The one that got away.

d2admin

Administrator
Leonard I got to thinking about what you had written about coyotes and loving or hating them, and wanted to tell a little story.

I was still living on the ranch and I was the local ADC kind of guy for about all of our ranches which covered about 350 sections.

So I never hardly went anywhere with out the means to elimenate said critters.
Well I am driving down the highway on my way to town one day right after a fresh snow when I see a coyote in a cleared off area on one of my Dads gravel pits.

So I whip it around and hop out of the truck and put the sneak on this fella.

I lay down over a bank and have got him dead to rights in my scope at about 100 yards.
I mean this guy was dead, God just hadn't gotten the news yet.
Well he had absolutley no idea I was around so I decided to watch him a second. I could see that this was a young coyote when suddenly he spun around and just took off racing up the side of a great huge snow covered gravel pile. I thought what in the heck?
He reached just about the top and flipped around and came flying back down skidding on the snow!
Ran around in a circle and up he went again.

By then it was obvious that he was just so full of himself and the fun of the moment that he couldnt stand it.
I lay there and watched him for a while through my scope .
Then I just opened the bolt and slipped away without disturbing him.
I knew when I did that I was not fulfilling my job as a predator manager, but I thought that if letting this one coyote go hurts us that bad then I will just have to live with it.

I have taken a lot of coyotes since that day and it sure doesent bother me in the least to put the whack on one. I still like to think about that silly half grown pup playing in the snow ever so often though.

Craig.

Craig...

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

I know I would of done the same thing myself.

I've spent thousand of hours just glassing wildlife in my life time. Something I never get tired of, and been thinking of getting back into the practice in the near future.

As a result I've witnessed many amazing things taking place. Some times I get as big a kick out of just watching critters as hunting them...
wink.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Craig
AzWill got it right, it's a great story. It reminds me of some of the wonderful things about hunting that don't require me to pull the trigger. Thanks

------------------
Chuck

Craig, you did the right thing. That might be about the only circumstance where I'd decline a shot, guess I just haven't had that opportunity. Good story.

Good hunting. LB

Good story Craig.I agree with you completely,
though I've never passed on yotes I've watched many a Deer play at my stand with a rifle at my knees.Some things just feel to special to upset.Nature is a beautiful thing ain't it.

Later,
Justin

Great story Craig! It's kinda like catching a bad stock killer in a trap. You try everything to get him and he keeps hammering stock. Then one day, there he sits. You walk up to him, look at him with that foolish look on his face. Turning him loose crosses your mind.......nah! Blam! LOL! I would have let your little entertainer go. Kinda like that line from Arnold S., "You're pretty funny, I think I will kill you last". Wiley E

Back