308 accelerator bullets

bluedog1us

Can anyone tell me where and if I can get accelerator bullets they made for 308 rifles? Also pros and cons on using these rounds. Also are these rounds accurate enough to consider using on coyotes? I have never shot any of them and just wondering as I hate to think I have to buy another rifle just for yotes. I have used a .22 mag for 45 years but would like more range as 125 yds is about the limit, and I only use head shots since body shots from a 22 mag just doesn't do well enough to justify shooting them there.

The Accelerators "bullets" were actually a .224 bullet in a .30 caliber sabot.

They were loaded and sold by Remington in .30-06, .308 and .30-30 They promised high velocity and visions of turning your deer rifle into a varmint rifle. The accuracy was horrible.

Last edited:
Yes, I know what they were. I was just wondering if they still make them, but if the accuracy is that bad then it probably wouldn't be worth my time and effort trying to locate any. Thanks for the reply.

I just bought some of the sabots to load in my .30-06 and .308. Just was going to be a fun project to see if I can reload them accurate.

Check out Midway, Natchez, or AmmoBank. All pf them have websites. I have personall had good luck with them as LONG as I clean my barrel after 10-12 rounds.

The twist in the .308 isn't designed to stabalize bullets travelling as fast as a .224 diameter bullet being pushed out of a .308 case. I think that you'd get similar accuracy as to an SKS or maybe even worse.

If your not trying to fur hunt whats wrong with the .308. Thats all Ive used for yrs. 125gr Noslers pushing 2900-3000fps is very accurite and very deadly. not to mention you can get alot more range.

do a google on E.Arthur Brown Company. They sell supplies to reload your own. Twist rate of a .30 cal rifle is typically fine for a .224 bullet.

I have some that I'm going to experiment with. I've decided that the key may be to keeping velocities down under 3000 fps, maybe even around 2500 fps, but we'll see how it pans out.

Concur with those who have commented on the Remington sabot loads. Tried them in 30-30 with rather poor accuracy. OTOH, they were ok accuracy wise out to about 100 yards for a coyote sized animal.

They still make them, but I haven't seen a dealer carry them in 20 years - the accuracy is awful.

If you aren't collecting hides, try the 308 loads with the 110 bullet - drop a yote DRT, no doubts about it!

I saw some of those (QUITE a while back) at a local store (which also sells some guns and ammunition)...

Personally, I don't know what's wrong with the .308 (without the Sabot) for Coyotes. That's what I've been using, and it works GREAT!

My friend (Chuck) has worked up a load of Hornady 155 gr. AMAX (which is a match bullet). It's chronographed at 2900 fps, and is VERY accurate. Any decent hit from a .308 will be fatal. Chuck has been amazed to see that the Hornady AMAX's leave a SMALLER (usually) exit would than his .243

On more than one occasion (from the front) the bullet has not exited (no fur damage). In fact the ONLY time we've had significant fur damage (still sewed up just fine, just took longer) was when I hit 'em too high...

I know lots of folks want to use a 22-250 or .223 or .243 or whatever... I use the 155 grain AMAX for Coyotes, and the 150 grain Interlock for larger game. The point of impact (at least for MY rifle) is almost identical.

Best of Luck with whichever one you choose.

Hunt Safe!

70Tactical

Back