Bobcat Hunting Question

cwbycrshr

I am a relatively experienced hunter; however, I am by no means a professional varmint hunter. I have hunted and called, with reasonable success, both bobcats and coyotes, but I need a little advice on the former.
I have a FX3 but would like some advice on various questions.
How long do you stay on stand for cats? I generally stick around for 25-30 minutes, and if I don’t see any eyes or movement, I take off.
What are some of the most productive sounds for the FX3?
Do you start your volume off low and then increase it after 5 minutes or so, or just let it rip?
Do you use decoys? I have a motion decoy that I have used before, but I am going to try the Turkey feather trick next time.
Do you use decoys at night?
Whether day or night, what is the most productive land? (IE, creek bottoms, rocky outcrops, open pasture, etc)
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
CWBY

Use the bird sounds, like the wood-pecker or flicker. Stay at least 30 to 45 minutes. I'd say let the call run for quite a few minutes at a time scan for eyes crank it up a little more and repeat sounds. I like to set up on brush lines with good cover for a cat to come out of. A decoy would work but I have never personally used on for cats.

I think you aren't getting a lot of responses because you basically have it figured out. I like high pitched busy sounds like the Woodpecker in distress, Lucky bird, Cardinal in distress and Young Bluejay in distress. I don't use very much volume either.
This bobcat came in to Young Bluejay in distress and I used a turkey feather decoy.
IMG_1633.jpg

Here's the decoy:

FX3nDecoy2.jpg

No need to use a decoy at night.

Night hunting has been more productive for me. I like to hunt around rocky outcroppings, creeks and brushy areas that are near those areas.

if you are using the foxpro get the scrub hair.most of my cats are killed withen the first 10 mns of the stand if you pick your stands right they will show there selves real fast.

For me and other callers I know the best time to hunt cats is at night. Not so much that cats are more plentiful at night but seeing them is a whole lot easier.

I've called cats out of bushy dry washes way out away from any real hills or denser areas but have had best luck in foothills and areas with a lot of cover. Rocky areas with brush are great producing areas. Only experience will give you the best ideas where to look for cats.

I've always used the same call I've used for coyotes. If you're specifically targeting cats I would make a 30 minute stand minimum.

Killed all 5 of my cats with a some sort of Jack sound. All of them were killed within 10 minutes. I don't do hardly anything different for killing bobcats vs. coyotes. I am usually just PREDATOR hunting and a cat happens to respond.

Quote:
the bobcat in heat sound on the fx3 is awesome.

I have this one but have never used it. WHen is the best time of year, or are they always lookin for love?

Lt.

Bobcats mate, depending on location, from late January to the end of February. That would be the best time to use that sound to draw them in.

Quote:
the bobcat in heat sound on the fx3 is awesome.

Iv'e had mixed results with the bobcat in heat. Iv'e heard them doing this once in my life time in the field, and frankly, it scared the s@#t out of me.
Do you keep the volume down real low and only play it for a minute then shut it off, or do you keep it running?
I was jacking around last weekend in a wheat field and had deer bedded down about 200 yards away. After about 20 minutes of nothing coming in, I decided to flip on the bobcat in heat and let it rip. Deer left out of there like I was firing a 50 cal at them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back