Driving Coyotes

hemlyb

Deer driving techniques for coyote hunting. I have not personally practiced this technique specifically for coyotes but we have great luck seeing coyotes during deer season as well as fall turkey season when trying to bust up flocks of turkeys. Basically the geography of New York State is rolling hills with logging roads or power lines cutting through them vertically. We use 6 or 8 guys to push/drive staring at an open powerline/logging road following the side of the hill and 6 to 8 guys to watch at an opposing power line/logging road. Here in Steuben county New York we are limited to Shotgun "slugs" only during deer season. I personally believe most people who practice this would be most effective/safest with shotguns loaded with #4 Buck even though rifle is an option for coyotes. Although we didn't see many coyotes this year during deer season last year we had a drive that pushed 6 coyotes nose to tail right to one of the watchers and another drive that pushed 3. Mind you both these drives were in less than 20 acres of land.

So how many northeasterns are using this technique and what is your kill ratio?

we use beagles to run the like rabbits.killed 45 yotes 2 years ago and 60 last year in the snow. you can do the same with people find a fresh track in the snow and start folowing it place sitters all around the block. # 4 buck copper plated winchester hilly recamended.

Yes we do drives of sorts.mostly tracking in the snow.two years ago we harvested 46 coyotes,and last year only 26.this past year the count was down because of the lack of snow.we do not use dogs.we are located in s.w.michigan,mostly dairy and hog farms.# 4 buck works well,as we also use .223,22-250's.a few years ago i even shot one with my .357 mag.good luck and good hunting!

Quote:
we use beagles to run the like rabbits.killed 45 yotes 2 years ago and 60 last year in the snow. you can do the same with people find a fresh track in the snow and start folowing it place sitters all around the block. # 4 buck copper plated winchester hilly recamended.

Ohiotrapper1984
do you just walk/drive around and look for tracks in the snow or do you do like rabbit hunting,,go to a good area and turn the dogs loose
and aren't you afraid of a coyote eating your beagles?
Thank you
Bob

I've heard some of the old timers here say that beagles make real good fox hounds. When we run fox with coyote hounds the fox run out so fast and usually end up in a hole. They say that a beagle will run them slower and they will circle and present a shot. Maybe a coyote will do the same?

I would think numerous beagles would spook yotes to run .
A single beagle running a pair or more of yotes would
probably end up lunch.

Hello, When I lived in Indiana a few of my buddies drove yotes and did pretty good. They had permition from most all the people in about a 5-10 mile area. It was mostly farm land with small wooded lots, and alot of intersecting roads. Two guys would pick up a fresh set of tracks, one with shotgun and one with rifle. The rest of the group would position themselves in surrounding areas just off the roads where they could cover a good area. If the yote made it through to another lot they would just repeat it, and more often than not they would end up kicking up a few more along the way. Year before last they had racked up around 90 or so.

Great!!!

We've had a couple beagles over the years that would drive a fox. Not all will take a fox track. Never had a beagle take a coyote. Back in the day when we ran foxhounds (walkers,redbones,blueticks) we would still get coyotes turning on hounds to fight even while running several hounds.

There are guys in Minnesota that do this type of hunting but be careful! Just this weekend here in our state, a hunter was shot by one of his friends while shooting at a coyote. Reports are that there were 10 guys in the party. Be careful!
It would be wise if you are going to do this, wear blaze orange just like you would for deer hunting. The fellow that was killed was wearing camo.

wearing orange would be a really good idea. and i have seen a beagle pulling on a yotes tail while trotting across a field. darndest thing i ever seen.

sorry ohio bob didnt see your post. yes we drive around and look for tracks crossing the road. one person walks in with the dog until they really start barking and then we cut them loose but usully only use one dog and the yote dont mind and just trot in front of the beagle. we tried using more than one and thats when the yotes either ran straight out the other end of the woods like a streaker that would turn on the dogs. with one dog usully the only time they turn on the dogs is when they get trapped in a log. when they dont have a way out they get really mean we had a guy get bit when we pinned a yote in a log walked up to the log and the yote ran straight out the log and bit him in the leg. luckly he had on carharts and it didnt break the skin so if you start running yotes with dogs be careful.

I've never heard of beagles used to run coyotes. Here it's always the bigger framed longer legged hounds, never beagles. We have had coyotes jump our rabbit dogs (beagles) at times over the years. Never the other way around.

Originally Posted By: GCI've never heard of beagles used to run coyotes. Here it's always the bigger framed longer legged hounds, never beagles. We have had coyotes jump our rabbit dogs (beagles) at times over the years. Never the other way around.

2b23c3702cca195d90526dcd3d063bec_zpsmk5msm0z.jpg

Back