Savage 110 Package From Walmart

YoungBuck

I received a savage 110 package series from walmart, and the scope doesnt have very good eye relief, because the rings dont sit back far enough because the action is a long action.
My question is... do they make extended rings so the front ring will come over the action like 1/2 and inch?
And if they do.. which brand do you recommend?
btw the savage rifle is very nice for 350$, it is my first centerfire rifle, in .270 for deer.
This is my first "real" rifle, so to me it is nice. It is synthetic/blued, with a free floated barrel, and a simmons scope ( which im sure isnt very good )

Leupold, Weaver and Burris all make bases that do what you want depending on the type of rings you want to use. I prefer Burris signature because they do not damage the scope. Save some money and look for a good scope such as s Burris, Leupold or Weaver. Each of these makes cheap scopes (both in price and quality) and good scopes. Look for at least a Fullfield II, VX(Vari-X) II or weaver V series. Better yet go for Signature, Grand Slam or VX III. Low end scopes will make a difference when it is most important and that difference will be missing or shot or breaking.

You will come to love your Savage. They are great guns and a great value.

Simmons isn't much, but if you can't afford another right away I think it'll probably do fine. I got my very very used Savage with a stock, very very used Simmons on it. VERY used, and it shot great! Poor relief, like you said, and poor clarity, poor light transmission, etc. I replaced it for a more quality optic with a monster objective (50mm Nikon) but it shot, held a zero, and took lots of game over it's storied life! (I killed a coyote with it before I replaced it.) It's a cheapo, but if you need to hunt it for a few seasons, it'll work.

yeah i am saving up for a burris fullfield II, 3-9x40, but im only fifteen so it'll take a while before i have that kind of money, well really i got a ruger 10/22 but i dont consider that a "real" rifle, and i have a 12 gauge, but the savage is my first centerfire, but as of #2, well, i think it will be a while
alright i guess ill go with the burris rings, with the extended front
thanks guys

That simmons is not a bad scope for a .22LR. That is what I did with mine. Also, do not be afraid of used Burris or Leupy's as their warranty is for life and any owner. It saves a lot of money. The samplelist.com is another good source of demo models that save money.

I got this exact package about a month ago. LOVE IT!!! Yeah, I plan on changing out the scope at some point. BUT, I have no complaints about the Simmons now... I've knocked it around a little (not abusive, but getting in and out of the truck for instance) and it is still spot on. Even got a 'yote kill last week at a 100 yards (chest shot, she was sitting facing me).

If you have the Weaver #46 bases on it now. You could buy a #402 extended base which will move it about an inch.

Young Buck,

Take the scope and mounts apart and remount from the ground up. My Savage 10 package came with all scope mounting hardware loose. If you don't reinstall it from step one you are tossing the dice.

While its true that the package scopes aren't the top of the line, you shouldn't let that keep you from enjoying your new rifle. In fact, if I were in your position I would worry about bedding and replacing the plastic trigger guard with a metal one (so you can torque the action screws to spec.)before I would worry about the scope. The replacement trigger guard is less than $30.00 shipped from Sharp Shooters Supply Chasing a good scope sill cost 10X that.

Young Buck,
The Savage should make a very nice rifle for you! The Burris will be a nice upgrade but go ahead and use the Simmons until you can afford to get something else, don't let that stop you from enjoying your rifle. I bought my first "real" rifle from Wal-mart when I was 15 also, I saved up the money from my trap-line and bought a Remington 700 BDL .270 and a Weaver V4 scope with Redfield Jr. mounts. By the time I was done I had almost as much money in the scope and mounts as I had in the gun. BTW the gun cost $169.96 + tax! I still have the price tag somewhere, it sure seemed like a lot of muskrats back then! You have a lot of shooting ahead of you and your Savage will keep right on going, just be safe and please protect your ears and eyes. You can't get those from Wal-mart!

Bob

Also keep in mind that the Savage makes a nice switch barrel Rifle. Changing calibers is simple and can be done at home with the minimum of tools. Want a 35 Whalen for elk hunting, just change out the barrel. Need a 243 for varmits, just changd out the barrel.

Good luck with your new rifle. We all started somewhere and that Savage is a good place to start.

Back