Getting disgusted with my 170 scope mounted lightforce.

oiler

I did alot of research on gun mount lights.I bought the optronics and made a mistake didn't like it.After alot of research on this forum,i read the lightforce is the king of scope mounted lights.Went right out and ordered it,took alot of time to get it adjusted but it got done.You can't expect to mount it and it's ready to go,it's all about your preferance on the adjustments and mounting.The 170 is a fantastic light but my opinion is more thought should of went into it,i'm finding some poor craftmanship on it.First of all the phone cord is long and clumsy and gets in your way,they should of designed it where you can detach it from the light until your ready to use it so you can go in the feild and have it in your bag so it's not in your way and just plug it into the light.Seems to make some sense to me.Next after you have your light where you want it,it is not solid it moves a bit up and down and side to side no matter how tight the left and right screw is,i guess they designed it like that for heavy caliber recoil.Sometimes when my light moves forward that little bit,it doesn't come back to position and i lose my beam.And last the battery pack is good with the dimmer great option to conserve power.I don't like getting power to the light with the cigerette male adapter sometimes i can't get a connection and the female part is very sloppy,with the velcro around it.Last night i went walking to a stand a 30 minute walk,took about 20 minutes to set up.Turned my 170 on and no damn light.I tried everything to no avail,boy was i [beeep],they need to redesign this connection.When i got home i jammed the cigerette lighter down very tight in the battery pack and guess what i had pull power.I'm not putting the lightforce down in any way but i want to share with you's the defects that i feel it has,nothing made is perfect,anybody else have similiar problems,thanks Oiler

I have to agree with the cable. It would be nice if it plugged into bith the light and the battery pack. that way you dont have so many wires runnign around while you are trying to set up. I have had no problems with my 170 at all. and mine seems to have absolutly no manufactoring flaws at all.

BUT I do agree there could be a few, very few modifacations to how it is built, just to make it even better than it is.

What I have done to solve my cable problems... is I have added a clip on my lanyard around my neck to keep it from dangling so low.

I also went to Radio Shack and purchase a y-connector for the cig outlet... this solves the problem of connecting it thru the one with the velcro around it. This also lets to utilize another spotlight sharing the battery.

You must have the spot adjusted down to a pencil beam. Try turning the lamp portion until you have a spot beam big enough that you don't lose your sight picture with any movement. My gun rides in a rack with everything attached and I have'nt had any problems. Saltyvarmintr

More good news with the 170.The male cig adapter at the end of the phone cord cracked,and the wires pulled out.The only way around the bad planning and thought that went in to this light,is to do mods yourself,it should not be that way for a price of over $200,i'm ready to give up on this 170,i'm so disgusted with it.In the feild you never know if it's going to work or not.IT would of been great if i was aiming at a coyote ready to fire and the wire pulled out.Its also great dragging around a 5 foot phone cord dragging on the ground or having to wrap it around your gun stock,there should be a disconnect at the lamp so you can carry the coed in your pocket or bag set up and connect it,it doesn'ty take a brain surgeon to figure that out.Good luck to all of you who are having no problems with your 170 scope mount,give it time you will.

thanks yotes,i called and they said he will be back tommorrow from Florida,he is a great guy and i know we will work this problem out.Anyway i bought a new male cig adapter,cut the old one off and spliced it and soldered works great,it's a longer adapter so easy to pull out.

Oiler,
Thanks for your reports. I have been shopping around and have figured that Lightforce would be the light for me. Although, it is a great light (from what I have read elsewhere) it seems as if it could be designed abit better for the hunter in mind. I will hold off abit and see if there is going to be a modification made before I break down and spend that kind of cheddar.

I have used mine ALOT..... not one single problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

LIGHTFORCE RULES /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I was gonna keep my mouth shut, but this morning I got a PM from someone else with the exact same problem as I have with mine. Lightforce is great in theory, but the first one I recieved from Rick in Fla didn't work at all. He told me to call Brian in Idaho, I did, and he took extremely good care of me, quickly. Two day expressed me a new light. Everything was find until I took it hunting. On the last stand of the night, I flipped the switch and no light, checked all the obvious. Then I bumped the inline switch, the light flickered. It would come on about one time out of every three that I turned THE SWITCH on. The switch is obviously faulty. Lightforce simply offered my money back, guess they were fed up with trying to please me. I don't want my money back, all I want is the dang thing to work as designed. I paid good money, real good money for a simple light, it should work. I will modify it myself and make it a useful tool for me. BUT! COME ON LET'S GET IT RIGHT, and stop denying that the problem exists. Yeah right! I am the only one that ever had that problem.

I keep having problems with my BPS getting burned out by using the included charger. I am now sending it in for the 3rd time. I am getting tired of sending it in, but I can say they do take care of me without any complaining every time.

Lt.

any lightforces for sale?I sure could use another!Best dam spotlight I have EVER used /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif pm me if any for sale!!!

This is a copy and paste from Rob424 on another thread. What about it Rick and Brian, so I am the only one ever to have this problem huh? That is three more 170's just today alone that I have learned are having the same problem.

"Cooper I usually can do the shooting with only my princeton tec headlight with red lense but if they get out a little farther I switch on my optronics 100 yard light and that works just fine. I do have a lightforce that I got for christmas but I was having problems with it so I parked it and I'm going to have to send it back soon to get fixed(same problem as others with the switch working intermittently or not at all). The bead is easy to see with the light on as you see a black dot behind the lit up foreground."

Here is another one that is cut and pasted from a PM that I was sent today from Vapredhunter. Yep! I am the only one to ever have this problem, RIGHT! THIS NEVER EVER HAPPENED BEFORE.

"The gun mounted switch didn't work very good so I called Rick at Tuff Lights he said to keep working back and forth maybe it just needed to be worked some . So I worked it, no change, called Rick back he said I would have to send the entire light back and they would fix or replace it"

I've had my 170 lightforce nighthunter for a few years now and my switch is doing the same thing. It wouldn't come on and I was flipping the switch on the cord about 10 times and it finally came on. Now I don't know if it will come on when I need to shoot.

I agree there are some switch problems,No one said you were the only one......

But then again not everyone is having a problem, Brian at Lightforce takes care of the Warrenty end of the Lights....Brian and his Staff are the Warrenty people for Lightforce Lights in the United States......if your having a Lightforce issue, He is the one to talk to for Replacement or Repair..........

His Number is: 208-476-9817

FAX: 208-476-9817

Quote "I agree there are some switch problems,No one said you were the only one......"

You sir are mistaken! I was very vividly told that I was the only one that ever had that problem right straight out of the box.

Don't call me a liar!

I talked with Brian already. He wanted to give me my money back. I don't want my money back. I want the light that I paid over $200 for to work as it was designed and advertised to work. I didn't asked for a third light to be shipped to me and he didn't offer, I assume cause he was fed up with it all.

Rick, I don’t think any of us are trying to bash Light Force. The light is top notch, the dimmer and battery pack are also great, but I must say the wiring harness sucks. I also think it’s a shame to pay $235 for a product then have to modify it yourself. I could have sent mine back when the switch didn’t work. But I figured the next one wouldn’t be any better and I would just have to modify it myself anyway. So rather then sending it back and losing the use of my light for several more days. I asked if it would be ok to modify the switch on my light myself with out voiding my warranty, you said it would be fine but it would void warranty on my wiring harness but not the light. This was fine with me but still don’t think it’s right after spending all that money. Pruson ask me to tell him what I thought of my new light because he had been thinking of getting one. Unlucky for you Pruson had already purchased his light before I sent him my review. I told him about the switch and found out we were both having the same problems. Neither one of us were going express our thoughts in this thread, even though we experienced some of the same problems. I don’t think theirs a better light on the market and if there was Pruson and I would not be willing to keep ours in spite of the problems we would have returned them. So rather then getting offended forward our comments to Light Force in and effort to improve them. In my opinion the wiring harness needs a quick disconnect located up by the light so you can remove the cord without removing the light for transporting from one stand to another. They need to find a better switch ! I have also had to wiggle the cigarette adapter to make the light work so make the battery end a quick disconnect also then put one on the battery box also. You could still have a cigarette adapter it would have to just have a quick disconnect so it could plug into cord. Thank you Chris,

DSCN0856.jpg

Back