What power scope for .223 coyote gun?

bighouse

I an going to buy a new rifle soon and I am having a hard time deciding on a scope. If I go with a 6-24 will 6 be to much power for close range stuff?

Thanks for any advice.

I've got hi power variables on other rifles for prairie dogs, but for coyotes I got a 3-9x, I didn't want to have to fool around with a parallax adjustment for shooting coyotes.

The only problem with high power scopes is when a coyote sneaks in to short range. Some folks use a shotgun for these, but if you hunt by yourself carrying two guns is a pain.

usually a scope that tops out at 9 to 10 power will be good enough for shots out to 500 yards and I'd guess that I've killed few past 350 yards.

My Ruger #1 has a 3 by 9 Weaver Classic and my Rem 700 VLS has a 6 by 24. The Ruger goes coyote hunting and the heavy bbl Rem sits in the safe. The new CZ in 204 has a beautiful old Tasco 8 by 32 Target dot on it. Great for popping ground squirrels, but I missed a bobcat last week at about 30 yards because I couldn't find the reticle, just a puff of fur. He made it to a ditch before I could find the reticle. This gun's getting a 2.5 to 10 Weaver classic thats sitting on my 22 rifle this week before it goes back out coyote hunting.

The best calling scope in my opinion is the 3x9 or 3.5x10 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Three power is the highest lower end magnification I'd start with for coyotes. A 1.5X actually makes more sense.

More coyotes are lost because of slow target aquisition in the scope than lack of magnification.

I certainly agree with that. If a dog comes in fast it is difficult to keep a high powered scope on him. I've had very good luck this season with a 1.5-5X Remington .243 pump in heavy grass and cedars and very seldom gone above 1.5X power.

For some time i use the Swarovski 4-16x 50 With a TDS cross and a light in the middle for night shots.
Main tube is 30 mm

I must say that i like that scope very very much

Greeting form Holland

Doublet

My calling rifle in 223 has a 1.5 x 4.5 one it this is my 100 - 150 yrd gun my 204 has a 5x15 on it and i use this where ever the terrain allows for shots from 100 to 300 yrds
Also the 1.5x4.5 is a bushnell with firefly retical this is my night rifle and i never can see at night past 100yrd anyhow. I agree with mnleon about more coyotes being lost to no finding them in the scope, also the higher the magnifacation the smaller the feild of veiw.

I use 6-24X or straight 24X on PD guns (about 15 to 18 power is usually about right), but for calling I have a 1.5-5X Leupold on my AR, and a 2-7X Leupold on my .243; I always call with them set on their lowest power.

Last edited:
It kind of depends on if you will use the gun for anything else. My coyote gun is a heavy barreled .22-250, since I don't have a lot of money it also gets duty as my prairie dog rifle. With that in mind I wanted a scope that would work for both. I use a Weaver Grand Slam in 6-20x40. For coyote hunting it never leaves 6x, but I also wanted the extra magnification for prairie dogs. I'm saving my money right now for a dedicated coyote rifle. It will wear a scope that has 4 for it's lowest power and probrably no more the 12 on the top end. Hope this helps.
bullpup

I agree that if you use your .223 other varmint hunting like Prairie Dogs or Rock Chucks than a 4x12 or maybe a 4.5x14 might be the ticket but if it's mainly for coyotes a 2x7 or 3x9 would be perfect. I have three main coyote guns, all sporter weight. My .243 has a 3x9 Bushnell 3200 and the other two have 4.5x14 Nikon Buckmasters, (a 22-250 and a .204 Ruger that see a lot of duty for walk around chucks, ground squirrels and prairie dogs.) When coyote hunting I set my scopes on the lowest power and almost never change it. I've killed a lot of coyotes out to 300 yards with the scopes set at 3 or 4.5 power.

I've got a Mueller 8.5-25x44mm AO on my rig, but it will be mostly be used for varmints like rock chucks, ground squirrels, etc. I guess if you're hunting a really open area the extra power would come in handy, and then just bring a shotgun or .22WMR or something of the like for the ones that sneak in close.....

I use a 4x12x40 Bushnell Banner and it is great I too would say 3 power minimum for hunting the dogs. And varmints during the summer.

Back