Homemade snow camo

unklebuck

Just wondering if anyone had made their own snow camo? I have snow camo pants and was thinking of making a top out of a white bed sheet.

It is pretty cold out and the top I have will not fit over my heavier jacket. Just wodered how the bed sheet idea worked out for anyone.

I'll have to do the sewing myself since my girlfriend failed Home Ec. True story.

Real simple. Go buy a plain white long sleeve t-shirt 1 or 2 sizes bigger than your camo coat. Cut some patches out of it or make some rips. Put on over top of camo coat. The rips make just enough of the camo come through while the rest looks white. 5 dollar snow camo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also, white garbage work well over top if its wet snow... keeps you nice and dry.

Last edited:
oh yeah another thing that works well is if you arrive where you want to hunt and there is fresh powder you werent expecting, lay down in it. If its cold enough a thin layer of snow will stick to your clothes and break you up enough in the snow. Ive done this bowhunting on several occasions.

I have used a tyvek paint suit that I bought at the auto parts store for 5 bucks, then painted it with some gray and olive green paint. Works great and is big enough to fit over my normal hunting clothes. Warning though they run small. I'm using a 3 xxl.

If you know any one your size that teaches science in high school, a nurse, doctor they might want to throw you an old lab coat. We have a sporting goods store in PA called DICKS that carries a nice snow camo for about $30. It is light, zipper, slash pockets to get into your under coat and is long enough to cover my butt. It does a nice job for me.

I also use the tyvek paint suit. It costed me $6, is pretty strong too. You can then add whatever camo pattern you want. Plus if it gets ripped, stained or whatever you are only out $5 or so.
The only thing I don't like is it has only one pocket in the back. I like lots of pockets to carry things in, but for that price I can't complain at all.

HI, i'm hunting in quebec corn field in winter, so it is plain white snow with a little bush this and there. So i use a white paint suit over my working winter clothes (green coat and carhart yellow pants). It work really well with a camo mask(10$) and white working gloves(10 pair 5$). That way your entire body is hide in the snow and only your face is out hidding in a little bush if hunting lying down in a ditch (really confortable cause the snow is molding your body perfectly and can also make a stand for your rifle. Worth a try for 5 box...

I have used the tyvek paint suits, but rough them up a little bit to break up the white. Some paint them....I prefer to rub them in the md and moss in the fall...once stained, even when the solids fall off, it still adds a nice pattern to the suit.....all still for about five bucks.

WNYStalker

I used a white bedsheet with a hole cut in the middle as a poncho for years. Put it on when you get to stand, covers everything including your boots....works great.

Yellow stains give even better contrast to the camo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony

Quote:
Yellow stains give even better contrast to the camo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony

ewww.lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tyvek works great if you stay away from briars. Otherwise, it rips to shreds. But, in the open fields, it's great camo, and cheap. I paid about $7.00 for this coverall.

Snow1-1.jpg

Coyote3.jpg

+1 on the bedsheet as a poncho.

Keep one in my clothes bag for buds that don't have snow camo.

I wear a snow camo fleece pullover when conditions warrant, over regular camo bibs.

Clayman

unklebuck

I have used the bed sheet idea for years. With it in the poncho form there is no sewing at all and it fits over anything you wear. I put a little black spray paint on it for contrast. It is much easier to get into and out of than the tyvex, and lasts forever. Again the poncho breaks up your shape great too.
S3010107.jpg

Shameless

6mm has the same idea as I had I just bought a 25$ pair of coveralls and then for christmas I got an old school all white 3 hole ski mask and I plan on marking it up a little bit. Very cheap way to get some snow camo though.

Instead of the bed spread I used a white shower curtain liner. It was only 5 bucks at the dollar store and is a fabric imprregnated with rubber. kept me dry and even helped to cut the wind a little. Didnt snag as much on brush either.

Back