making a beaver hoop

beaver22

I have decided to make a beaver hoop to hang on the wall. I have never done one before. Does anyone know do I flesh and then stretch the pelt like one normally would and then tan it or do you just flesh it and then tan it without stretching it?

First off you can just by a beaver hoop from www.huntsmart.com under the trapping supplies section. Second if you are going to tan the hide right away I would just let it dry out for a couple of hours so its not soaked but it can be moist. Third, if you are not tanning it right away then I reccomend that you flesh and stretch it so it doesnt get matted after it dries. But wether you plan on selling or tanning a hide you need to flesh it. Also if you go to www.traps4kids.com and go under the fur handling section it will tell you how to flesh, stretch, and skin just about any animal including furbearers. I hope this helps Im not the best at explaining things.

redfoxfur.
Thanks for the info., but that is not the kind of beaver hoop I am talking about. The kind I am talking about are like this www.beaverhoops.com/wall.html and for decoration.
I know they need to be fleshed. I have a tanning solution that I will be using. I am just wondering if I tan it after stretching or do I tan it after fleshing?

You can tan it right away after fleshing. You may also stretch it but there is no need to. pm me some pics of the final outcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I havn't tanned a pile of furs, maybe a couple dozen or so. It has just been my experience that hide turned out better for me if I tanned them without drying first.

Thanks a lot. I didn't see a reason to stretch it, but I thought I'd check with someone who knew for sure. Now to get going on it!

Back