Sunday hunting in Virginia

Flyrod1

Folks,
M. Cole has filed HB 2303 which would allow hunting on Sunday in Virginia, on private property. The wording of the exception to the current Sunday hunting statute addresses the fundamental rights that should be inherent with the ownership of private property.
HB 2303 has been referred to committee:

AGRICULTURE, CHESAPEAKE AND NATURAL RESOURCES
Cox (Chairman), Morgan, Sherwood, Ware (of Powhatan) (Vice Chairman), Wright, Orrock, Byron, Saxman, Hogan, Cline, Scott (of Madison), Marshall (of Danville), Wittman, Lohr, Plum, Shuler, Eisenberg, Shannon, Lewis, McEachin, Poisson, Bulova.

If you live in any of these Delegate's districts, please call them urging passage of this bill through their committee. This is the best shot we've seen, so far, to get rid of one of VA's archaic blue laws.
Thanks,
F1

There are some guys in the Richmond area that have been real active in pushing this issue. I'm in on the backside, but I've already got some mass NRA emailings sent out and contacted the "right" people in N.VA to get things shaken up. The "anti" group has started rallying their troops, so we'll see what happens. ANYBODY that has an interest in being able to hunt on Sunday, MUST let their voice be heard. If they sit on their thumbs, and let someone else "take care of it" nothing will happen, as usual.
C'mon folks from VA, MAKE SOME NOISE!!!
F1

Good luck guys, I am from Oregon where ya can hunt 365. Since moving to PA I know what ya'll mean about sundays. One thing I like about here in PA is that yote,fox,crow hunters are the only ones allowed to hunt sunday so it does reduce the number of people in the forest on those days.

Quote:
Good luck guys, I am from Oregon where ya can hunt 365. Since moving to PA I know what ya'll mean about sundays. One thing I like about here in PA is that yote,fox,crow hunters are the only ones allowed to hunt sunday so it does reduce the number of people in the forest on those days.

Oldschool,
I'd hate to be limited as to what I could hunt if the amendment passes, BUT, I'll take what I could get. Actually, I would use Sunday, most often, to varmint and predator hunt more than anything else.
F1

Fylrod1, letter sent here's a copy.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am a supporter of hunting on Sunday and I want to give you my views. I have been talking with many people (hunters and non hunters alike) over the past year and have found that most people don’t know or don’t understand why hunting on Sunday is not allowed. We are all free to do anything we want on Sunday except hunt. There is no reason why we should be discriminated against because we like hunting instead of racing cars or playing football. What if the NFL or NASCAR wasn’t allowed in a state on Sunday? How long do think that would last? The guy who takes his family camping or fishing can stay all weekend. Hunting is also a family oriented sport; perhaps even a family tradition for some of us. My children love to go hunting with me. Sometimes they get robbed of that quality one on one bonding we have while hunting because I have to work or they have a school function on Saturday. I might like to take my children one day and have the next day for myself, but I can’t because of an old-fashioned law that needs to be changed. I think there are a lot of people like myself who don’t have a lot of time to voice their opinions because they work 6 days a week and in their spare time they want to go hunting. We are fighting a couple of extremist groups that spend their time trying to keep these old-fashioned laws in affect for their own egocentric reasons. There are also a lot of people who don’t hunt and could care less either way. Maybe with the knowledge that there is a large group of hard working people being discriminated against we’ll be able to get the help we need to win.

Thank you,

Thanks, VA
We need everyone we can get to call and/or write to their state reps. This is going to be a real uphill climb to get passage of this amendment. Email every hunter that's not opposed to Sunday hunting and get them involved. Now I'm going to start working on some lobbying help.
F1

"Just received some bad news:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Sunday Hunting. Unfortunately both
HB1639 and my HB2303, which would have allowed some Sunday hunting, were
defeated in subcommittee.

Mark Cole
Delegate, 88th District
Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Fauquier Counties"
Just thank the Farm Bureau, Falwell, et al. They "got to" the sub-committee members before the vote, surprise, surprise.
F1

Gentlemen,

forgive me if this comes off against or contrary to many of the views shared or expressed in this thread. first, i am a christian. nothing more and nothing less. i have been taught that sunday, is the day of rest.

true, there are many arguments for, and against these amendments. is our earthly status all about our needs? think, for just a second, why do we need to hunt on sunday?
i can't rationalize it. can you? is it because you or i work a monday thru friday job and can hunt only one day a week without taking vacation? you can sling a crank bait on sunday but not a chunk of lead from your favorite rifle at a deer or turkey. do you need that hunting day on sunday to provide food for your family that you harvested on sunday? probably not. then why is it so important that you hunt on sunday? i will tell you why and it will probably not sit well with the majority of the people on this forum. Christ is being erased from our lives in america. some do it willingly like the aclu. the ten commandments now can't be displayed at municipalities but the koran and torah can. why?

others simply don't know Christ at all. sunday is just another day. i'm not advocating mandatory bible study for every american although it would be nice since "we" are a Christian nation. Sunday should be a day for all to take a break from everything except Christ. I am only 37 years old ans i remember the blue laws. you couldn't hardly buy anything. time was spent in church and with family. there was very little violence, corruption, or lack of integrity of our ellected officials. what happened? no Religion, that's what!!!!!!

now, we drive do thru's for our meals, drop our babies off to sitters and pay our bills via internet. are we better off? NO!!!

Sunday should be a day off from everything. if you think you need to hunt on sunday to provide food for your family i am sure God will give you his blessings. if it is for sport, that is between you and him not the ballot boxes.

this may seem to be a religious tirade to some and you are right. america has lost its course. we seek individual satisfaction only and lack the true guidance which upon this country was founded. we are a Christian society, like it or not. the aclu may defeat us in public but not spiritually.

Christian men and women unite!!!! never bow down to the satonic, hedonistic ways that the extemists are presenting publicly. it is okay to be Christian. it is okay to believe in God. and it is okay to to stand up against the the anti-Christian establishment that seeks to derail everything that is Christian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't know pat robertson or jerry falwell. but i do know Jesus Christ. He is in my heart and soul. i will never hunt on sunday because it is not neccessary for my survival as Christian.

May God shed his light on thee,

Creek Chub

Creek Chub,

I lived in VA for 18 years and have lived in NC 27 years. No hunting on Sunday is all I have ever known in my life.

I have never been out of a job since the first day of ninth grade and from that first job through high school, college, and graduate school, I have had to work Saturdays.

I was thankfully born into a Bible believing Christian family and consider myself a Born Again Christian. My wife and I take our three year old son to church every Sunday except if we are ill. We are members of this church and I thank God for Him leading us to it.

I believe it is fundamentally wrong and against the values that this country was founded on for there to be a law against hunting on Sunday. It's dead wrong and I would argue even from a Christian perspective, as God gave us most above all things, a free will, to advocate such a law because one is a Christian. It is akin to going one small step further and making a law that everyone must go to church on Sunday.

I find it hard to find any rational for the 65% of NC hunters who were polled recently and were against Sunday hunting for "religious reasons". I fail to see the connection between hunting on Sunday and the teachings of Christ. None of these people who cite their "religious reasons" can ever expalin this postion to me. Can you ?

I would like to be able to take my son hunting on a Sunday afternoon when he is older. I work on Saturdays and it is by God's choice that I am in this job and one of the requirements is to work Saturday. I am thankful I will be able to take him fishing on a Sunday afternoon, but I find fishing a poor substitute to hunting for outdoor recreation and find hunting by far, more "restful", peaceful, and awe inspiring towards God's creation. I have my most meaningful talks with God while sitting quitely in the woods hunting. I know I would rather my son as a future teenager have the option to spend his time hunting on Sundays than some of the other things the world has to offer by temptation.

Now, maybe because I have progressed to a point in my Christian life and in my reasons for hunting that for me, Sunday hunting is a time of fellowship with God that I rarely get on the days I have to work or watch my son and therfore, for me, Sunday hunting would only serve to bring me closer to God. For others, less mature in their beliefs about God and less mature in the reasons they hunt, I can see Sunday hunting as a hinderance with their walk with Christ BUT, that is not my or your call to make or is it the goverments either. Choosing to hunt or for that matter choosing to watch a football game on a Sunday is between the person and their Creator.

I feel very certain God would rather us be out with friends or family in the woods enjoying his creation and exercising the dominion over animals he gave us than what 99% of the U.S. population does on Sunday when they are not in church.

I was raised to not even cut the grass on Sunday and I still don't regardless of the "inconvenious" that causes me. I will not let another come work on anything for pay at my home or cars on a Sunday. Would you call the fire department to come put out a fire at your home on a Sunday and if so why is that O.K.? I have always had a hard time even eating out on Sunday because it ment I was supporting (if not causing) others working on Sundays; the very thing I think is wrong unless it is in a profession of care or protection.

It has been my experience that most white, southern males consider themselves "Christian" by birthright. Millions will find out on judgement day that ain't gonna cut it. Most of the people that fall into this vague dellisional notion spend a lot of time golfing, watching NASCAR on the T.V. with a beer in hand and might make it to church on Christmas and Easter (if they don't have a bass tournament that Sunday).

I think those that really believe hunting on Sunday is somehow against the Bible should explain this to the rest of us citing chapter and verse. Then explain to us how it fits in with the idea that our country was based on religious freedom (and that includes for some freedom from religion) and why it was not put into the Constitution that we should all not hunt on Sunday in the first place and instead has been made "law" by some of those "christian by birth types" running our legistlators catering to the political contribution$ of the Falwells of the world. For that matter, I don't recall a day of the week mentioned anywhere in it. Maybe James Madison was a fisherman....

I'm getting the general feeling (by way of the Holy Spirit that lives in me and guides me) that those that want to keep me from enjoying God's bounty in His glorious creation with or without the option of passing on this gift to my son are themselves not in church as often as I would be even if Sunday hunting were de-criminalized and are no students of the Bible or the Constitution: two documents I hold very dear and believe Divinely inspired.

Frankly, I think anyone who would go to a public meeting or write to their state's game commission and voice an opinion (that is a personal choice, whereas abortion is not a personal choice as it involves another) attempting to constrain the rights of the public are themselves poor examples of the Christian ideal and a pretty poor example to the world at-large what it means to be an American. Perhaps you think that the new Iraq goverment should ban suicide attacks and hunting on the Muslim holy day, Friday? TGIF will never mean the same....on a multitude of levels.

Postscript: On my drive into work today (Saturday) a thought occured to me: Why do I work Saturdays? Here's why; the Lord created heaven and earth in SIX days then rested. He did not take Saturday off to hunt. Therefore, following "religious reasons" we should all be working six days a week as was our example and resting the seventh. One only has to look at Western Europe to see what the four day work week has done to their economies and one wonders what ours would be like if we all put in a true scriptual week of work.

As far as those that after examining their "religious reasons" opposing Sunday hunting, I have no problem with your personal choice: that's between you and your Maker. However, as I would disagree with your opinion, I would die defending your right to practice it. Please accord me the same.

What difference does it make if you hunt on Sunday. If you choose not to then stay home. What better way to relax on Sunday or any other day than to go hunting. People that are christians will not give up their job if they are scheduled to work on Sunday but claim it is wrong to go hunting, just doesn't make sense to me. Double standard as always. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steve, Amen brother! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif Creek Chub /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Someday all of us have to meet our maker and I would appreciate if you let him make the decisions. I’m beside myself, the nerve of you! I’m going to go hunting and I’m going to think about your statement before I reply because I can't make words right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif. Thank You Chris,

VaPredHunter,

take a deep breath. relax. i am not judging you by any means. i am only seeking to keep a good Christian law on the books. if you don't like it. they are democratic processes that you and many others can follow.

but bear in mind, this board supports legal and ethical hunting and you stated that you are going to hunt on Sunday. in case you didn't already know, it is still illegal to hunt on Sunday. what's up with that?

God Bless,

Creek Chub

bea175,

you are right there are Christians that do work on Sunday. is that a double standard? i do know. you can still work to support your family and have fellowship on Sunday. we have numerous services on Sundays to accomodate everyone.

to me a double standard is for those who commit sins willfully and then when tragedy strikes their family they all of a sudden seek God, and rightly so. that to me is a double standard. hint, God will help if you ask it and more people should.

God Bless,

Creek Chub

Creek Chub, Today is Saturday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif are you trying to say I can't hunt on Saturday now .
Quote:
I’m going to go hunting and I’m going to think about your statement before I reply

Not I'm going to go on Sunday anyway!! Now the time is 9:02PM on Satuday and I'm going back in the woods until 11:59PM. Thank You Chris,

Creek Chub;

Section 16 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia reads:

Quote:
Section 16. Free exercise of religion; no establishment of religion.

That religion or the duty which we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and, therefore, all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience; and that it is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity towards each other. No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain their opinions in matters of religion, and the same shall in nowise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities. And the General Assembly shall not prescribe any religious test whatever, or confer any peculiar privileges or advantages on any sect or denomination, or pass any law requiring or authorizing any religious society, or the people of any district within this Commonwealth, to levy on themselves or others, any tax for the erection or repair of any house of public worship, or for the support of any church or ministry; but it shall be left free to every person to select his religious instructor, and to make for his support such private contract as he shall please.

The First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America reads;

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution incorporates the First into the several states, making them beholden to the same.

Which, in layman's terms, means that no legislature may pass a law, or have a law remain in force, simply for religious reasons.

The ONLY defense to the prohibition on Sunday hunting that is ever honestly bantied about is that it's God's day of rest. That, sir, is a religious rationale, and patently unconstitutional.

More over, it is illegitimate, as you or I may engage in any other otherwise lawful activity on Sundays (fishing, shooting, drinking, playing or watching sports, working, whatever...) EXCEPT hunting. Now, please do explain to me how that is legitimate?

You may have your religious beliefs, and I wholeheartedly support you in having them. However, when your religious beliefs begin to infringe upon the freedoms of others, it is unlawful; just as you would not stand for a Wiccan or Voodoo preist to practice public animal sacrifice, you cannot force your prohibitions on daily activities on others.

You may choose not to work, hunt, or do anything but attend church on Sundays. That is your right, and your choice. However, you cannot, and should not be allowed to, force that lack of choice on others when they do not wish to do the same. Some want to fish, others work, and some of us hunt, on Sundays. That is our right; one guaranteed us by the laws and freedoms of this country... if you actually believe in the freedoms guaranteed under the Constitutions.

The Sunday hunting ban only exists in 7 states, Virginia being one of them. It is religiously based, only, and is illegal.

You ask others to follow the proper democratic processes and uphold the law; yet, your own stance and that of the anti-Sunday hunting forces is patently illegal.

What we are discussing is not a religious agenda, but a legal one. If you can show me a valid legal or scientific basis for upholding a ban on hunting on Sundays, please do so. But, a religious rationale does not pass Constitutional or legal muster, and it is the law that we seek to change.

WOW !!!! One question can some one tell me what the word rest means , because one man may veiw resting deferent from another . One more question ,is it better to go to church on Sunday and then go home watch tv and chug beers for the rest of the afternoon or go out into the woods and enjoy all of Gods beauty ?

FWIW; I just e-mailed the letter below to all nine members of the House Committee on Agriculture, Chesapeake, and Natural Resources Subcommittee on Natural Resources (i.e. the 9 that torpedoed both Sunday hunting bills). Any and all responses received will be posted here.

Quote:
Hon. Del. __________;

I am distressed that both bills that would have allowed limited hunting on Sundays in Virginia failed to pass out of your subcommittee on Natural Resources.

Virginia is one of only seven states that do not allow hunting on Sundays, and one of only seven states that have thus far not heeded the calls by hunters and constituents alike to allow those of us who hunt on Sunday to enjoy our traditions and heritage, and our pasttimes, as any other group may on Sundays. We may fish on Sundays, watch or play sports on Sundays, drink and smoke on Sundays, and in fact, engage in any other otherwise lawful activity, passive or active, on Sundays in the Commonwealth of Virginia, except for hunting.

The Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries "Summary of Virginia Hunters' Opinions on Sunday Hunting", submitted to the General Assembly on January 4, 2007, found that a clear majority of hunters favored having the option of hunting on Sundays.

The VDGIF has indicated that game population numbers are increasing, rapidly, across the state and that hunting on Sunday would result in no negative impacts on game populations.

H.B. 1639, which would have allowed hunting on Sundays from noon to 1/2 hour past sunset was, in my opinion, not a very good bill, but was at least a first step toward rectifying a poor situation in Virginia for those of us who hunt and who work at least five days per week.

H.B. 2303 was a far better bill, and actually granted more authority to private landowners, by allowing only private landowners or written permissees to hunt on private land all day on Sunday.

Neither of these bills passed in your subcommittee, and I, as a constituent of the Commonwealth of Virginia and a hunter, would like to know your vote on both of these bills and your rationale for those votes.

Thank you,

Also, the nine members are listed here:

Quote:
Ware, R. Lee, Jr. (Chairman)
Delegate from the House 65th District (R)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 409
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1065

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 689
Powhatan, Virginia 23139
(804) 598-6696

email: DelLWare@house.state.va.us

Morgan, Harvey B.
Delegate from the House 98th District (R)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 523
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1098

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 949
Gloucester, Virginia 23061
(804) 693-4750

email: DelHMorgan@house.state.va.us

Plum, Kenneth R.
Delegate from the House 36th District (D)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 401
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1036

Mailing Address:
2073 Cobblestone Lane
Reston, Virginia 20191
(703) 758-9733

email: DelKPlum@house.state.va.us

Wright, Thomas C., Jr.
Delegate from the House 61st District (R)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 410
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1061

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1323
Victoria, Virginia 23974
(434) 696-3061

email: DelTWright@house.state.va.us

Hogan, Clarke N.
Delegate from the House 60th District (R)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 805
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1060

Mailing Address:
455 Short Street, Suite 204
South Boston, Virginia 24592
(434) 575-0000

email: DelCHogan@house.state.va.us

Saxman, Christopher B.
Delegate from the House 20th District (R)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 527
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1020

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 2517
Staunton, Virginia 24401
(540) 886-8284

email: DelCSaxman@house.state.va.us

Cline, Benjamin L.
Delegate from the House 24th District (R)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 719
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1024

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1405
Amherst, Virginia 24521
(434) 946-9908

email: DelBCline@house.state.va.us

Eisenberg, Albert C.
Delegate from the House 47th District (D)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 817
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1047

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 969
Arlington, Virginia 22216
(703) 228-7909

email: DelAEisenberg@house.state.va.us

McEachin, A. Donald
Delegate from the House 74th District (D)

In-session address:
General Assembly Building, Room 813
Capitol Square
Richmond, Virginia 23219
(804) 698-1074

Mailing Address:
5905 W. Broad Street
Suite 100
Richmond, Virginia 23230
(804) 288-3381

email: DelDMcEachin@house.state.va.us

You can shoot on Sunday, you can get drunk on Sunday and you can work on Sunday , but personally i would rather go hunting. Hunting on Sunday should be a choice, something you decide for yourself instead of a law making the choice for you. How you decide to spend Sunday or any day of the week should not be decided by religion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Back