Back from the Show

SteveM

Moderator - Deceased
Back from the Shot Show.
The Savage Predator bolt gun shot really well if anyone is interested in this new rifle. The only .223 load they had to shoot was Green tip military. At 100 yds, 3-shots would touch each other from a rest.

.17 Fireball appears to be a good round but bullet is too light for yotes! Suppose to be coming out with a 25gr load. Also, saw every model of the rifle to be offered. Shot the CDL stainless fluted. It shot very well even with 1500 rds or so through the barrel.

Anything else members might be interested in, please post. Too many things to report on but may have seen or shot something you may have been interested in. Let me know.

What was the weight like on the Savage--- sporter or more varmint weight? What was the deal with the matching camo scope? Did you see the Cooper 52 repeater action? Nikon scopes? See anything new in 17 Remington? Did Federal have loaded 280 AI ammo? Anything new with Kimber in small calibers? Was Todd Kindler telling anyone who would listen what a genuis he is?

Steve,

I've been to the Shot Show, but I wasn't aware that you could test drive the rifles. What can you tell me about this?

GrouseSetter

Dime, Savage is heavier than a sporter. Don't know what you mean about the scope. This rifle had a scope mounted on it with matching camo.

To the best of my knowledge, Cooper was not there.

Did not look at anything Nikon, sorry.

New as in what for the .17 Rem.

Did not see anything in an AI at Federal.

Only thing new I saw for Kimber in rifles was their new Tactical rifle.

Did not see Todd.

They were not speaking of delivery times on the Predator rifle or did I see a price on it. Price should be on their website.

Setter, range day for new products is the day before the show starts and is by invitation only from the Mfg'ers.

Did not check out the Taurus booth, sorry.

Steve , When I asked at the Savage booth on Sat , they told me that the distributers should start getting some of the Predater rifles by the end of March . Not sure how much truth there is to that but that is what they told me when I asked . They also said that they planned to make it in .204 also . That's the one I want .
I also asked the Remington guys about 17 Remington Fireball rifles and the told me that it would probably be late summer before we see any of those .
This was my first SHOT show and man was it a blast ! I'm already planning a trip to Vegas next year !
How would a person go about getting involved in the range day that you mentioned ? I would be real interested in that ! Feel free to PM or email me if you like .

Quote:
Dime, Savage is heavier than a sporter. Don't know what you mean about the scope. This rifle had a scope mounted on it with matching camo.

To the best of my knowledge, Cooper was not there.

Did not look at anything Nikon, sorry.

New as in what for the .17 Rem.

Did not see anything in an AI at Federal.

Only thing new I saw for Kimber in rifles was their new Tactical rifle.

Did not see Todd.

They were not speaking of delivery times on the Predator rifle or did I see a price on it. Price should be on their website.

Setter, range day for new products is the day before the show starts and is by invitation only from the Mfg'ers.

Did not check out the Taurus booth, sorry.

For the 17 Remington, I was hoping some would more firms would chamber for it like Sako/Tikka or Kimber. Seems odd that with Predator hunting being the fastest growing sub-set of hunters out there that more products are not available like the new Savage rifle.

The scope on the Savage was a part of a package deal?

Wish more of the high-end scopes top tier (Monarch and Vari-X III) were available in camo.

Was the Kimber Tactical really fine walnut?

I doesn't look like Savage has updated their site yet, nothing on the new Predtor model that I could find. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Dime,
Most of the mfg'er are too stupid to see how good a .17 is. It is hard to sell them as they don't ever have ad's on them. CZ just cut their 527 .17 Rem due to lack of sales. You can't sell them if no one knows you have it.

High end scopes add to the price of the package. They are looking at price not quality. Scope is a scope to them.

Kimber Tact has syn stock on it.

Rot, saw the F-Class rifle. Looks like a bench rest gun.

John, Leica had a booth. Looked at the new rangefinder but did not get to test them other than in the building. I use the 10x50 Binocular rangefinders.

I was at Shot Show too and noticed that some of Savage's new varmint and target rifles have HEAVY barrels. They're way fatter and heavier than the common .8" diameter.

IMO way too heavy for anything but benchrest competition and I've never seen a Savage at a benchrest match. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$bob$

Back