WHO IS SHOOTING A NEF OR H&R

Thanks for the input I am currentlt shooting my wifes deer rifle which is a rem 260 youth model 7 it is a shooter i can shoot tight groups at 300 yds but it is not fur friendly at all

I've got a friend whom runs a pawn/gun shop. He's just quit taking the NEF's on trade or pawn. The few he has are so loose and wobbly at the hinge pin he's afraid to sell them and just consigns them to the junk pile.

Get a bolt action such as the Stevens, you will not regret it.

Quote:
The few he has are so loose and wobbly at the hinge pin

Probably due to mismatched barrels. The barrels are interchangable, but each barrel must be fitted to your reciever at the factory.

My NEF 223 Ultra is very accurate, typically 1/2 inch or less for 3-shots at 100 yards. But it's also finicky about how it likes to rest on the bench, and how the trigger gets pulled. I'm not selling mine, but I wouldn't buy another one either. It's my loaner rifle.

nef06.jpg

JUNK

I had to trade my 243 Handi after trying all the crap with triggers, stock, reloading, scope bases, 4 inch groups (patterns)and the gun not ejecting half the shells. Buy a new or used bolt gun (Stevens, Savage, Rem, Win, etc). None of the bolts guns have near the problems that the Handi's have.

My brother in law bought one in a .243 for his sons birthday back in august and was disgusted. Couldn't get it to shoot better than a 4" group at 50 yards. His sons friend had the same rifle and could shoot excellent groups with his. He ended up taking it back to the dealer and told him to fix it. The dealer sent it back to NEF. NEF returned it and it shoots fine now. The bad thing is that NEF didn't say what they did to it. He figured they must have put a new barrel on it. So it sounds like to me that there may be a problem with quality control. Sounds like you chance of getting a lemon are pretty good.

I've had some slight extraction problems with my 223, but other than that, it's been a neat little gun. I've killed two turkey with mine so far. It's not as accurate as a good bolt gun, but plenty acceptable for most shooting situations, especially calling or close quarters. Within 100 yards, it shoots good. The trigger on my gun is quite nice, to the point that I was actually impressed by it. I like it, personally. It's simple, solid and well made, in my opinion.

HandiTurkey.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a used NEF in .223. Was looking at buying a new stevens but got this gun for next to nothing. With factory ammo it is shooting 100 yrd 3 shot groups at

PDR_0548.jpg
,This is my handi rifle...204 rug w/22"bull barrel.These groups were fired today in an unaltered rifle,
PDR_1136.jpg
PDR_1135.jpg
I never worry or for that matter thought about the way it was held on the range just aim and shoot thats it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifOh boy, I got the Handiholics wound up again.
http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,109726.0.htmlOK,Yes I am the infamous "Broken-arrow". And to start with, I never said all Handis were junk. (But I know for a fact that SOME are.) I simply said you take your chances when you buy one. And that has been well established.As far as the "brainwashed" comment, if you read the post you'll see it was aimed at the lack of respect towards others opinions, not because you like your Handis so much. Every time I "got in trouble" as you put it,for voicing my opinion,I got PMs from other members who agreed with me. What kind of forum is that? Notice on this forum everyone gets heard and repected.This is mainly why I resigned from posting on GB,(No I wasn't kicked off) along with with a little personal disagreement with Quickdtoo, aka Wrongtarget which I won't discuss. And FYI Mac,I never settle for out of the box accuracy, I love tinkering with my guns and working up loads. Nuff said

I know a guy that used to shoot a .243 handi rifle until I seized it from him this morning. This guy is a notorious road hunter (shoots whatever will stand still) and I have been trying to catch him for several years and it all came together this morning. Long story short... I was driving down a county road doing routine patrol and this guy turns the corner in front of me. I followed him about a half mile figuring he knew I was behind him. Well, he didn't because he was trying to catch up with a coyote. I saw his brake lights come on and while he was still rolling a rifle came out the passenger window. I pulled right up on their bumper and stopped. KABOOM! They still didn't know I was there. I honked my horn and the driver looked in his side view mirror.

Hunting with the aid of a motorized vehicle: $279.40 x 2
Transporting a loaded firearm: $379.40
Shooting from a public roadway: $$279.40
Hunting without landowner permission: $279.40 x 2
3 seized rifles

The looks on their faces when I honked my horn: Priceless

Anyway, kind of got away from the thread but I couldn't resist. These guys were long overdue. I have arrested the driver for an illegal elk in SW okla and he was arrested by another warden for the same thing decribed above except it was a deer in that case.

I bought my son a 223 and took it back as defective. Got a new gun after I explained it would not consistantly hit a barn. New rifle was a little better but still would not group only about a 6 inch string. Bought him a Remington model 7 and later a Weatherby and his guns still shoot better than mine.

He now wants my Remington 308.

I can tell you that I have no issues with my NEF Handi-Rifle, it is a .223 Heavy Barrel and it groups hole in hole. Frankly, there are quite a few people who say NEF's are crap. Some maybe are, however I have had my share of Ruger's, and Remingtons that I wouldn't own again if you paid me. I can tell that there are at least 8 coyotes from last year that could attest (If they were still alive that is!)to the accuracy of my NEF. I only killed about 8 because I didn't get to hunt as much as I wanted too.

Back