cz 527...bedding the tang?

bushy

is this nessasery? I am bedding my 527 american today and there just doesn't seem to be much room at the tang.

I think I am just going to bed the recoil lug, does anyone know of any problems with this?

thanks

How is it shooting now? Usually I'll bed a rifle if it has an accuracy problem, but won't if it's delivering good groups. Lots of times simply free floating the barrel will solve most problems.

I've bedded both the recoil lug, the action and the floorplate and if you cut away most of the wood to a depth of 1/16 to 1/8 inch with a dremel moto-tool it will work well. Leave several 1/4 inch squares of existing stock to support the action and tang.

If your going to the trouble to bed the action and perhaps the floor-plate it doesn't take much more effort to piller bed the action at the same time. Piller bedding a wood stock seems to be the one type of bedding that makes a big difference.

Most time it's easier to do a bedding job in steps so doing the recoil lug first, then shooting for group improvement would be a good place to start, then do the pillers, shoot for groups, then the action and shoot for groups then the floorplate. You may get to a point that accuracy is enough and you'll want to stop and just shoot it.

I've found on the average that glass bedding can give you a 10 to 15% decrease in group sizes.

Often load development will do the same. Good luck with your project.

Back