Using a "Decoy Heart" to make a moving decoy.

titanium

Has anyone made their own moving decoy using a "Decoy Heart" as the unit to give life to the decoy?

I have one that I put into a "Thumper Rabbit". I just hang it on a small tree or bush letting it struggle about 1 to 2 feet off the ground.

What have you done with yours?

Dont know what a decoy heart is, but have a toy that i originally got at a pet store that has a plastic ball about raquet ball size with a motor inside that makes it wobble and roll around. It has a fake fur tail attached. I am working on a set-up that would give it plenty of movement in the field. this seems to draw the attention away from me but not sure how effective it will be once they get closer. I figure if i use a remote speaker placed near the decoy this should work like a charm.
Huntinbull

Hello Huntinbull,
A "Decoy Heart" is a ball just like the one you are talking about. Mine is a little larger than a baseball. It has one AA battery and works the same as the one you described above. The web page showing a picture of it and the place to buy it is at this link: http://www.decoyheart.com/

I heard about it on a Primos "The Truth - Predator Hunting" Video. I guess it is also used in rubber goose, duck, and turkey decoys to make them move. The inventor uses it in the video for many of his hunts.

When I get my next cottontail rabbit, I think I'm going to skin it "case" style and put some light stuffing into it. Then I'll put the Decoy Heart inside to make it "irresistible". I'm just trying to get more ideas. Maybe I will try to find a styrofoam rabbit body, the kind that taxidermists use, then put the decoy heart in there.

Why don’t you just get a Predator Supreme decoy that already has the Decoy Heart already in it, they are only $39.99 and that thing really dances a jig and the tail flips around like crazy!

Hunt i have the ball that you are talking about it is called a weasel ball and i have made a nice decoy out of it by just hooking it up to a fiberglass rod wich is on a spring and it works great... if you would like more details post me

Hello Drago,
Did you mount a spring on top of your fiberglass rod? I am looking for a good spring to use and just thought of using a spring that is commonly found in brake parts kits for rebuilding a set of drum brakes. The old springs have enough life left in them and are strong enough to make the decoy bounce around.

Yes, how did you make your decoy. I am open for any suggestions. Like fly tying, I also get more satisfaction when I get my fish or game with something I made myself.

Thanks for posting!

titanium

I used a liner for a mig gun. I have them laying around all over at work...I tried a regular spring but time i got done with most of them they were so short it didnt work real well..... I'll see if i can get a pic of it an post it.....

That sounds like the idead I came up with, but mine involved a short section of rubber hose, like large fuel line or small heater hose, to fit over the end of the stake and impart more motion. I used to use a 16x16 inch piece of plywood with trim to keep the ball from rolling off and sandpaper for a neutral colored covering and traction for the "weasel ball". But if it wasn't level the ball would just lay to one side and barely twitch. A work in Progress!!
Huntinbull

Here's a tip about the batteries: if you are mounting the ball on something, be sure to mount it so the weight is moving mostly horizontally, and very little vertically. That will keep the battery from going dead so fast. If there is vertical motion, the motor has to "lift" the weight so it sucks more power.

I have been planning to get a stuffed bunny from my 6 year old's collection and get a "bumble ball",a toy we used to have that flops around,much like a decoy heart,and put a short tether on it so it would flop around like a wounded rabbit.Now that the holidays are almost over,I can turn my attention to it and will post up later on how it works out.

I have the predator supreme with the decoy heart. It works well the motion is horizontal. If it begins to lean, it will just barely move.
I have a home made electronic calling box with a car stereo and speakers. On top I have a rubber ducky AM/FM antennae (also used as a ATV stereo). I use duct tape to strap the stick from the decoy heart to the rubber ducky. This adds a little more motion to the decoy. The antennae is strong enough to hold it all up, but allows it to wobble around.

I took a Decoy Heart,glued a .38 case to the bottom, went down to the hardware store,purchased a realitivly stiff spring that fit that 38 case,put that spring on an arrow shaft,the decoy heart on top the spring, Wraped that contraption with the white of a bobcat fur,used 3 tails,2 for the ears and 1, for what else but the tail.Work real well.

Thanks MO!
That sounds like the best and easiest idea I have heard so far.

I guess you could also make a stand with a small base for using it in the frozen ground.

Looks like I'm going to do it like you did.

Titanium, just remember to keep it low key the use of motorized decoys in PA doesn't bode well with your local Conservation Officer, but on the bright side it is only a 100. fine plus 47. magesterial costs. just a thought though.

Yea,
I already know that. It is a shame that predator hunters can't use them here.

I plan on using one in the future to take video, pictures, and to learn more about calling. I also hope they will change the law in the near future in PA. I see no reason why predator hunters can't use one to cut down on some of the coyotes here.

I also plan to hunt out of state in New York, Kentucky, Ohio, or even Illinois. My dream is to go deer hunting in Illinos where the deer are much bigger in weight and rack. They also have a lot of coyotes in the above states.

Who knows, I might even invent my own style of decoy and go into business.

Thanks anyway.

titanium :rolleyes:

I went as far as buying 2 big kids stuffed dogs,they look like St. Bernard's. I place them some feet apart & turn on my cassette of Puppy wines & cries, fools "Ole Wiley" every time. I also at times bought stuffed kids stuffed Rabbits that are on sale round Easter time, Pull out some of the stuffing & put in the " Decoy Hart" works great also.

I had one years ago paid about $10.00 for it directly from DECOYHEART.COM I believe that some time in the early 2000.? They sold their rights to Promos.? Who now sells them for apx 25 30 $$$ on Amazon.?

A large stuffed Toy Rabbit.? If you pull out some of the stuffing.? just enough to slip in the Decoy Heart.? & mount it with a flex type spring then onto a wooden Dowel.? works Great & not expensive to make either.?

Back