MN misc. hunting reports (spot&stalk, light hunts, daytime calling)

I made three sets this weekend, one Sat morning, one that evening, and one Sun evening and only called in an owl. I hope we have some north wind during the next moon. The spot on Sat evening had an unreal amount of tracks, but would be better to call with a north wind.

Got out with Phil last night for 1 set. We cut tracks on the way in the wind was right,though a bit stiff. they must have known the mighty hornet was on point and ready to rock because they never showed. Had the yotes known my fingers were frozen and felt like polish sausages maybe they would have given it a go. A good time was had anyway, I am proof you are never too old to learn from a young buck. Thanks for the hunt Phil.

nothing this am but howls without coming in. going to go ask some farmers for permission today so i have new ground tonight.

made 3 sets this am, had trouble seeing--- seeing my a$$ going in to work, called in first two spots, nothing but tracks, last one by Father in-laws and had a single mutt sit at the edge of the brush line about 300yds and just stare at in my direction, then someone on a snowmobile came across the field heading past it, got up and walked away.
OH well, back at home now waiting for the fridge repair man and his hairy du-pa to show.

Went out this morning and made 3 sets. Guy I went with took his first Red Fox but it was really mangy. First one with mange this year. Too bad it was his first, he was excited but wanted one to get tanned and this wasn't it.

Had a fisher scare the crap out of him on another set and a wolf howl at us at another. We were hunting north of Sandstone in the Nemadji State Forest. Good area and lots of tracks.

Tim

Made one set after work tonite east of Castle Rock. There sure is alot of tracks around there and you the rest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Phils siren trick was just tried by the Farmington fire dept- they drove down pilot knob - you should have heard the yotes-- sounds like at least 5 in the farms behind my house, That was cool!

tried 3 sets tonight and a deer about made me soil trousers. next deer season i am gonna throw out my grunt tube and use puppy cries. well i am gonna hit two new farms in the am

Called one spot before dark tonight....Nothing. Then decided to drive to an area I had heard coyotes answer the siren about 3 weeks ago and havent been back since. So we stopped at the same spot and sounded off.
A couple started yipping back from about a mile or so away, Not far from one of the lakes. This is a good lake....not one house on it. It was about 6:15pm. The sun was way down, but we were only about 3 miles from the closest town and we had overcast skies. In case you havent noticed, the towns lights bounce off of low clouds at night and light the snow up pretty good.

So we headed out onto the lake. Started with pup howls, nothing, Then mating sqweeks, nothing, then coyote racoon fight, nothing. Then I went to the old rabbit distress on my turkey diaphragm. About 5-6mins of that sound, on and off, I saw one real close, By close I mean 30yds close. Before I had a chance to do anything it caught my scent and was on a quick retreat. I barked and howled but to no avail. I missed a pretty easy galopping shot. Then I see that there are actually two coyotes. I keep barking and get one to stop....BANG-SLAP. One down, one to go, But I see nothing. I ki-yied for a couple minutes but wanted to go get my prize. About 130 steps, a young 28.3lb male. I guess I got an early jump on the Feb. moon hunt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should ad that I had been calling for just over 30mins when they arrived.

Last edited:
My son had to work Sunday morning so I went out without a wingman. Called in a pair that came bounding up in less than two minutes. They managed to get behind and wind me before I had a decent shot. I only managed a few parting shots in order to check their afterburners. Later in the day my son came along and we were going to try one spot that was only good for the east wind we had that day. Had him sit behind and downwind of me to watch two small ravines that dump into the valley. I called for about 20 minutes but nobody wanted to come out and play. Since it was gonna be too dark for another set anyway, I figured I call one more time and give it another 5 minutes. Just before calling it quits and standing up, I gave one slow look around and spotted something dark by a gate post in the fence line at base of one of the ravines. (Yeah, one of the ones my son was supposed to be watching.) It looked more like a big feral than a coyote so I figured what the heck. I shifted my rifle to turn around but my call hanging from my neck clunked against the stock ever so lightly. It wasn't very loud at all but it was enough to send the "Bobcat" back up the ravine and into the pine tress where it came from. I got a good look at it in the scope but my son never saw a thing! We had to go check the tracks before he believed me. Over the past few years there have been a few cats showing up on trail camera pics here in the SE, but this is the first one I've ever seen. Sure was cool!

Quote:
it was enough to send the "Bobcat" back up the ravine and into the pine tress where it came from. I got a good look at itQuote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif I've never seen a bobcat in my life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

I have plenty of stories from past hunts, that involve my partner not seeing the animal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
Phil you got another coyote you almost make it look easy.
Nice pic too.I'll be going out tomorrow after work and this weekend. Still looking for my frist. I seen a bobcat last archery deer season but I let him walk.

There's is no werry here looks like I am leaving them all.
I only had time for one set tonite, hunted on a new farm and did not see anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You guy's are gonna hate me...But I did'nt kill anything so take it easy on me ok. My father did though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.

My phone rang at about 5pm. He asked if I was anywhere close to his place (thats where my rifle is). Nope I told him. He had a coyote in a field not more than a mile and a half from the home place and did'nt think it would stay long enough for him to grab his .244 and come back. I told him to get on it after he told me it was'nt realy going anywhere, And we ended the conversation.

He ran home and grabbed his whites and his rifle and the stock began. As soon as I hung up the phone I was out the door and on my way. When I drove by his pickup I saw him walking way out in the middle of the feild. I drove around the section looking to get a glimps. I called him to ask where it went and he said he was dragging it! YES! He snuck to within 265 lassered yards before the yote picked him off and started towards cover. It did'nt go far.
I was out my door so fast I forgot to grab my camera, But if ya wanna see the pics. pm me your cell number and I'll send you the multimedia picture he sent me.

OH YEAH...I almost forgot. It was a 30.11lb male. The mating season is upon us. Has been for a couple weeks IMO.

Last edited:
Back