Rem 700 222

1bodyman

Just picked up an Rem 700 222 today on a trade. I have never had one, just wondered if any one had a pet load for one with 55 gr bullets. A frend has one and he fills the case full to the top with 4064 and said he has done so for 40 years. I guess I would like to use a little moderner powder an try to get a little more speed out of it. Its and 700 bdl with an plastic stock I would think a houge but not sure about a 2LB trigger and the bolt has been trued. Has a factory bbl.bore looks good. Should be a great pdog. rifle. Maybe I should try a little lighter bullet but I think if I try it on coyotes I would like the heaver bullets kinder to fur. Jim

It's been years since I've delved into the 222 world. Built a Bench rest gun on a Mauser solid bottom action, 26 inch Sheilen barrel, heavy bench stock. Boy what a shooter.

That little worked over Remington should make you a dandy coyote and Pdog rifle. I'd probably think about putting on a laminated stock, I've not had really good luck with the Hogues and there darn near impossible to glassbed.

I havn't dealt with loads for them for a long time, but most of the manuals will give you a good starting point. I can remember using the Speer SX bullets for ground squirrels. They expand really well at 222 velocites.

Good luck with that new rifle.

1bodyman

The .222's have a 1 in 14 twist from factory. The 55 Gr bullet would probably not be the best choice.

I use 40 and 50 Gr bullets and the powders that seem to work best for me are RL7 and N133. In all of the Triple deuces I've owned RL7 has been the most consistant in all of them. But it's looking like the N133 may be right on it heels followed by AA2015.

Last edited:
RL-7 and 50 grain bullets works best in my duce.
My old load of 19.6 gr of 4198 didn't work in my new 222, but it was the best load for my benchrest rifle 30 years ago.

Martyn

1bodyman,

I am using the Nosler 55 grain ballistic tip and fine tuning my load over about 24.4 grains of BL-C2. I am very impressed with accuracy at 100 yards outta my old Rem. 722.

I don't think you can go wrong with what ever powder you choose my 222's like RL7, BL-C2, Benchmark,RL10X and probally some I have forgot. I like the 45 and 50 grain bullets but I don't think it matters the triple duece shoots them all it's a great round and fun to handload. This round doesn't get enough ink with all the other calibers out there it is one of the best fur friendly rounds that I have found.

Back