tuesday night hunt, pretty long

CXP1

Myself and .270win seen a bunch of trucks running around this area over the weekend that were in a predator hunting contest. after talking to some of them at the local stop and rob we got the itch to do some calling. So, come tuesday night when we were both off work we went. two other friends were supposed to go however they backed out at the last minute. (wife put the Kybosh to one and the other fell asleep....the lightweight) so anyway, undeterred we went.
Stand 1
The first stand we made we called a coyote up within the first five minutes. BUT, the damn thing wouldn't come any closer than around 350 yards or so. I couldn't clearly see it in the scope so I didn't shoot. It was more or less a standoff for around 20 minutes. Me calling and the yote pacing back and forth on the other side of a fence. Interested but not convinced I guess. I asked randy to take the red lense off and hit it with the white light to see if I could see it better and maybe get off a shot. Well, when the lense came off the yote took off the other way. Now i could see it good by the way but the yote was long gone. well I asked randy to sweep the field with the white light since we were obviously burned and were gonna leave anyway. He swept the field and when the light swept the tree line behind us we could see a BRIGHT pair of eyes around 150 yds or so away. When I looked throught the scope I could see the outline of a small animal but couldn't tell exactly what it was, looked like a coon though. At the shot the eyes disappeared, I missed. But the eyes reappeared around 3 feet away. I fired again and heard the thud of the bullet hit. When I went to retrieve it, I paced off 173steps. Imagine my suprise when I get over to my "coon" and it turns out to be a bobcat. after some pictures and backslapping for my luck... I mean marksmanship. It was off to the next spot.
Stand 2
We set up normal, parked on a fencerow, crosswind with a treeline, with the caller between us and the woods. anything coming from there would have to go out into the field to try and wind the caller. Well, 3 or 4 minutes into the calling and a set of eyes is coming hard from downwind of the caller. Randy gets ready on the gun and I keep the light haloed on the animal. once it gets to within 75 yards or so randy says to light it up. I drop the main beam on it (using the red lense) and its another cat. well, the cat never stopped running all the way to the caller. I tried everything to stop it but it wouldn't stop. I lip squeaked, barked, adn finally shouted HEY, but it never slowed. Randy took a running shot at around 45 yards and missed high, at the shot the cat turned on the afterburners for the treeline and just as it hit the treeline he fired again, missing. we checked for blood but found none. Off to stand 3
Stand 3
same set up as before but a different field. Turned on the caller and ran back to the truck. (foxpro with remote is in the mail by the way, this walking crap to change tapes sucks, Im too fat for it.) anyway, 15 minutes into calling and a yote pops out ot the trees at a lope. I'm on the gun this time, randy on the light. Well, first off, the flipup scope caps are closed, and when I finally get them flipped (turning the power up on my scope to shoot the cat made the rear lense cover end up awkward) I can't cock the hammer on my rifle cuz the cap is in the way. By now the yote is like 30 yds away. Once i get the hammer cocked the yote is 20 yards away on top of the caller. but at 20 yards a yote on 9 power is BIG. I can't find it in the scope. I then try to turn the power down and end up knocking over my binos resting on the roof of the truck. after seeing the caller and hearing me the yote decided to head for a better place. He ran into some crp and I couldn't pick him out to shoot him. Every now and again it would look back and i would see its eyes, a little further away each time. That close and never got off a shot. anyway we struck out the rest of the night, but it sure was fun.
-Nick

Great story and it sounds like y'all did pretty good at calling up animals! What part of W. Texas are you from? Man...I'm a chicken when it comes to shooting at just eyes, I have to be pretty sure since I've had some close calls with deer, lambs, etc.

BTW....Here's something you might try that will help you get their eyes shining consistenly in your direction. Keep the caller in the truck with you and it will make the predator look directly at you instead of the caller that is on the ground. It will make his eyes show up much more and you don't have to go stomping through the brush to change tapes, etc. I never put the caller away from the truck, but then again I also use mouth calls 99% of the time.

Thanks again for the post and keep us updated on any other hunts you go on.

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty

Rusty,
I'm located in Hamlin, about 35 miles northwest of abilene.
As for doing good calling animals, For awhile we couldn't call anything it seemed like. We did real well from sept through early jan, then nothing. Here in the last 3 weeks we got back in the groove it seems like. Doing real well on cats anyway. The one place we go we've called in 6 cats. Must be good habitat or something.
I don't usually shoot at eyes. The only reason I did was because I was CERTAIN there were no cattle or livestock of any kind on that property and the animal was way too small to be a deer. Not too many deer around here anyway. Also the eyes were only about 2 inches apart or so and in the front of the head.
I really couldn't tell you why we put the caller away from our position. It just seems like we see more that way. It also seems like we can get away with more mistakes. We make a few but the people we take with us make ALOT. We also use it to get better shooting position on the animals. For awhile, one place we called with the caller in the truck. the yotes always circled behind us near a small hill out of range. so we started putting the caller around 75 yards out and parking the truck close to the hill. We shot a bunch that way. They woul;d circle like before but we were 75-100 yards closer and in position to shoot them. Then we started applying that to other places we called where we didn't see much. Our success rate went way up. But I do keep the caller on the truck alot too. I guess it just depends on where I go and what the conditions are. I do use hand calls alot too, although mostly during the day. I've lost alot of them taking them night hunting so I usually dont take them at night. The first cat we called in the other night I was using a hand call (dt pc-2). well, sorry this was so long winded. good hunting.

Back