870 Super Magnum problems

Huntersdaddy

I have a Remington 870 super magnum, I have owned this gun since it was new, seven years ago. Since the first time I used it I have had a problem with it jamming. I will fire a few rounds and after a while the pump will not pull back. after messing with it for a while I will get it to work again. This seems to be an on going problem. I was stupid not to take it back while it was still under warranty but it's to late now! Has any one heard of this before? I take very good care of it and clean it meticulously. I would like to fix it my self rather than pay a gun smith.

I'd go with what Glen suggests. Mine had the same problem and eventually it smoothed up and stopped doing it. I was shooting some light field reloads and once in a while the crimp would let some loose shot get into the action and I blamed the problem on that.

The biggest problem I had was the recoil with three and a half inch heavy turkey loads. My gun was one of the black stocked ones and recoil was terrible with those heavy loads. Another problem was rust. I swear you could leave this gun in a bucket of oil and it would rust. This was one of the early guns and I understand Remington was having trouble with the new finish they were applying to these guns. I was told they solved most of that rusting problem.

My hunting partner whom shoots a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag didn't seem to have any problems with his and didn't complaing about the recoil problems either. A couple of turkey seasons ago I used his 835 and recoil wasn't a problem. My 870 went to the next gun show and the proceeds went to a new 835.

I shoot an 8mm Rem mag for a deer gun and have never been recoil challenged, but that light 870 just beat the snot out of me.

Anyway bottom line is I'd contact Remington and see what they would do for you.

Huntersdaddy, does the forearm stay locked forward after you fire a round? And have you tried to cycle unfired rounds (carefully with the safety on) and if so, does it work ok? If it only jams after firing a round, check the brass and see if there is a gouge on the side just in front of the rim. If so, I've had the same problem with my work 870s. Look at the extractor cutout on the chamber end of the barrel and see if you feel a small lip in the chamber. The extractor hitting it over the years will cause a small lip of metal to protrude into the chamber. Unfired rounds (dummies) will cycle fine, but when you fire a round, the brass swells and will hang on that lip. Take a small file and CAREFULLY smooth that lip down and it should fix it. Let me know.

I bought one brand new and it did the same thing. It would hang up on the second or third shot every time. It was a piece of junk so i traded it back for a Nova. Best trade i ever made!

I also had the same problem. 1st, Make sure the magazine plug is in like as shown in manual. If that does not work send it to any authorized remington repair place. I sent mine in and have not had a problem since. Paul

Threewolves is on the right track with the magazine plug, if it is not installed the right way it will cause it to jamb. I've had several 870s over the years and own two right now. I would never trade one in for anything, I have hunted waterfowl in some of the most extreme conditions, upland gamebirds in blowing sandstorms and coytes in below zero weather and the only time I ever had one jamb was bacause I didn't clean it when I should have.

I would never trade an 870 for a mossberg. I love my 870 super mag. I had a 835 but traded it for the super mag. It does kick with the 3.5" turkey loads. Mine is the camo gun, and I hardly ever clean it, and there isn't any rust on it (4-5 years old).

I attended a shotgun/carbine course at Blackwater USA back in the spring of 1998, and witnessed several Mossberg operators experience mechanical problems. The 870 operators didn't have any. The instructor a retired Navy Seal (Al Clark) warned us on day one that the Mossbergs would have problems, due to the abuse we were going to put the guns through. It was his opinion that the 870 was the best pump shotgun on the market.

I will end this post with my 835 never gave me any problems, I just never felt confortable with the gun after attending the course.

Back