Male:female coyote kill ratio

tt35

Posted an observation regarding my kill ratio of males to females on the now somewhat infamous and driven-into-the-ground post on "unwanted publicity". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif So, I thought I would try again here.

My hunting partner, Verminator2, and I are killing close to 10:1 ratio of males to females. Most of the males are mature weighing around 32 pounds which seems to be about average for this area.

My theory is that the dominant males are coming to the calls more readily to either take a meal or kick some butt. One of the largest males was opened up by a most un-fur-friendly bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and he had a whole jack rabbit in his belly-- obviously not hungry.

What is your kill ratio? Is anyone else having similar results? Any other theories on the high ratio?

Thought it might be good for some discussion and comparison.

I'm glad you brought this up.
My kill ratio this year is also heavy on the male side. I have only called in a killed one female (that I know of, hard to ground check the ones that didn't meet with a bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). At the same time I have harvested 11 called in males.
Up untill just recently I have kept my calls to distress, I'm not pregidous, any coyote will do for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Also, untill the last week all the coyotes that have come in have been singles. I would think it odd that the females wouldn't be a hungry as the males. Maybe they are just more carefull? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The CoyoteDoctors have always kept yearly records on male to female ratios on coyotes we've called and harvested. Some years we end up with more males and some years the females prevail. Over the course of about 15 years of keeping records, the number is surprisingly even (or not so if you think about it).
Typically the percentage is no more than 70% of one by the end of the year, as the trailing sex tends to catch up as the year goes along.
Doc

I have killed 22 coyotes this year. 1 has been a male /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif, a small male to boot(this years pup). I have no idea why I have killed so many females. I just wish I could kill all the ones I see and then some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

We have taken 6 males and one female since december. I think we are shooting the wandering males looking for a mate. What else is cool about it is they have showed up in less than 5 mins and one as quick as 27 seconds.

Back