Homemade wind indicator powder?

MB2

I bought some of that wind indicator powder, I think it was HS brand. It works awesome but I went through the bottle in about 2 nights. I've tried using baking soda and it works but not near as good as the HS stuff. Anybody out there have some kind of powder that they use? I was also thinking of dying it orange or something, because all white stuff is tough to see when there's snow everywhere. Maybe food dye?

I have been using Lint from the dryer which I keep in a plastic film container. It works amazingly well and is free.

i got a empty contact lens solution bottle and put blue chalk line chalk in it.Works great,you can get the chalk at wal mart for 88 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

use the chalk from the chalk snap lines that they use in construction.

get it in some orange and the stuff is cheap, any lowes, home depot has it, heck ACE/ tru value might...

works like a charm, and if your in a pinch, im sure you have some corn starch in the cupboard

MB2,

Go to the local grocery store and pick up a bottle of plain o' Talc Powder, it is odorless. Talc powder, or corn starch or a combo of the two is what the Companies put it in the indicator bottles that you buy at the Sporting Goods stores.

Baby powder has a scent to it, which could alert the pray.

I was a carpenter for 20 yrs, and the chalk line chalk is a good idea, it is odorless also, and comes in a variety of colors.

Good Luck,
IDB

He He....I love that bottle of powder. I thought I was the only idiot who carried it around...I guess not! You can also refill it with UNSCENTED talc powder. I'd imagine that talc and baby powder, would be more fine of a powder...much like the original stuff.

small visine bottle and baby powder is what i use,
if i can remeber to throw it in tha bag
crumbled grass works when i forget tha little bottle, just takes a couple of tries sometimes

I've been using that smoke in a bottle stuff.
I'll have to try the carpenter chalk. Im almost out and didn't want to pay 5.99 for another bottle of smoke.

Unscented talc powder... BTW, if you're using a bottle for only two hunts, I think you're over doing it. You just need a slight little "puff" or two to know the wind direction. If you're shooting a geyser of powder into the air, that's overkill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I just blow a bubble of saliva (quarter inch) off the tip of my tongue. Takes a little practice, but I never have to reach for anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I use the flame on a lighter,works with the lightest wind and is easy to see,light or dark.
If it is cold, which it usually is,i just watch which way my breath floats.

Last edited:
I can tell which way the wind is blowing by how it is hitting my face. Might look at the trees or grass. This may be a smart a$$ answer but have never needed a powder to see which way the wind is blowing.??

I used to use my breath, weed seeds, the back of my neck, etc... for checking wind direction for years. All of them work, but I switched, about 6-7 years ago, to calling with the wind at my back, or a very slight cross wind. I personally have my best luck when I'm calling a coyote right up some cover or a fence, that is literally feet from the edge of my scent cone. Only powder will carry far enough for me to watch which way the wind swirls farther down the stand, where it is critical to me.

I prefer ultra-fine, unscented talc.

Tony

Back