useing shotguns for yotes

mrcoon

i am using a benelli nove that shots 2 3/4 thru 3 1/2 shells. what is a good longer range shot that has lots of knock down power to drop those buggers? what kinda yardage are we talking also? thanks

[This message has been edited by mrcoon (edited 04-09-2001).]

Hello Mrcoon, Thats a nice shotgun you have there.
It should be just about the cats meow for shotgunnin predators.
I personally prefer the 3"mags in #4 buck for coyotes. I used the copper plated BB's for many years and finally changed . Havent regretted it one time.
As for range,now thats a question that has many opinions. Again personally I think that a shotgun was designed almost perfectly for short range fast moving target's, so I try and not take away from that.
About 50 yards on the very outside is the limit for me. I like nothing tighter than a full choke ,and I know they can vary so I pattern mine at 4o yards. If it will consistently stick enough pellets in a coyote size target at that range to be effective it doesent get much better in my opinion.
Happy hunting!

mrcoon,
You will need to pattern your shotgun with different brands of shells to find out which one your particular shotgun prefers. I recommend three inch magnums because they are easy to find at most good sporting good stores. You want the copper or nickle plated and buffered shot. Federal "premium", Win XX and Remington "premier" are all good ones. Buy a box with BB shot and one with #4 Buck (not birdshot). Try shooting these through the tightest choke that came with your shotgun (full or X full). I'm betting that your shotgun will deliver coyote killing patterns to 40 yards or beyond.

I believe here in NY you must use #4 shot or smaller when hunting at night with a light and shotgun.(Or a .22 cal rimfire if you use a rifle) Are #4's enough to hold down a large coyote? Seems pretty light to me since everything else I've ever read suggests either 00 buck or #4 buckshot.

Bob....
Just trying to get your graphic to show in your signature box....
------------------
fea900b9.jpg.orig.jpg

[This message has been edited by AzWill (edited 04-11-2001).]

Bob,
I have to admit that I have not tried it but I'm betting that a magnum load of #4 birdshot from a tightly choked twelve gauge would be deadly out to twenty five yards or so on coyotes.

I've used the .12 gauge three inch magnum turkey loads with #4 shot on several coyotes. Out to around 25 yards they killed the coyote but a tracking job was in order to recover the fur.
When using the magnum loads of 4 Buckshot, theres no tracking involved. That stuff will rug a coyote out in a heartbeat, IF you know your gun, choke, and load combinations range limitations. See the Firearms section for the post concerning shotguns and loads.

------------------
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always Right!"

Mrcoon: To take what Rich said a little farther...since you don't live too far from me and since I have some of those loads and since you have a real nice shotgun, you could let me shoot your shotgun to pattern it,etc and then if I liked the gun, you could just let me keep it. Wadaya think about that idea?

Man did I ever get a sick feeling in my gut reading 25 yards being the max distance! Another dumb law for NY! They want the coyotes thinned out but then they restrict you to using #4 shot in a shotgun for hunting at night when it's seems most productive to hunt them. I don't get it! The state DEC needs to get their heads out of their butts on this one!

I would be curious how many coyote hunters could get a coyote in to less than 25 yards on a regular basis? I'd bet not many.

AzWill thanks for the help with the signature! You da' man!!

------------------
fea900b9.jpg.orig.jpg

BobNY,
I think I read on different thread where you hunt the thick stuff a lot. Back there in the thick cover, coyotes will come just fine in daytime, and that is when I would hunt it.

Hey guys I have been using #4 buckshot and I have put a coyote down at 55yds and was totally amazed. I know Songdogger uses #4 buckshot also.. He got it from me and 15 minutes later shot a nice West Texas coyote..Can't beat #4 buckshot on close coyotes!!!!!

------------------
Bus-Bus

I haven't killed a coyote with my shotgun YET
but I killed a couple of little feral hogs monday night that showed up a my turkey stand.I was useing #4 turkey loads(federal premium)with a full choke and they both dropped dead as rocks at 20 yards.I have some "00" buck I'm gonna try and take one with tonight.I just feel a little naked without my rifle.But my huntin buddy is going to pack his so I guess we'll be alright.I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Later,
Justin

Back