. That thing reminds me of a prison's guard tower!! It must be nice. Here in the Hoosier state it is illegal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Here's ours, simple but effective. Check out the size of that coyote next to Nolan, that's the first coyote he shot out of it. Bet she went fourty pounds, last winter by the way, it's been gatherin lots of dust.
night_rig_005.jpg

night_rig_001.jpg

I am currently working on a design that will plug in to my trailer hitch and be transferable from my pickup to my suburban. Haven't finished it so I have no photos but its going to be great.

Can someone give me a close up or explain how the base of the calling chair is attached to the truck...the side rails or what? Thanks.

heres mine , it will go from one truck to another but its a little heavy, I do load it by myself

Z71chair2.jpg

Z-71chairinbed.jpg

its built on a skid that loads and unloads easily and will fit in any full size truck

Burris, mine has a piece of Nylatron, graphite impregnated nylon, driven into the top of the 2" line pipe. There is a 1" hole through it that takes the shaft that's welded to the bottom of the chair, a plate that the seat cushion is bolted too. The shaft is machined from a schedule 80 or double x 1" nipple, and is welded into a piece of drill collar then machined smooth to ride on top of the bushing.Ya get the jest. I need to come up with a rotating contact now so I can forget about the wire for the light. I built some adjustability into mine so my son could use it. The shooting and arm rests move up and down. Hope this helps.

My seat is attached using a wheel spindle off and old cotton trailer. the shaft is welded into the 2" pipe and the end that you mount the tire on is bolted to the bottom of the seat. The seat I used on mine is a bucket seat out of a chevy truck, it's a little heavier than an office chair but the comfort is well worth it and it's got a seat belt also so no one takes a fall from up top while we're moving.

There are 2 u-shaped pieces of 1.5x1/4" flat bar welded on the inside of the bed rails. The saddles have pin holes drilled through them at the top to hold the crossbar down. The chair is mounted to a piece of pipe that goes across the bed, and sits in the saddles. This allows the chair to be layed down into the back of the bed for transport, then quickly raised for hunting. My swivel is a 5 hole trailer spindle. The spindle is fixed to a leather office chair. I revised the armrests so that they are both adjustable. Notice in the pictutes, there is a landing(for your feet) that is adjustable for taller or shorter hunters.

Randy,

Thank you for the info. last night I sat and watched your video over and over studing the "killing chair" but never could get a good angle on how it was attached to the bed of the truck. I have been trying to book a trip with you but it seems that you are very booked up. Maybe I will try again in a few months. Thanks again.

My hunting partner and I just finished a hunting rack to fit my long bed Ford pickup. I don't have any pictures yet, but will take some soon and post them. We built a platform with the floor raised a foot above the cab of the truck. It is large enough for four people, and still enough room to move around. We installed a guard rail around the top which makes a perfect gun rest while seated on a small stool. It is very stable and we are able to ride on top of it while we are moving from stand to stand. Also works great for hunting rabbits. We have used it for calling on three occasions and were fairly successfull. Last night, we had our first double, a near miss and a hard charger come within 40 feet of us. None of them ever saw us or caught wind of us. Construction was very simple, with a chop saw and a wire feed welder, we contructed our stand in a day.
Good hunting

Back